Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm out of my depth !

Hello, I got my Pentax *ist DS today and somewhat bewildered. My other camera has a fixed lens so now with the pentax I had a play and I'm just a little confused.

At first It woudn't take a shot at all, then I noticed a lock button on the lens, so I flick that and now it works but still not getting the shots I thought I would get.

So what I'm after is a manual for the lens. I've looked on the web, and usually the web has thousands of results, not this time.

so heres the lens info; Sigma DC 18-125mm 1:3.5-5.6

Even the Sigma website isn't much help, they have a similar lens the F starts at 3.8 where as mine starts at 3.5 so I'm some what lost, I have many things to learn......and I'm willing !

Thank you for any help.

09-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the manual for the camera, you really don't need a manual for the lens:

Does it have an M/A button on it? If so, put it on A for Autofocus.

That's about all you have to do for a lens.
09-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If I were to guess, it sounds like the OP has a lens with an aperture ring, and an A position, which he has interpreted as a "lock"

I would be willing to bet that the camera does not have the use aperture ring function set, and it is easy to press the A button on a lens when installing it, taking it out of A mode.

That should be the only button on the lens, other than perhaps a zoom lock to overcome zoom creep when walking around.

I don't know Sigma lenses with this function but my tamron 28-75 has this feature but it only inhibits zoom, not any camera function. Perhaps a sigma lens owner can advise whether this lock, if it exists, disables the lens when set?
09-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Isn't this a zoom lock switch which prevents zoom creeping? Try to engage this lock then zoom. If you can't zoom, well, it is it!

09-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TeamPentax Quote
Hello, I got my Pentax *ist DS today and somewhat bewildered. My other camera has a fixed lens so now with the pentax I had a play and I'm just a little confused.

At first It woudn't take a shot at all, then I noticed a lock button on the lens, so I flick that and now it works but still not getting the shots I thought I would get.

So what I'm after is a manual for the lens. I've looked on the web, and usually the web has thousands of results, not this time.

so heres the lens info; Sigma DC 18-125mm 1:3.5-5.6

Even the Sigma website isn't much help, they have a similar lens the F starts at 3.8 where as mine starts at 3.5 so I'm some what lost, I have many things to learn......and I'm willing !

Thank you for any help.
Tell ya what. take a photo of the lens where the "lock" button is and post it here. That may help clear up the question a bit and make it easier to stear you in the right direction.

Mike
09-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The Lock button on the lens probably locks the zoom at some point. There are several different versions of this lens but I think this is the one he has.

ebay link deleted

Sorry about that. That's what I get for not checking my typing in Google..

http://www.photodo.com/topic_42.html

Last edited by JeffJS; 09-03-2010 at 12:11 PM.
09-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Jeff

on that lens the only "button" I see is the interlock to release the lens from A mode.

AS I pointed out in my initial post, if th elens is not in "A" mode, then the camera may not work if the "use aperture ring" option is not selected.

I have a gut feeling this is the real issue, because I cannot see a Zoom lock being electrically interlocked with the camera to inhibit all functions.
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The lens linked is a 28-105. The OP mentioned an 18-25. Different lens.

Lock issue aside, I agree with Ira that even when he gets that sorted, he really is gong to need a manual for the camera. And actually, not so much a manual (he might have that), but something designed to actually teach you how to use the camera. I gather the various aftermarket books like the Magic Lantern guides are good for that sort of thing.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-03-2010 at 07:16 PM.
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I've fixed my original post.. The lock I'm referring to can be seen near the lens mount to the left of where it says Sigma.

Lowell, I agree, and did earlier with your original post.. When I first got my K10d (my first ever dSLR) I was quite disheartened to find that I couldn't use the collection of manual lenses I had amassed waiting for the K10d to be released. That is, Until I read the manual.

09-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all your help, I was, I mean a complete newbie, I figure its like a zoom lock, I can't zoom it while its in the lock position so that answers that.

The other thing which I feel like a bit of tool for admitting but I couldn't figure out how to zoom, after some toying with it I realized that the zoom works in the opposite direction.... My olther camera (Fuji S9500) zoom works in the other direction and I've been using that for 5 years so it was natural for me to use the lens in the same way, like it was instinct, I've figured it out now but thank you so much, I really appreciate all your comments.
09-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks JeffJS, thats the one .