Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #1

Location: City of Elliot Lake (North Eastern) Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
auto focus on 300mm prime has quit

Suddenly my lens will not auto focus. Kit lens fine but the 300mm will not auto focus.
In the viewfinder "m f" shows and blinks and does not focus. The info screen, menu displays for only 5 seconds then blanks out.
I can focus manually with either the lens or the K20D set on manual. Pictures taken can be reviewed/deleted But no other operation related to "auto" works.
Have tried cleaning contacts with pencil eraser and alcohol.
Beyond that have run out of ideas.
Anyone help or do I face up to a couple of weeks with the lens in the shop?

09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

To confirm: does the 300mm lens has a focus ring or clutch that moves to allow MF or AF function?

I ask this because I can reproduce your error by setting the focus clutch ring on my lens to MF.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 09-09-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification
09-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

WHICH, 300mm autofocus lens?

09-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Marc: No Focus ring. But ha manual AF/MF switch on barrel

JeffJS: SMC DA* 300mm F4ED[IF] SDM

09-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seeing well Quote
Marc: No Focus ring. But ha manual AF/MF switch on barrel

JeffJS: SMC DA* 300mm F4ED[IF] SDM
No focus ring on the DA*300mm ? .
The lens has the clutch Marc inquires about (aka quick shift). You can just grab it and turn the focus ring whether the camera is in AF or MF and regardless of the switch on the lens.

If the lens has stopped focusing one of two things has happened. The SDM has failed in the lens for some reason or the camera has somehow stopped working with SDM lenses. The former being the more likely of the two but this is the first report of failed SDM on a DA* SDM Prime lens (non zoom) that I have seen. Your Kit lens still works because it is a screw drive autofocus only. Pentax has not given us the ability to switch between the two forms of autofocus. If SDM quits, it will not revert to screw drive (which the DA*300 is equipped with).

A couple things that You could have done come to mind. The AF/MF switch on the camera is not in AF (or the AF screw isn't extending for some reason) or the AF/MF switch on the lens is not responding, Or, the lens is not mounting all the way. You say you cleaned the contacts but the SDM contacts are the 2 Inside the lens mount.

If at all possible, I would take both the lens and the camera to a shop where you can try both. Your lens on a different camera and a different SDM lens on your K20d.

Are there any other circumstances that could have led to something happening (that you may have forgot to mention)?

09-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
Only other circumstance I can think of is where in a panic stop 8 months ago,the camera and this lens slid off the front seat of the car and landed flat on the floor mat. But nothing seemed to be affected.

Guess I gotta get on my horse and drive the 2 1/2 hours to the nearest camera shop with Pentax. Hope they are generous. Bought both camera and lens elsewhere. (internet. Camera through our forum and the lens via ebay.)
Thanks for the guidance. I'll keep you posted on results.
09-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Just returned from the camera shop.
Where they confirmed that the problem is with the lens.
So.
It is off to Pentax Canada for fix'n.
Thanx for the help.
09-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

If at all possible, let us know what caused it..

Good luck.

09-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Beyond thinking"contacts" then camera shop guy had no theory.
The request for repair he submitted said. " Lens will not auto focus. When on body the shutter fluxuates (sic) up and down."
I hope to be told definitely by Pentax when they call to get approval for repairs if cost is to exceed my $200 pre-approval.
Will update when I hear.
10-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Got it back after 5 weeks. Problem was a burned out contact. 5 weeks was 2 weeks too long as the middleman retailer (Henry's) screwed up and lost rack of it. Long story but I'll not make that mistake again. Will send it direct.
Anyway happy as can be with it now as I think it had been deteriorating for a while. AF and quality seemed less than when it was new but happened so slowly I never realized it till the end.
Many thanks for the guidance.
10-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is that a 100% crop, or heavy sharpening?

Congrats on getting it fixed.