Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about selling to KEH

I have been meaning to consolidate my lenses and get rid of old film bodies. I have a bunch of nice used Pentaxes from c. 1980 to 1990-ish, K1000, ME, ME Super, KM. Two I bought, one I "inherited," another I was given. All were ones I used then, not things I've collected since.

But the fact is I won't go back to them, and thought I might roll the money into some more nice primes for the DSLRs than the K, M, and A ones I have (which I got/used with those bodies). So, I've been trying to pay attention to the review prices, get a feel. The other day I saw a poster mention selling to KEH, a place I was unfamiliar with. I looked up some prices there for their used purchase prices and was shocked. Many of their prices suggested for the grades of lenses/bodies I have were much more than I thought. Are those accurate reflections of what they pay for working items in the conditions listed? It would be awfully convenient to mail everything to them. But also, if the marketplace yields similar prices, it might be more sporting to pass it along to other forum members directly instead.

I would like to know how KEH operates and also any pointers about getting rid of multiple bodies/lenses.

09-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Oro Quote
I looked up some prices there for their used purchase prices and was shocked. Many of their prices suggested for the grades of lenses/bodies I have were much more than I thought.
Have you studied eBay prices lately? Because actually, KEH prices are pretty good--and at least you know you're getting properly graded gear.
09-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

KEH makes a profit selling used gear. They sell the gear at fair market value. That means they buy the gear at wholesale prices. If you have a lot of stuff to sell and want to sell it quickly, that may be a good route to go, but if you want to maximize your selling price and can be patient, you are probably better off selling the items yourself at fair market value.

That's the way I see it, anyway.
09-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
KEH makes a profit selling used gear. They sell the gear at fair market value. That means they buy the gear at wholesale prices. If you have a lot of stuff to sell and want to sell it quickly, that may be a good route to go, but if you want to maximize your selling price and can be patient, you are probably better off selling the items yourself at fair market value.

That's the way I see it, anyway.
Yep, that's the way it works.

09-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

When I bought the K-x I sold my Panasonic FZ-8 to KEH. They gave me $110, I would never have gotten that on eBay. Usedcamera.com only offered me $50.
09-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Anyone know how Adorama compares? they claim "top dollar" on their site and also don't give you an instant quote
09-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about Adorama, but I sold some stuff to B&H once. They gave me more for it than I would have expected, and the whole thing went smooth as silk, albeit a bit slower than I had expected. They didn't actually receive it in the used dept until 3 days after the package had been delivered, but all in all, things went very well.
They have an on-line quote system. You describe and grade (according to their guidelines) your equipment. They email you a price. If, when they receive the equipment, it is as described, they send you a check or give you store credit. (your choice)
09-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Oro

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira:
Because actually, KEH prices are pretty good--and at least you know you're getting properly graded gear.
Yep, that's what I see. It seems like KEH prices are REALLY good. I was a "market" guy in the 90s, I worked in capital markets in sales and trading. Markets are efficient. It seems KEH is paying more than average Ebay prices. So, presuming they pay what they say they will, that makes me think they get premium prices on the sales end for having inspected, graded, and then assured their buyers. Unlike taking a risk on Ebay or elsewhere. So they seem to be the "premium" reseller.

Looking on some ebay ads and local craigslist, I assumed some of my SLR bodies were worthless - maybe $10 each. Heck, I could get to Vegas for a weekend on what KEH is willing to offer for them. Whoo Hoo! (No, I'm just kidding - while the prices are real, I'm not the "weekend in Vegas" kinda guy. Just making a comparison - but I could get an auto-focus prime with the money. Whoo Hoo!).

I find this interesting, and it also compels me to want to watch their inventory and find the one or two odd old primes I want. It's easier, and unlike ebay you apparently won't be surprised and you will be pleased with what you get. Interesting. Rarely does someone in a transparent market get to set their own prices like that. I'm impressed.

09-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Oro, did that with KEH, as above, expect wholesale, what I had was a complete
piece of crap, bought off Ebay, didnt get much for it, took a beating in getting rid of it.

Prices are higher there, but you dont run into gum bumping phonies.
09-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #10

I've done business with KEH in the past, and each time I've come away well satisfied with the people, the prices and the equipment. Nothing but thumbs up here!
09-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

KEH is great to deal with. I have bought many items from them. As to your question, I have traded items which is a better deal. I traded a flash and spot meter and incident meter for a LN Pentax 43 mm limited and even had a little cash sent by check.

If you see an item that you want, call them and tell them that you are interested. Then tell them that you have items to trade and want to use the funds to make the purchase. They then take the listing off the site and hold the item until your items can be reviewed and a dollar amount can be determined. They are pretty quick with this as they are holding an item from selling. Then they call you and give you a price to accept or reject. If you accept it they apply it to a purchase. You pay for any difference unless of course your items are worth more and they have to pay you. Also IIRC, they can offer like 10% more for your stuff if you are trading it in rather then just getting cash. Finally, their catalogs usually have a trade in coupon of some sort like free shipping or $10 bucks off. I enjoy buying from KEH and would not hesitate trading in items if they had something I wanted. Also, living 2 hours from KEH all UPS ground shipping is 2nd day!
09-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I sold a lens to keh and it was an excellent transaction. I had gone through the on-line quote, and specified the best condition on the form, but when they received the lens, they offered to pay more. The process did take several weeks, but it was an unexpected bonus to receive more than the on-line quote was for.

Paul
09-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Anyone know how Adorama compares? they claim "top dollar" on their site and also don't give you an instant quote
Personally I'd like to see the used department be a bit more forthcoming in giving over-the-'phone estimates prior to a visual examination of gear.
However, they will send out a pre-paid label for you to send it in for evaluation - and if you aren't happy with he quote, they'll ship it back fully insured, at no cost to you.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do email me: HelenO@adorama.com

NB We are entering our Autumn holiday season kicking off tomorrow (Wednesday September 8th) when we close early, re-opening on Sunday. So please check our website over the next few weeks if you have an urgent order to place.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 09-07-2010 at 06:00 AM.