Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hanging K-x on hip using tripod mounting hole

I want to hang my K-x on my hip and I have made the strap that came in the kit work but it looks really amateurish,I had to make it longer by adding a piece of cord, and I am concerned about the attachment point coming loose in the camera body.
I am also considering buying a strap that is long enough for me,I'm 6'11/2" .
I like the hip hang as the chest hang bouces my camera all over.
I was looking at these straps but have really no idea of what to look for.
UPstrap: Product List

Can you advise me ?

I have spent the last few days doing a google on DIY straps and have spent around $20.00 at the hardware store to get my less than stellar results

Thank you in advance if you can help.

09-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the R-strap is what you are looking for if I understand your post

Amazon.com: Black Rapid Straps RS4 Black Fabric, Lightweight and Low Profile, with ConnectR-2 and FastenR-2: Camera & Photo

check out the picture on that page that shows you how the strap hangs
09-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
TWN

Original Poster
That's basically what I made,only I had to add a extra length to the kit Pentax strap since it wasn't long enough.Mine doesn't look or feel good at all.
I don't think there is a DiY style that I haven't checked out.
I am concerned about the tripod mounting hole and also was wondering about the straps I posted the link to.
Thanks for the reply
09-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TWN Quote
That's basically what I made,only I had to add a extra length to the kit Pentax strap since it wasn't long enough.Mine doesn't look or feel good at all.
I don't think there is a DiY style that I haven't checked out.
I am concerned about the tripod mounting hole and also was wondering about the straps I posted the link to.
Thanks for the reply
You might be interested in the Sun Snipper design if not buying one. The camera slides on the strap with a mount that screws into the tripod hole and can ride on hip or top of butt so does not bump things when you are on the go. After messing around with a couple of regular straps I finally found this and it works for me.

09-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think, again, I Don't Think, that you need to worry about the tripod mount screw coming loose from the body. That is unless your rig comes unscrewed. You might, to be safer, thread the strap through one of the strap lugs as well.

09-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
TWN

Original Poster
OK,thanks for the info.
Looks like I am going to search out a long enough strap that I can customize to fit .That's my main issue right now.
I know how to make a safety strap and I have a wing nut as a lock-down for fast removal if a tripod is needed.
I have to check out some covered cable bicycle locks.
It wouldn't be such an issue if I had a sewing machine
09-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #7

I had the same problem with my K-X and come up with something that has worked so far.

First, yes the tripod hole seems to be strong enough to hold it. I use a metal mounting plate from a monopod that has a D type ring on the bottom and attached the strap to that. When carrying it this way, I routinely check to make sure it is tight, so far it has stayed snug.

For the strap, I ordered a "shoulder strap" from Strapworks.com, it comes with a shoulder pad that is rubber and not as nicely padded as some of the commercial straps but the K-X is so light that it doesn't bother me. I went with the 3/4" strap with the metal swivel snap connector in the 3-6 ft length. This was about $8 plus shipping.

After I received it strap, I cut both swivel snaps off and then looped the strap through one of the swivel snaps. Then positioned it so the two ends of the straps came together inside the shoulder pad. I used the adjustment buckle to secure the strap to itself so I didn't have to sew anything. Basically what you end up with is a loop that lets the swivel snap slide freely. Then you can wear it over your shoulder and bring the K-X up to take a picture but don't have to move the shoulder pad, similar to the commercial R-Strap.

Hope this helps, I can try and post some pictures if you would like.

09-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
TWN

Original Poster
Thanks bigdog,,I have a plate that comes wih the small tripod I bought,the kind with the flexible legs,that looks just like the plate you linked to,but I don't trust it for long term use,,too light weight for me.
That strap is what I am looking for.I guess I can buy a shoulder pad and some narrow webbing and take it to the shoe repair shop and have them sew the swivels or snaps,whichever I decide on.
The loop method appeals to me more than the two snap ends,it's something I have to decide on.
I do notice though that the camera hangs basically in the same position no matter if it is attached to the bottom or the top lugs.
So many choices I am having a difficult time deciding which way to go,I am over thinking a simple thing.
Your information was helpful as it reflects what I am leaning towards.
Thank you..
09-07-2010, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I saw the photographer at a wedding I was at this weekend had a hip mounted "holster" type of deal, it looked interesting but i didn't want to bug them while they were working. I did find this...

http://www.spiderholster.com/

Last edited by mtroute; 09-07-2010 at 09:52 AM.
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
TWN

Original Poster
mtroute>
I have seen that holster before.Not only that but I saw something very similar yesterday at the Home Hardware store that was exactly like the camera holster but for tools,eg hammers etc,and thought if I wanted a holster then that is what I would check out.
And for anybody out there looking for a camera holster I recommend checking out that tool holster at Home Hardware in Canada.
Thank you for your reply mtroute

Last edited by TWN; 09-07-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
09-07-2010, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the Y strap? I am thinking of making my own for my Kx using Mountain climbing straps and a split ring. The problem is that split rings are hard to use with the Kx. Optech has these little inserts that fit in the metal strap lug. You can then add a split ring to this.

Y strap

Optech/adaptits

Last edited by MSM; 09-07-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added link
09-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
TWN

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Have you looked at the Y strap? I am thinking of making my own for my Kx using Mountain climbing straps and a split ring. The problem is that split rings are hard to use with the Kx. Optech has these little inserts that fit in the metal strap lug. You can then add a split ring to this.

Y strap

Optech/adaptits

That was the video that made me decide that I wanted one like that.The only problem was I didn't have a long enough strap so I tried to use what was on hand,with marginal success.I even bought a set of those plastic buckles,among all the other split rings,nuts,wing nuts,L bracket,snaps,snap swivels,eye bolts,a dremel type tool,and ordered a spring loaded long arm articulating light plus I will be buying a 25W CFL full spectrum light for the fixture. WOW.
And I'm on a small pension,so DIY is what I do,he says with a big smile.

Thanks for the reminder though,I appreciate it.
09-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
TWN

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote

Y strap

Optech/adaptits
PS
I added split rings onto my K-x lugs with no problem but a webbing attachment would definitely be the better attachment method.
I know what I want now and how to make it but I just don't have a sewing machine
'If I only had a sewing
machine" seems to be my tune of the day,big smile.

I guess what I was really looking for was a cheap DIY solution that wasn't one of the first few pages of a google search.

Thanks for the reply again
09-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
TWN

Original Poster
PPS MSM
I just looked at those lug adaptors and that got my attention.They look good so I am just trying to figure out if/how to make them myself cheaper than buying them and paying shipping,exchange rate, and Canadian tax,but that is a definite "On my list"
Thanks again
09-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TWN Quote
PS
I added split rings onto my K-x lugs with no problem but a webbing attachment would definitely be the better attachment method.
I know what I want now and how to make it but I just don't have a sewing machine
'If I only had a sewing
machine" seems to be my tune of the day,big smile.

I guess what I was really looking for was a cheap DIY solution that wasn't one of the first few pages of a google search.

Thanks for the reply again
TWN: I am the same way. I did get a split ring to fit but I didn't want it to scratch the surface from constant rubbing.

As far as a sewing machine, surely there is someone in your area that has one. Perhaps, a mother with small children you could ask.

Where did you get the adjustment buckle for your prototype? I started with a strap from another bag. It was too shoot as well. It works but it is not adjustable. Usually the straps have a buckle that allows you to adjust the length. This strap had a very cheap buckle which I did not trust. So I sewed the ends together. The clamp which is sort of a carabiner type is very nice. I want to be able to mount a split ring with the adapt-it thingy and then be able to quickly hook on and off the strap. I have found more and more the strap getting caught on things almost pulling the camera out of my hand.

Mark