Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Shutter cable from ebay

Hello, so I enjoy taking photos of lightning, and hopefully I'll figure out how to upload some of my pictures from my non-pentax soon so you can all see what I enjoy the most.

Anyway I have a *ist ds and am after a shutter release cable, I can only think of ebay as it's just easier and plus it works for me, but there are so many, some are $4 others are $10 and it just goes up from there, which is maybe not the best but I don't want it to feel like a crappy piece of plastic when I use it ?

I'd expect the $4 would be crappy, still work, but when I'm out advoiding being hit by lightning and taking shot after shot I don't want the adapter to feel as if it would break everytime I use it.

Also will the ds do time lapse ? Its not a huge thing in my life but one day I wouldn't mind to try it if I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, has any one used any of the ones from ebay ? surely someone would have some info , I did notice a lack of pentax ones tho.

Thanks to everyone for all your help, I hope one day I can repay the favour to someone else, at this moment it's day 2 of being a proud Pentax owner !

09-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is just a plug, cable and hand switch. Pretty simple. I have one of the $4 specials, and I use it a lot, and its just drop dead real simple, real easy, priced just right. For shutter times longer than 30 seconds, I use the 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand .... method (or my watch - with a small red led pen light). I finally broke down and bought a fancy shutter release that will do the timing for me - it ran something like $30. Actually for regular use, the $4 one is just fine.....

09-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much, running out of funds fast, so I'll start with the cheapo cable, it'll do what I need it to I assume so why bother paying $$$ for something prettier, unless it's an original then thats different.

Thanks heaps !
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Raylon

I'm not positive but I made a shutter release for my K200, so you may be able to make one for your camera too. I made mine out of an old headphone cable and buttons from radio shack attached to an old film canister.

I just tried searching for the article which is a how to, but I couldn't find it. Hopefully someone else will know what I'm talking about and will be able to tell you if you will be able to do the same.

09-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
That sounds great, how did you wire the switch ? a photo of the switch and how it's connected would help a lot.

Thanks for the tip, now I have a project for the weekend.
09-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I made one out of an old cable remote for an old film recorder.

Heres some shots works great !

Thanks for all your help !

Last edited by TeamPentax; 09-16-2010 at 04:06 AM. Reason: inculde picture
09-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Raylon

Sorry for not responding earlier, but I am glad you got one working! It's great to be able to make something like that when they are so expensive to buy. I made mine because I bought one from ebay that only lasted about a week before it died.
09-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had one of those $4 cables for about 5 years now and it still works just fine. You can also find cheapo remotes that work just as well and the actual pentax remotes.