Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Trying to sync cheap flash with KX builtin

I don't use the flash for anything important, so when buying a separate flash I just got the cheapest I could find and a cheap infra-red remote trigger. I was planning on just playing around with it, but I'm having trouble syncing it with my Pentax KX's builtin flash.

I'm using a Seagull SYK-3 to try and set it off at the same time. It seems to flash at the same time to the naked eye but it doesn't register on the picture as having being captured. This is at appropriate shutter speeds, including up to 4 seconds leading me to believe it's flashing too early. I read about preflash but trying to disable it seemed not to help. I probably have tried all the wrong options, but I'm hoping the option is there somewhere and not non-existent.

Will I need to buy a sensor that takes into account preflash? Or is there someway to disable it? (assuming it is my problem) I've tried manual focus, setting AE-L (with setting 4) and a few other things that haven't seemed to work.

Hoping to find a solution and thanks in advance.

08-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The P-TTL pre-flash cannot be disabled! It's what the camera uses to meter its flash.

So, you have 3 options:
- buy an optical slave that can take the pre-flash into account.
- buy a radio slave (it will be triggered at exposure only)
- put your lens aperture out of A (but then your on-board flash will be firing at full power, can be a problem)
09-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much. I took your advice into account and I got a optical slave that can takes pre-flash into account and might get a cheap radio slave some time in the future to play around you.
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
The P-TTL pre-flash cannot be disabled! It's what the camera uses to meter its flash.

So, you have 3 options:
- buy an optical slave that can take the pre-flash into account.
- buy a radio slave (it will be triggered at exposure only)
- put your lens aperture out of A (but then your on-board flash will be firing at full power, can be a problem)