Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Macros Filters

Hello Pentax folks,

My first post here, as a proud new owner of a White Pentax k-x.

Anyway, I picked up some Filters for my 18-55mm kit.
+1, +4, +10 Macro filters.

Now I heard of a technique where you apply the filter behind the lens, is this a viable option? I'm currently putting them on the end of the lens, I imagined that this was the spot for them since there are threads and all. However I wouldn't be able to mount my Lens hood if I wanted to.

If you're wondering, I went with the filters to get a feel for the Macro side of things before really forking out money to get some more lenses.

I have many styles of interest in this field; Landscape, Wildlife, Street, & Portraits. I just don't know which ones I want to buy lenses for.

Any advice you guys could give a new photo taker would be appreciated.

Peace.

09-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some lenses are designed to have rear-mounted filters, but I've never heard of doing that with a lens designed for front filters (as most are).
09-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the filters you purchased go onto the front of the lens, the diopters +1, +2 and +4 refer to the characteristic of each filter and specifically the focal length.

+1 diopter is a 1000mm focal length, +2 is 500mm, and +4 is 250mm. when put on a lens, the combination results in a modification to infinity focus, such that you are now limited to subject distances at or less than the focal length of the close up lens.

There are rear mounted macro "adaptors" called extension tubes. These are hollow tubes that move the lens forward, and also impact infinity focus, and working distance and are offered in sets of fixed lengths, which also permit macro work.

In both cases the "macro" magnification is achieved by modifying the focusing distance because the magnification of a lens is a function of the ratio of image to lens distance over lens to sensor distance.
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You can also purchase a reversing ring to mount your lens backward on your camera, which would be appropriate for macro use.

Of course, controlling the aperture without an aperture ring can be... challenging.

Paul

09-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Taking a left.

Cool thanks for the relpies, I will continue to experiment with these some more.

On a side note I am thinking of a new lens, aside from my kit one. (18-55mm)

I think that a 70-300mm lens would be a good choice, but can't really afford forking out much money. I have done a little reading on getting an adapter mount so I may have a wider range of options and lower prices.

Any experienced suggestions?
09-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A typical 70-300 runs about $150. I don't think you'll find any cheaper options by getting one for a different mount plus an an adapter, and even if you do, the results won't be as good. Do check the dozens of existing threads discussing the various different telephoto zoom choices, as well as the lens review database on this site.
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
You can also purchase a reversing ring to mount your lens backward on your camera, which would be appropriate for macro use.
A note on this: REVERSAL DOES NOT MAGNIFY! EXTENSION MAGNIFIES! One or more mount-reversal rings are very good to have. Reversed, a standard lens becomes flatfield, albeit with a rather close working distance, under two inches. But the only magnification that comes from reversing a lens, is from the extension caused by an inset of the objective. Reversed lenses (preferably manual primes) work great on cheap tubes or bellows.

QuoteQuote:
Of course, controlling the aperture without an aperture ring can be... challenging.
Challenging, yes, that's one word for it. Or PITA. Or just bothersome... And that's why cheap +diopter sets and corrected Raynox closeup adapters are popular.
09-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
I've come across a good deal on a pair of Tamron lenses on ebay. However, I can get the same range that I'm looking for (70-300mm) with a Sigma around the same price. The Tamron comes packaged with a 28-80mm too for a little more than the Sigma alone.

With you experience which of the two brands to you consider to be a better purchase. Granted I'm and still learning and may move on to better quality lenses as my eye develops.

I tried to attach some photos I took with the Macros filters, but it wouldn't work for some strange reason.

09-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you search you will find many Sigma vs. Tamron 70-300 posts. You might also consider the Pentax 50-200.

Paul
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
Paul,

I played with a canon lens that I believe was either 150 or 200mm. I can't remember, however I feel like I may like the distance I can get with a 300mm.

Thanks for the suggestion as I will look around for a place that has one so I can physically try it out.

Fresh

Last edited by ProfessTheFresh; 09-20-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spelling