Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

RAW DNG Shots with Wrong White Balance Settings

I recently shot a bunch of photos at the park. On my previous shoot I was doing some night work under tungsten. Needless to say I shot most of my park daylight photos with the tungsten White Balance set. Is there a way to quickly change all of those photos to a daylight White Balance and make the change to the RAW file? I use a K7 and shoot in DNG.

thanks

09-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What processing software are you using? If I were doing this (Photoshop CS4), I would change the WB in one photo using ACR, and then copy that WB setting to the remaining photos in Adobe Bridge.

09-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think most (all?) RAW editors have the ability to batch change at least basic settings. I had to do this very thing (WB adjustment), just a couple of weeks ago. I use Aperture, and if you right click on an image that you've worked on in the main viewer, or its thumbnail in the tray at the bottom of the screen, one of the options is "Lift Adjustments". If you choose that, a HUD pops up that allows you to select/deselect the adjustments you want to apply to other images. Then you'd select all the images you want to apply the changes to, right click on one of them, and select "Stamp Adjustments" from the contextual menu. Please note these are the steps and terminology for Aperture. Your mileage and workflow may vary.
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have several processing softwares that I use. Unfortunately Photoshop CS4 is not one of them. I do have Adobe Elements 8 as well as GIMP, UFRAW and ThumbsPlus 7. I'll have to look to see what ACR and Adobe Bridge are. I guess I should also mention I'm in the Windows World.

Last edited by nstocke; 09-07-2010 at 05:21 PM.
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Adobe Elements uses ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) as the RAW developer. And you can change the white balance in ACR but I think it is one at a time. I think you can select "previous setting" as you move to the next photo though.
09-07-2010, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #6

This can be done in Photoshop Elements. Open the editor, then open. select the files you want. These will open in the raw editor down the left hand side in a column, with the first one in the edit window. Then press the select all button on top of the column of files. Go to the white balance pull down menu in the editor and select daylight (or whatever you want). This will change the WB in all images. You will see a little yellow triangle in the thumbnails on the left as they are processed. Whn this is finished, all files will have the white balance you wanted. Then press save images and follow the save dialogue. I have elements 7 but imagine the same process will work in 8.
Like you I have a K-7 and have also fallen to the set white balance problem. I now avoid it by having the white balance default to auto, whenever I turn the camera off. This is described on page 281 of the manual-selecting settings to save. Go to menu record mode 4, select memory, and press the four-way controller to select items for the camera to save when it is turned off. I do not save the White Balance (it defaults to AWB), iso and EV compensation. I have found these are the items, I tend to use then forget to reset. Noting worse than shooting at night with tungsten WB, iso of 1600 and some EV compensation and forgetting to reset. next day you are shooting in bright sunshine with a horribly set up camera. I only had to do this once to start burrowing through the manual.
Good luck, hope this is useful for you.
Eric
09-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nstocke Quote
I have several processing softwares that I use. Unfortunately Photoshop CS4 is not one of them. I do have Adobe Elements 8 as well as GIMP, UFRAW and ThumbsPlus 7. I'll have to look to see what ACR and Adobe Bridge are. I guess I should also mention I'm in the Windows World.
ACR is Adobe Camera RAW and it's where 99% of my editing takes place. Bridge is a program bundled with some adobe products that will allow organizing, rating, controlling of multiple adobe applications, etc. I can make changes to 1 file and copy as much or as little as I like to 100s of other RAW files if need be. ACR in CS4 will let me load up to 25 files at a time (as will Photoshop CS4). The freebies (gimp, etc) are great but they don't touch photoshop in terms of functionality. I've never tried Elements but I don't think it's too much different for photographer use than full blown photoshop.

09-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillman3 Quote
This can be done in Photoshop Elements. Open the editor, then open. select the files you want. These will open in the raw editor down the left hand side in a column, with the first one in the edit window. Then press the select all button on top of the column of files. Go to the white balance pull down menu in the editor and select daylight (or whatever you want). This will change the WB in all images. You will see a little yellow triangle in the thumbnails on the left as they are processed. Whn this is finished, all files will have the white balance you wanted. Then press save images and follow the save dialogue. I have elements 7 but imagine the same process will work in 8.
Like you I have a K-7 and have also fallen to the set white balance problem. I now avoid it by having the white balance default to auto, whenever I turn the camera off. This is described on page 281 of the manual-selecting settings to save. Go to menu record mode 4, select memory, and press the four-way controller to select items for the camera to save when it is turned off. I do not save the White Balance (it defaults to AWB), iso and EV compensation. I have found these are the items, I tend to use then forget to reset. Noting worse than shooting at night with tungsten WB, iso of 1600 and some EV compensation and forgetting to reset. next day you are shooting in bright sunshine with a horribly set up camera. I only had to do this once to start burrowing through the manual.
Good luck, hope this is useful for you.
Eric
This worked great. Thanks so much for the detailed howto. Having the step by step really worked wonders and saved me a bundle of time. Thanks Thanks & Thanks again.

09-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #9

>This worked great
I have had lots of advice here so was glad to help. I think the most useful information was the setting of hte memory function, so you don't shoot inadvertently with the wrong settings. Good luck with your photography.
Eric