Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #1

memory card full?

I am VERY new to Pentax and photography. If I have a 8GB SD card and have only taken about 30 pictures, why would it be telling me that my card is full??

09-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best bet is that there is other stuff on the card. Copy the pictures to your computer, and then reformat the card in-camera.
09-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Did you format the card before using it? was there other stuff on the card before you started taking pictures with it?
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes you say that you have only taken about 30 pictures. Is it possible that someone else has used the camera and taken something like three thousand other pictures? Before you check for images you may want to ask your brother first. Could be a bunch of nudes you would not care to see. If on the other hand your sister borrowed it... Post up!

Sorry. That is just a little funny to me. No offense.

I am sure by now you have come to a conclusion and remedied the situation but I hope you saved the 30 images to your pc before you formatted.

09-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Where did you get the card? If on ebay, there is a scam where by they take very cheap small cards (256K, etc.) and reprogram/relabel them to indicate to the camera that they are 8GB cards, however after a few images, you run out of room.

Now, there is also the potential, that it was just not formatted properly, and by having the camera format it (after saving your current images off on the PC), that everything will be alright.

01-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just purchased a K-7 and had this issue as well. It happened with two different sdcards that I had formatted with the K-7. These cards were used without problem with my K-x for two months. I'd start taking pictures and would get the "memory card full" message when clearly the card was not close to being full. It would actually create an empty .dmg file each time the error message displayed. Multiple empty files could be created.

I checked the firmware version and discovered it was still 1.0. So I upgraded to 1.11 and filled the 8G card that I had issues with this morning, without issue.

Time will tell if the "memory card full" issue is actually fixed. But you might try upgrading the firmware if you're still having the issue.
01-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

I don't have this problem, but put a new 16G SD card in my new Kx and didn't format it, I've taken a couple hundred pix and gotten them off the card onto the pc ok. So do I have to format it? Would there be any advantage since it's working ok now? Says I have room for 500+ more pix at best quality and both RAW & jpeg.
01-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
I don't have this problem, but put a new 16G SD card in my new Kx and didn't format it, I've taken a couple hundred pix and gotten them off the card onto the pc ok. So do I have to format it? Would there be any advantage since it's working ok now? Says I have room for 500+ more pix at best quality and both RAW & jpeg.

I don't know the MP count for the kx but my k2000 says I can store about 1850 images (10.1 MP) on an 8GB card. Mine was formatted in the camera. YMMV.

01-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
I routinely format my cards after downloading the pictures to the computer to give the camera a change to create a mint file system that should match its idea of a proper FAT implementation (FAT is a de-facto, not a formal standard). This empties the card in one convenient operation and makes explicit file system checks unnecessary as well.
01-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Easiest way to tell is to insert the card into your computer and see if there are any non-photo files on it. If so then you have your answer. If there are no other files then you might have a faulty card. If this is the case try re-formatting the card, if that does not work then return it.