Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-x - case suggestions

I just returned to SLR photography after a 25 year absence with my purchase of a K-x that arrived today. I bought the two lens kit with the 55-300 as the 2nd lens. I really appreciate the Lens section here and the positive reviews of that lens over the 200m option.

My question is - I do NOT want to carry everything + the kitchen sink with me everywhere like I did 25 years ago with my SLR. What I want is a bag that will handle a day of shooting at the kids ballgame, not hiccup with a bit of weather, will do shoulder or belt, and will accommodate the 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED lens and maybe 1 or 2 filters.

Thanks a bunch!

09-09-2010, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I just got the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW and looooove it

excellent quality, and there's an option to make it a chest bag with a 10 dollar strap (I got it and it's awesome)

it's big enough to hold the 55-300, probably with a hood attached too, and it has a front pocket that would accommodate filters

Also if you feel the need to carry more lenses, you can buy Lowepro lens cases and strap them to the side using a modular strap system, which is very polished, convenient and cool

Before I bought this piece of junk and immediately regretted it, I was embarrassed to take it out in public, I ended up selling it for half price and learned not to get low quality bags anymore
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this bag is perfect for a 1-2 lens and accessories bag.

Amazon.com: Lowepro SlingShot 100 All-Weather Digital Camera Backpack (Black): Electronics
09-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I just got the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW and looooove it

excellent quality, and there's an option to make it a chest bag with a 10 dollar strap (I got it and it's awesome)

it's big enough to hold the 55-300, probably with a hood attached too, and it has a front pocket that would accommodate filters

Also if you feel the need to carry more lenses, you can buy Lowepro lens cases and strap them to the side using a modular strap system, which is very polished, convenient and cool

Before I bought this piece of junk and immediately regretted it, I was embarrassed to take it out in public, I ended up selling it for half price and learned not to get low quality bags anymore
I know what you mean about cheap equipment. I remember what it was like in High School decades ago with limited funds and trying to buy on the cheap. Nearly never worth the money, even when it wasn't very much from my experience.

The Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW is one I looked at but the description at Amazon says "Fits a DSLR with attached lens (up to 17-55mm f/2.8)" which turned me away from it. You've been able to fit a 55-300mm on the body in that bag?

Thanks.

09-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
MSM
Veteran Member

I use the Crumpler 4 million dollar home (MDH), which will fit the Kx with a 55-300. Well constructed and able to hold a change of 4 AA's and filters, etc.

Here
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I know what you mean about cheap equipment. I remember what it was like in High School decades ago with limited funds and trying to buy on the cheap. Nearly never worth the money, even when it wasn't very much from my experience.

The Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW is one I looked at but the description at Amazon says "Fits a DSLR with attached lens (up to 17-55mm f/2.8)" which turned me away from it. You've been able to fit a 55-300mm on the body in that bag?

Thanks.
Most 17-55 f.2.8's are pretty big though, I had the DA 50-200 and it fit on the body with the hood attached, and with room to spare (I would have returned it for the 45AW but it doesn't have the chest strap attachments)

I know you'll be able to fit the lens on the body in the 50 AW, but after looking at a picture of the 50-200 and the 55-300 side by side, I think you'll have to reverse the hood
09-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #7

I have the same 2 lens kit you have. I got a Lowepro EX 140 when they were on sale at Walmart for ~$16. It's a good solid case and is about as tiny as I could see fitting the camera and the 2 kit lenses. They both fit nice and snug, though this is without any hoods.

It has belt loops and plenty of room for filters and spare batteries. It isn't water proof, but has kept my camera dry in a light rain.
09-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #8

I bought a Tamrac Express 6 bag at Sears when it was on sale for 19.99. It holds my K-x with 18-55 kit lens or 80-200 zoom lens attached, spare batteries, battery charger, instruction book, my cellphone, and various extras if you get creative with the velcro spacers inside.

80-200 zoom lens is a 1980s lens so the thing is 6-7 inches long.

09-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help folks. I own two Lowepro cases for my point and shoot cameras (Sony W170 and Panasonic ZS-5) and like them a lot. I'm going to sit down and google each bag. The other suggestion I got from a friend was for a CaseLogic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster.

Amazon.com: Caselogic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black): Camera & Photo
09-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Hello

After searching for ages I settle for a Lowepro passport sling bag (Lowepro - Passport Sling) - have a sigma 70-300 not the 55-300 but I think they are similar in size.

I could not be more pleased with it, transports the kit lens and the 70-300 and my Kx and with more space to spare… coat, water, personal documents, filters, lens hoods, extra batteries, my tamron 28-75 instead of the kit lens, you name it … I even managed to transport there besides my 2 lens kit, a netbook, a 6” eBook reader, a mifi 3g router and all the recharging cables!

Or… not… if I just want to take a camera and a lens attached…
It does not look as a camera bag and… one can have it around him all day without noting the weight of the thing.

Best regards,

Last edited by ddharriman; 09-12-2010 at 04:15 PM.
09-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried out my friends case logic (201 mentioned above) and it's very nice, but it barely fits the K-x with the 50-300 lens. Seems to be a lot of wasted space on either side of the lens and the lens touches bottom. Really like the bottom being moulded plastic because no moisture will seep through that way. The side pockets seem a bit thin, batteries or filters would be about it. The weakest part was the incredibly cheap strap it comes with (my friend changed his out for a Swiss Army messenger bag strap - huge improvement).

Still looking.....
09-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would recommend the Lowepro Off-Trails. I have the Off-Trail 2:

Lowepro - Off Trail 2

It's versatile because you can use with or without the side lens pockets, and also as a belt or shoulder bag. I use it for my K-x, with a 18-55mm and a 100-300mm, and I'm able to fit it all inside the bag with any of the 2 attached to the body (I don't even use the side pockets).

I like this bag, as it allows me to fit a lot of gear, including a 300 zoom, without being a backpack or something bigger.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 09-10-2010 at 07:59 PM.
09-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I like Tamrac and have 2 of them (medium Pro 8 and larger Pro 12). I also have some smaller Quantaray bags.

Maybe this?
Amazon.com: Tamrac 3537 Express 7 Camera Bag (Black): Camera & Photo
09-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I would recommend the Lowepro Off-Trails. I have the Off-Trail 2:

Lowepro - Off Trail 2

It's versatile because you can use with or without the side lens pockets, and also as a belt or shoulder bag. I use it for my K-x, with a 18-55mm and a 100-300mm, and I'm able to fit it all inside the bag with any of the 2 attached to the body (I don't even use the side pockets).

I like this bag, as it allows me to fit a lot of gear, including a 300 zoom, without being a backpack or something bigger.
Thanks. That bag system looks great. Problem is that it appears to be out of production and not available in any of the usual places.
09-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered a Lowepro Top Loader 55AW because its dimensions are long enough to fit the K-x with the 300mm attached. ''It arrived today and I reviewed it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/83212-cam...ml#post1182138

All I can say is that this is getting very frustrating.