Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If I wanted a decent package for free, I'd get Picasa.

If I wanted a decent package for editing one picture at a time in depth, I'd get Elements. If I wanted more power and lower price (free) and didn't mind a complex UI, I'd use the GIMP.

If I wanted a good package for dealing with large groups of pictures - including editing them and organizing them - I'd get ACDSee Pro or Lightroom.

But there are tons of other options - consider searching this forum and the PP forum for previous threads discussing the topic.
Very good advice.

09-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

check out gimp. I use it exclusively... it will do anything photoshop can, everything is just a bit harder But hey, its free so

In reality, 90% of my edits consist of curves (probably the most important tool to learn), saturation, USM (un-sharp mask), RAW conversion, and maybe some noise reduction.

All except the last two can be done with gimp "straight out of the box."

Download UFRAW, which is a plugin raw converter, and your good to go with RAW images.

Than download wavelight denoise (also plugin IIRC) for NR if you need it

At the very least it will help you see what you want in a photo editor, so that when you spend your money you do so wisely
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you

That's really great reading - thank you everyone for responding.

It sounds like there are some very good free options plus some good 'pay' ones too.

Have decided to give Picasa and GIMP a go and once I know which way round to hold my KX, I can then decide what to buy.

Best Wishes,

FB
09-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fizzbomb Quote
That's really great reading - thank you everyone for responding.

It sounds like there are some very good free options plus some good 'pay' ones too.

Have decided to give Picasa and GIMP a go and once I know which way round to hold my KX, I can then decide what to buy.

Best Wishes,

FB
If you have any questions with GIMP let me know via PM

09-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
PS ELements includes many of the features and power of PS5 with a much shorter learning curve and a minuscule investment by comparison. Tthis robust program is still a great deal to learn . Most of what you learn in Elements will later work in PS5 because many of the conventions are the same. BEWARE of buying software on Ebay, most often you are not getting anything other than more pirated software. Most cameras clubs and computer clubs are offering classes in Elements which will radically reduce the learning curve.