Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kx EV +/- button in Manual Mode

Are we able to perform exposure compensation in Manual mode pre photo? Whenever I hit the button to dial it in, like in any other mode, I hear the mirror flip like when metering. The dial does not adjust the EV meter, either, but simply changes shutter speed; even while holding the +/- button down.

Basically, I just need to know if:

A.) This is normal
B.) I'm doing it wrong
C.) I'm an idiot

For those playing at home, multiple answers are possible. Thanks in advance.

09-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Page 107 of the manual states that EV compensation is not available when the mode dial is set to M.

On the K-x in manual mode with a manual lens, the EV +- button sets the exposure like the green button. This allows you to use the green button for another function, like optical preview. With an A setting lens, the EV +- button lets you change the Aperture with the E-dial.
09-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Page 107 of the manual states that EV compensation is not available when the mode dial is set to M.

On the K-x in manual mode with a manual lens, the EV +- button sets the exposure like the green button. This allows you to use the green button for another function, like optical preview. With an A setting lens, the EV +- button lets you change the Aperture with the E-dial.
Alright, the answer is "C". Thanks!
09-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I can say that I've asked myself the same question more than once even when I knew the answer and reason.

The reason...in manual mode you do the ev work by over and under exposing settings.

09-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the +/- button just jumps between aperture and shutter control, it's been a while since I had my Kx

EV comp in manual mode really doesn't do much anyway, I have it with my K7 and it has no affect on exposure, it just skews your meter...I'm pretty sure the Kx doesn't have EV comp in manual mode though
09-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Are we able to perform exposure compensation in Manual mode pre photo? Whenever I hit the button to dial it in, like in any other mode, I hear the mirror flip like when metering. The dial does not adjust the EV meter, either, but simply changes shutter speed; even while holding the +/- button down.

Basically, I just need to know if:

A.) This is normal
B.) I'm doing it wrong
C.) I'm an idiot

For those playing at home, multiple answers are possible. Thanks in advance.
It's really too bad you can't have EV comp in manual.

On the *istD and K7D you can, and this makes compensation for old lenses much better, on the K10D for some reason EV comp is not available in manual. As a result, and due additionally to the issues associated with the metering and focusing screen, the K10D is a little difficult to use with manual lenses because you need to know how much compensation you need with each lens,.
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still very much a beginner, and a lot of the time, I simply take test shots after metering to fine tune. However, it'd be nice to use a bit of a boost in slightly lower light while still keeping a quick shutter and not a teeny-tiny focal point.
09-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm still very much a beginner, and a lot of the time, I simply take test shots after metering to fine tune. However, it'd be nice to use a bit of a boost in slightly lower light while still keeping a quick shutter and not a teeny-tiny focal point.
you have to use ISO then, EV comp in manual mode wouldn't do anything except alter your meter.

When you want to raise the sensitivity while keeping the other two the same then raise the ISO

09-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
you have to use ISO then, EV comp in manual mode wouldn't do anything except alter your meter.

When you want to raise the sensitivity while keeping the other two the same then raise the ISO
Yeah, I get that part. I just try to stay at lower ISOs. Until I figure out dialing in NR PP and get a feel for what ISO I can go until it gives the photo a used magazine look, I'm trying to keep the sensitivity low.
09-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

well something's gotta give, low light, low ISO, fast shutter speed and small aperture just isn't possible without flash
09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
well something's gotta give, low light, low ISO, fast shutter speed and small aperture just isn't possible without flash
Right. Which is why I was hoping for a bit of exposure compensation. Not much just like +1/3. Just so I could keep around f2.8-4. Stopping down to 1.4 and anything that moves is ruined. Same with shutter.

Basically, despite reading the manual, I just didn't absorb it and thought I may be missing something. I should have just gone through it again.
09-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Right. Which is why I was hoping for a bit of exposure compensation. Not much just like +1/3. Just so I could keep around f2.8-4. Stopping down to 1.4 and anything that moves is ruined. Same with shutter.

Basically, despite reading the manual, I just didn't absorb it and thought I may be missing something. I should have just gone through it again.
Exposure compensation isn't magical though, it doesn't apply PP or anything, it only changes Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO value depending on the shooting mode

In manual mode you control all the settings so that's why EV comp wouldn't do anything, because you control all the settings. if you're trying to take a shot at f/2.8, ISO 800, and 1/30th of a second, then those are are your shooting settings, even if you could use EV comp it wouldn't change those since those are the settings you chose

when you use one of the priority modes however, like Tv or Av, then the camera has control over the other two shooting settings, thus EV comp can manipulate the other two settings while the one you selected stays the same
09-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Rory, you HAVE exposure compensation with the K-x in M mode, but you just don't realize it or you don't feel comfortable using it yet:

If you want to overexpose a stop, turn aperture ring to F8, hit EV button, and turn aperture ring to 5.6 before pulling trigger.

It all gets you to the same place, know what I mean? And with digital, depending on the subject, you can knock off 15 shots with different apertures anyway.

In other words, don't get too hung up on finding the perfect exposure for a given image, if it's a static image and you have the time to fire off a few. Get your base meter reading, shoot a few, and then go up or down a stop or two without hitting the button and adjusting the shutter speed.
09-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

As future_retro says, you don't need exposure compensation. The only thing this ever does in any other mode is change ISO, aperture, or shutter speed. There's no magic way to get a brighter exposure with the same ISO, aperture, and shutter speed - the only way to get a brighter exposure in any mode is to change on of those three parameter. In Av mode, adding exposure compensation just slows the shutter, or possibly raises ISO if that was on Auto. In Tv mode, adding exposure compensation just opens the aperture, or possibly raises ISO. In P mode, it just changes whichever of those parameters it feels like.

And in M mode, as others have said, there is no magic way "exposure compensation" could do anything you can't do yourself yourself by sloing the shutter, opening the aperture, or raising ISO. Those are the only three possibilities no matter what mode you are in.
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gotcha. That makes sense. I didn't know it was simply compensating one of the three variables. I was under the assumption it was a digital process. Thanks for the tips. I'll just continue my trial and error in manual and learn along the way.