Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mantis Quote
i was reading up on the lighting via that macro link that lidy linked me below and got some ideas for diffusers, its good that i can make one at home, but would you suggest getting a remote flash? or adapt it to use the build in flash?

the only thing im a bit iffy with is how he/she got such great pics of the bugs with black backrounds, is this using the flash/diffuser at night time?

You would have to ask Lidy. I think we all have our different methods. For a regular shoe mount flash situation, if I want a lit foreground and a dark background, I'll go High Speed Sync. Only certain flashes are capable of that and they have to be wired or mounted to the hot shoe (the AF540 and AF360 and some third party flashes do it).

Not a Macro but..

1/500 sec at f5. It's a night time shot but with a normal exposure, I could have lit this up a lot more.

09-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #17

Original Poster
cool, ok, will have to ponder what to do about this, at least i know now that everything with a black back ground is just a night shot, i thought it was something fancy...
09-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Well, Mine, are night shots. I can't and won't speak for everyone else.

09-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I vote for the FA 50mm or 100mm Macro. Both are 1:1 ratio. The 50mm can be had for around $300 and the 100mm fro around $400.

**Actually another vote is for the DA 35mm ltd Macro. Also a 1:1 ratio and it will take "better" photos than either FA lens but it is a bit more $.

09-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #20

Original Poster
whats so bad about AF lenses? the 90mm tamron one im getting has AF
09-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

whats so bad about AF lenses? the 90mm tamron one im getting has AF
Who said auto-focus lenses are bad? I love them. I only own 2 manual focus lenses and they barely get used. All of the lenses (or at least most) mentioned in this thread are AF, and are all good lenses.
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #22

Original Poster
ok, well i was speaking to a fellow at a camera store and he was suggesting the sigma 17-300? or something has a sharper picture and has a macro OPTION, i dont realy like the sound of this, because i want one just for macro, and i assume if its just an OPTION, it isnt a true macro?

he also suggested a pentax 50mm macro lens...

what do you guys think?

09-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #23

Original Poster
also, will the tamron 90mm be able to acheiv this? aka, this close up

09-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
Inactive Account

ok, well i was speaking to a fellow at a camera store and he was suggesting the sigma 17-300? or something has a sharper picture and has a macro OPTION, i dont realy like the sound of this, because i want one just for macro, and i assume if its just an OPTION, it isnt a true macro?

he also suggested a pentax 50mm macro lens...

what do you guys think?
There is nothing wrong with a dedicated Pentax 50mm macro lens. Unless it's the DFA version however, it's probably a 1:2.

That said, re the sigma being sharper than a dedicated macro, I Highly doubt it.

This is 1:1 from my DFA100mm..

It is the center of one of these flowers..

09-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There is nothing wrong with a dedicated Pentax 50mm macro lens. Unless it's the DFA version however, it's probably a 1:2.

That said, re the sigma being sharper than a dedicated macro, I Highly doubt it.

This is 1:1 from my DFA100mm..

It is the center of one of these flowers..

you say unless its the dfa version, but you have the dfa version, and those pics look quite good, whats wrong with the dfa version? and if there is something wrong with it how come u use it?

09-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #26
Inactive Account

you say unless its the dfa version, but you have the dfa version, and those pics look quite good, whats wrong with the dfa version? and if there is something wrong with it how come u use it?

The DFA macros are Pentax's latest and greatest and there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, if you Really want to spend the cash, a very good way to go. What I meant was that Pentax's earlier (A and M) 50mm macros are 1:2, half life sized. The DFAs are 1:1, full sized.

09-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find using a longer Macro lens is very beneficial with insects, especially easily scared ones.

get something like a 200mm f/4 and some extension tubes. that ought to give you a decent working distance from your subject.

Personally I use the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 and Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED macro lenses...which are highly regarded and offer the ultimate in image quality.

To get black backgrounds I keep a 8"X10" piece of black velvet in my camera bag. black velvet eats light and is useful for eliminating distracting backgrounds.

Sigma 180mm f/3.5
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #28

Original Poster
thanks for that jeff, but no im not really keen on spending a lot on a lens, im not a professional, just a hobby

i like that velvet idea

ok ill check those lenses out, wat are their market value these days?
09-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I find using a longer Macro lens is very beneficial with insects, especially easily scared ones.

get something like a 200mm f/4 and some extension tubes. that ought to give you a decent working distance from your subject.

Personally I use the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 and Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED macro lenses...which are highly regarded and offer the ultimate in image quality.

To get black backgrounds I keep a 8"X10" piece of black velvet in my camera bag. black velvet eats light and is useful for eliminating distracting backgrounds.

Sigma 180mm f/3.5
With prices to match, IF you can find them.

09-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Most have said it - but almost all current true macro lenses (not zooms with a pseudo macro function) are pin sharp and easy to handle - so +1 on that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Sigma 180mm f/3.5
Digitalis makes an important point - the longer the focal length, the greater the subject distance. Keep that in mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The DFA macros are Pentax's latest and greatest and there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, if you Really want to spend the cash, a very good way to go. What I meant was that Pentax's earlier (A and M) 50mm macros are 1:2, half life sized. The DFAs are 1:1, full sized.

Once you get hooked on macro like Yeatzee and Rense you'll probably start using other kit (like the bellows you've got on order). But be warned - some of the newer lenses do not have an aperture ring (eg PENTAX-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR) - so you can't control that at all . And if you reverse it, same applies. Hence Jeff is not quite right there.

And as for flash - a macro maniacs best friend. Get one you can sync/slave off camera as you'll want to side light etc.

Then you'll want some other things like macro rails, reversing rings, ring flash (Digitalis has one he uses for things other than macro!).

Enjoy the adventure!