Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always use a simple wrist strap that mounts to the tripod screw:

I must say based on personal experience that the screw WILL WORK LOOSE if you let the camera dangle. I've never had it actually fall off the strap, but a couple of times finding it barely hanging on taught me that a single point screw-in mount where the camera dangles and gets jostled is a Very Bad Idea.

As insurance against dropping from my hand, it is the cheapest, most portable, most comfortable, and most versatile thing I have ever found and I treasure it and use it extensively. But it is necessary to recognize the limitations and dangers inherent in using such a setup as a carrying system.

09-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
TWN

Original Poster
I am not happy with all the bouncing around my camera does when on a strap,either chest or sling.It bounces and swings a lot,the pendulum effect I call it.
I am considering the Amazon.com: Adorama B-Grip, Easy Access Belt Mounted Holder for Cameras and Camcorders: Camera & Photo

I know you need two hands to use it and I just happen to have two hands.I also like the fact it does not swing,not into swingers

It's just a consideration at this point.I'm still researching the method that works best for me.
09-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I normally just use the Big Lugg 2 for carrying a small tripod or monopod on my belt, but I can also use it for the camera. The QR clamps I'm using are Kirk 1.75" and Feisol 2". Both of these have tensioners that are long enough to get into the holder and short enough to be pretty safe in the belt clip. The knobs on the tensioners are also the right size and shape to fit into the clip and not let the tripod, monopod, camera move around much.

With a strap on the camera I wouldn't see any issues with this. Even without the strap, I have jumped up and down to see it I could get the monopod to fall out and wasn't successful. The issue with using this on the camera is of coarse that the tensioner sticks out from the body. You probably would want to remove the QR clamp before you chip a tooth or poked yourself in the eye if using it with a camera. It would however give you a cheap way to test out having the camera attached to your hip to see it you like it or not. Even if you find it doesn't work out, the clips are a pretty nice way to store you tripod or monopod assuming you can find a way to mount the clip somewhere.

I actually got the Bigg Lugg 2 at my local Home Depot. I think it was $8.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-12-2010 at 06:38 AM.
09-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

If you are looking for a solution for attaching a tripod mount strap to the camera, you might be interested in this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/108885-r-...-qr-plate.html

Like in the thread; I bought it, I don't think it can work itself out, I could Loctite it in if I wanted, and the QR plate didn't rotate when I had the Sigma 170-500mm lens horizontally off the head in portrait orientation.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-12-2010 at 06:37 AM.
09-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #20
TWN

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I normally just use the Big Lugg 2 for carrying a small tripod or monopod on my belt, but I can also use it for the camera. The QR clamps I'm using are Kirk 1.75" and Feisol 2". Both of these have tensioners are long enough to get into the holder and short enough to be pretty safe in the belt clip. The knobs on the tensioners are also the right size and shape to fit into the clip and not let the tripod, monopod, camera move around much.

With a strap on the camera I wouldn't see any issues with this. Even without the strap, I have jumped up and down to see it I could get the monopod to fall out and wasn't successful. The issue with using this on the camera is of coarse that the tensioner sticks out from the body. You probably would want to remove the QR clamp before you chip a tooth or poked yourself in the eye if using it with a camera. It would however give you a cheap way to test out having the camera attached to your hip to see it you like it or not. Even if you find it doesn't work out, the clips are a pretty nice way to store you tripod or monopod assuming you can find a way to mount the clip somewhere.

I actually got the Bigg Lugg 2 at my local Home Depot. I think it was $8.

Thank you
Russell

That looks interesting.I shall check Home Hardware and see if they have anything like it.
Thanks for the tip
09-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #21
TWN

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
If you are looking for a solution for attaching a tripod mount strap to the camera, you might be interested in this thread.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/108885-r-...-qr-plate.html

Like in the thread; I bought it, I don't think if can work itself out, I could Loctite it in if I wanted, and the QR plate didn't rotate when I had the lens horizontally off the head in portrait orientation.

Thank you
Russell

I looked at the R-strap and I have a shoulder strap rigged up to hang the camera at my waist but it bounces and swings around too much,long strap because I am tall amplifies the pendulum effect.
The b-grip holster looks like it will solve the problem of movement.
Thanks
09-12-2010, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TWN Quote
I looked at the R-strap and I have a shoulder strap rigged up to hang the camera at my waist but it bounces and swings around too much,long strap because I am tall amplifies the pendulum effect.
The b-grip holster looks like it will solve the problem of movement.
Thanks
You might look at the Cotton Carrier holster. My point of choosing it over the B-grip can be seen at about 59 seconds in this video.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGU27w4RLE[/YT]

Unlike the B-grip, the Cotton Carrier can be used with a number of belts, padded tactical/photo belts, or your standard hold up you pants, belt. It has a Velcro flap as well as a belt loop. Even though it has a belt loop, I've never used it, instead, I use the easy to get on and off flap. This is a personal preference only, and I have no experience with the B-grip, so this might not actually be much of an issue.

I have a QR plate on my camera and so to use the Cotton Carrier when I'm using a tripod, I attach the Cotton Carrier mount to a QR clamp. I actually just use the clamp to get the camera off and on the Cotton Carrier, instead of the included mount. It's two handed, but it works for me. When I'm not going to be using a tripod I simply remove the QR clamp and mount the Cotton Carrier directly to the QR plate. It really helps to have bought a QR plate with an auxiliary tripod mount in it. I'm not sure about proprietary QR plates, but all the arca style plates I've bought have this, except the little round one I posted above that is in the other thread. Always an exception. At some point I'll buy another Cotton Carrier mount so I can just leave the mount attached to the QR clamp. They are $30 each and I have other things to buy first.

Anyway, another option to look at.

Thank you
Russell
09-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
TWN

Original Poster
Thanks for that.
I have watched the b-grip video before and I like what I see.You can use your pants belt or add another belt and mount the b-grip onto the other belt.
The other link to the Cotton Carrier was appreciated but it's not what I am looking for.

Thank you for your help and for posting the links,,I always like choices/options

09-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TWN Quote
Thanks for that.
I have watched the b-grip video before and I like what I see.You can use your pants belt or add another belt and mount the b-grip onto the other belt.
The other link to the Cotton Carrier was appreciated but it's not what I am looking for.

Thank you for your help and for posting the links,,I always like choices/options
Just to be sure, I'm talking about the holster, not the chest harness thing. I looked for a video of just the side holster, but everyone seems more interested in the chest harness and show the side holster attached to the chest harness. The side holster doesn't actually need the chest harness, and I didn't actually buy that part of it. It just slips on or over a belt for my use. The reason I want to make sure is because they seem pretty equivalent in the job they perform, so the wording of your post makes me wonder. If there is no confusion, please ignore.

The B-grip, the Spider
, the HoldSLR
, The Skytop cases
, and the Cotton Carrier are the products I know off. There is also the ebay belt clip.

Seems there is a new chest strap on ebay. NEW black quick rapid NIKON CANON Camera Sling Strap - eBay (item 120620603410 end time Sep-12-10 20:37:54 PDT)

Thank you
Russell
09-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
TWN

Original Poster
This is more to my liking,O1A Hard Plastic Waist Black Camera Belt Buckle Button - eBay (item 270562314530 end time Oct-09-10 01:08:32 PDT)
Thanks for that.

I am not interested in the chest harness thank you though.

Somewhere in one of my posts or answers to another post I mentioned that I had seem at Home Hardware a clip on tool/hammer device where you put your hammer or other tool through the small loop,
When I saw it at the hardware store I thought that it could possibly be used to hold a camera.I will go back over to the store and check it out.

I just watched the Skytop Trading leather case video,I really like the leather case and am going to their website now to get prices.Leather works for me

Thank you very much
09-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
TWN

Original Poster
Well that was scary
Price $299.00 US

PENTAX K-x

That will have to wait but I really would get one if I had that kind of money to spend,,add shipping and conversion into Canadian dollars also.

I remember a leather camera case my father many many years ago and I remember how sturdy it was.

I am glad you gave me that link though because now I know what I can buy myself when I have the money.

Thanks for directing me to that option
(I want one)