Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Where to buy/rent/shop in DFW?

I just bought a K-x.. and am now faced with a problem, although Dallas/Fort Worth is a HUGE Metropolitan area...it seems Canon and Nikon have monopolized the market. I cant find anywhere that sells Pentax lenses/accessories. I've been to all the stores the internet SAYS carry Pentax, even the retailers listed on Pentax's site; but, none of them actually carry anything. A couple said they could special order items, but heck I can do that.... being a total newbie with dSLR's and photography in general, I need some "hands on" shopping...
Anyone in the area that could lend some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

09-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it is worth, it appears that Pentax has gone "on line", other than a few stores in the NYC area (B&H, etc.). You can try Fry's Electronics, they do carry Pentax bodied - but I do not know about their lens selection.

So what lens did you get with your KX? You can always ask for help here....

09-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doeknoe1 Quote
I just bought a K-x.. and am now faced with a problem, although Dallas/Fort Worth is a HUGE Metropolitan area...it seems Canon and Nikon have monopolized the market. I cant find anywhere that sells Pentax lenses/accessories. I've been to all the stores the internet SAYS carry Pentax, even the retailers listed on Pentax's site; but, none of them actually carry anything. A couple said they could special order items, but heck I can do that.... being a total newbie with dSLR's and photography in general, I need some "hands on" shopping...

Thanks!
This is the only website that I have ever come across (about 6 months of looking) that rents anything Pentex. This will give you some hands on before you buy. Not a huge selection but a decent one.

CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals.
09-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I will not be of real help either and frankly I hesitate to mention but one of my brother in laws lives in Fort Worth and shopped for a dslr about springtime. He found his search for stores that actually had Pentax in store expanded well beyond 40 miles without finding one.
Yes, he could go to Walmart and others to handle Canons and Nikons, (one of my warnings to him was finding Pentax) but apparently found very, very few places within an hour's drive of FW that had the K-x in the store.
The happy ending of my rag is that he did buy a K-x. The sad bit is he is also disappointed by his Tamron 70-300. But I digress.
I can ask him what avenue brought him success and will report back here.

09-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I live on the east side of Dallas, very close to the Dallas Arboretum and White Rock Lake.

Basic answer: What you have found to be the case, is in fact the case. Sad but true.

That said, Arlington Camera is the closest thing we have in D/FW to B&H or Adorama, and they do have some Pentax stuff in stock, sometimes. That is your best bet.

Don's Photo Equipment (used camera) shop in Dallas also has a bit of Pentax stuff available, whenever he can get it. He is hungry for it actually but apparently the Pentax users just don't sell their gear as often as the Nikon and Canon users do. Don't know why that could be. ;-)

The Wolf Camera in Old Town Village in Dallas (Greenville, just north of Lovers) used to have some Pentax stuff in stock. One of the sales reps was a Pentax fan. But I haven't seen any Pentax bodies in there recently.

The Fry's Electronics store on east Northwest Highway had a K-x on display last time I was there, and K-7, too, I think. First time I'd ever been able to handle one.

Note that it is only partly true that Nikon and Canon are better represented. If you are simply counting brands, yes, Nikon and Canon have things sewn up. But what you'll find in stores are mostly the low-end Nikon and Canon bodies and the most popular (and least expensive) lenses.

Bottom line: I do nearly all of my buying online. If you have a question, feel free to send me an email or a private message or give me a ring.

Will

p.s. Sorry I don't know the situation in Cow Town better. We come over there regularly to go to the museums or horsey events at Will Rogers but I've never looked for a camera store.
09-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thats what i was afraid of...
Thanks for all of your responses... it looks like online will be my route.
NOw if i could just get enough money to indulge all my whims and wants.
09-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats what i was afraid of...
Thanks for all of your responses... it looks like online will be my route.
NOw if i could just get enough money to indulge all my whims and wants.
Well, join the club. I have been brown bagging it, and am a member of the 1 lens a year (or so) club. I have acquired the lenses that I have been after (gently used), and picked up a tripod and ball head. So, with some careful planning and a saving nickels, dimes and quarters (plus I have 2 sons in college) slowly but surely, I have assembled a pretty nice kit. It just takes time and patience.