Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SamWarrick Quote
Hi there guys, I'd like to ask for some help. Recently I bought a Hanimex 135mm f/2.8 manual lens. It looks used, but mechanically it works like a charm. The aperture blades aren't stuck, the aperture lever is working as it should. At least in my hands. The problem is when I mount it on my K-x, and try to use it in manual exposure, I can't stop it down using any of the buttons, EV +/-, AF/AE-L, Green Button set to Tv Shift, nothing stops down the lens even though the aperture ring isn't set to 2.8. And yes, the ring is working while the lens is off camera. It doesn't have an "A" setting. So when I push the Green Button while the ring is set to 11 for example, it does not stop the lens down, instead takes a meter reading at 2.8. When I take the shot, the camera stops down to the ring setting and takes the shot with the shutter setting metered to f/2.8. So shots taken on other aperture value than f/2.8 are always underexposed. But it seems like the aperture lever is operational because at exposure the lever is released. But to take a meter reading I simply cannot stop down.

Do you guys have any ideas what could cause the problem? Thank you for your help.
Have you changed in Custom Settings "USING APERTURE RING" to PERMITTED ?

Last edited by RuiC; 09-03-2010 at 12:24 PM.
09-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
M42 lenses are wide open unless the camera pushes the pin. Pushing the pin stops the lens down to the working aperture. This is the opposite of a k-mount lens. A k-mount lens, off camera, will stop down, because the camera is not holding the aperture open. An M42 lens is wide open until the camera stops it down.

This is why M42 lenses without the auto/manual switch are not very useful on a dslr. The camera lacks the ability to push the pin, so the lens can not be stopped down.
Modifying a M42 without the auto/manual switch isn't all that difficult.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/51749-m42-auto...ification.html
09-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #18

Original Poster
Yup, I've forgot to mention, the lenses are K-mount, without an "A" setting on the aperture ring. All manual. So K-mount, no auto aperture. I'm close to selling those lenses and buying someting similary fast auto lens.
09-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, I've forgot to mention, the lenses are K-mount, without an "A" setting on the aperture ring. All manual. So K-mount, no auto aperture. I'm close to selling those lenses and buying someting similary fast auto lens.
Yep--that's the deal.

09-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Thanks for the tips, but I've already done those. The camera is set to manual, the Green Button is set to Tv Shift, aperture ring isn't set to 2.8, and yet if I press the Green Button, EV +/-, AE-AF-L buttons, it takes a meter reading at 2.8. Doesn't stop down. And if I set the Green Button to Optical Preview and press it, still nothing happens. The camera does not release the lever in any scenario, only at exposure. I own a Cosinon 50mm f/2 manual lens, I have just tried it to see if the problem occurs, and guess what, it does. Same as the Hanimex. And this one is working off-camera too, blades/lever/ring working properly.

I have no idea what could be the problem. I hope someone does. Thanks in advance.
when you say the camera is set to manual, please clarify, Manual focus, or Manual exposure mode? K mount lenses, with no A setting on the aperture ring only stop down when the exposure mode is set to manual. then you dial up the aperture you want, using the aperture ring, and the lens will stop down when DOF preview is activated (over rotation of the on off switch) or when the green button or equivelent function (AE Lock on the DS) is pressed. Note that the "Green Button " function only stops the lens down for about 1 second, just enough time to meter.

Otherwise the lens always remains at maximum aperture to focus, stopping down to take the shot.

Don't give up that easily. The lenses "should" work on the camera, I have yet to find a K mount lens that will not.
09-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #21

Original Poster
The camera is set to manual exposure and manual focus, if that matters anyway, the hanimex has an aluminium mount, which does not have a finish, but I've cleaned it anyway, it haven't done anything, still cannot stop it down. I'm out of ideas.

How about you guys?
09-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Only desperate ones. Since you say this happens wiht more than one lens, it seems there is very little chance it is a lens problem. That leaves the camera and you as the constants. Sure sounds like you are doing everything right, so that leaves the camera as the most likely culprit. Obviously the aperture control works physically, because it stops down the lens. So I'll guess it's a *software* problem. If you haven't done a full reset of the camera, do that. If there is a firmware you can update to, do that.
09-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Do you happen to have a fully automatic lens (such as the kit lens)? if so, does it function correctly? ie: good exposure at say f4 AND at f22.

09-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #24

Original Poster
Yep, I can use optical preview with the kit 18-55, and with a Pentax 50-200 too. How can I do a complete reset? I've managed to restore some settings on the camera, but that left my customized settings. The firmware version is 1.01, the latest. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
09-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

SAM

In Custom settings have you changed USING APERTURE RING to PERMITTED?
09-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #26

Original Poster
Yes, USING APERTURE RING is set to PERMITTED, everything is set up as specified on Pentax self-support. And on many other pages. So I really don't know.
09-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Yes, USING APERTURE RING is set to PERMITTED, everything is set up as specified on Pentax self-support. And on many other pages. So I really don't know.
Set your Kx to do Optical Preview (AKA DOF Preview) with the green button (pg 124 in your manual), set the lens to some small aperture, Your camera to M, and see if it stops down that way. I use this method (the K7/K20/K10 Optical preview is activated differently) for setting exposure as the meter is active during the preview.

09-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Sam, is there any possibility of finding someone else in your area familiar with Pentax to do a sanity check here? Like both of you do everything the same side by side with two different cameras, and hopefully some more lenses too? Everything you say suggests you are doing things correctly, but the particular fault you are seeing is just strange - like even if you gave me a camera and a bunch of tools, I don't think I could find a way to break it in such a way that it works like that. I keep thinking that either there is some sort of software glitch (I'd be surprised if the manual doesn't describe how to do a full reset probably somewhere in the Setup menu) or else we are all missing something so obvious it will seem funny if/when we figure it out - and that's where having another camera handy might help. And you could also physically examine the mounts and compare to be see if anything seems off on yours.
09-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #29
Forum Member

i had the same problem on my k200d. since these old lenses are really cheap i solved it by cutting the aperture lever by a 1 or 2 mm. then it worked just fine. later on, i had the same problem with FA50/1.4, then i sent the k200d to service for 100EUR. worked just fine since then. later on, i started to use old k1000 and guess what? the same problem again. i got "lucky". so if i had cheap lens for k1000 i "circumcise" these lense. it`s kinda barbaric, but it`s working.