Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Generic external flash

So I've had my DS for 2 days now and I've been learning how to adapt it to my needs and read the manual 3 times now but I'm missing something some where.

I have a few older flashes which I used with my Fuji S9500 with out any problems, I put one onto my ds and it wouldn't fire, my question is will the *ist ds work with non genuine flashes ?
the one I tried it with is a SUNPAK AUTO 140, it cost me $2.00 so theres no real great loss either way but I assume most flashes get the message from the camera to flash so have I set up the camera wrong ?

with my fuji I turn on the hot shoe but as far as I can see in the menu of the ds I don't see a setting for it.

I basically know naff all about flashes, mine don't have no flashey lcd just a dial with a lot of numbers that turns to hieroglyphic's after a few seconds......

Thank you for any tips you could share, I'm sure I'll be back real soon with another question and I wouldn't of made it without the help of the people in this forum, I really appreciate all the help I'm getting.
I've been after this model camera for over a year now and I finally have it and it's bewildered me so much that I'm worried I've made a mistake, but I'll figure it out (with the help from this forum) it's a Pentax, how could I go wrong ?

09-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lots of similar threads found at the bottom of this page with the answers to most of your questions.

Be advised that generic flashes work only in manual mode unless they're PTTL-compatible. This means that the flash will always fire at full power, and that you'll need to set the aperture accordingly on your own.

To get the flash to fire, simply set your mode dial to X

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I must be blind, where is the X on the mode dial ?
The only thing that might be an X is the NO FLASH on the dial, is that it ? doesn't that turn off the flash ?
09-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

just select a shutter speed of 1/180 or slower in M or Tv mode and your flash will fire.

Note that many generic flashes also have a working auto mode which you can use in M or Av mode with great results. I have explained that usage in earlier posts but be free to ask if it is still unclear...

09-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello, so I attempted the settings you suggested and they didn't work, so I went out and dragged in all my old flashes I have the SUNPAK auto 140, METZ 20BC4 , VESTA Thyristor AUTO-2000ND which has mini flash called a Kangaroo-mini on a hotshoe on the flash for the little one and a monster METZ 45-CT which has a bracket to attach the camera via the tripod mount.
All worked (except the big METZ) with the camera under the settings above with some adjustment of the Aperture so it was the SUNPAK flash thats at fault.

Thank you so much for all your help, without it I would of perished very unhappy.
09-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you check the trigger voltage on those old flashes, some of them have very high voltages that may fry your camera.... There is a list somewhere with the voltages of different flashes, but I have no idea where it is, I am sure someone will chime in with it soon though....
09-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
How do I find out how much the trigger voltage is and what is the acceptalble voltage ?

09-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is not Pentax specific, but it does list a bunch of flashed, and the voltages of them.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
09-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More good information for you to have a look at.

Secrets of Powershot Flash Photography
09-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, still not clear but have now read enough NOT to use them !!!