Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Got My Metz, But a question on it

I received my Metz flash this week and I have a question regarding the firmware upgrade. The manual says that you can upload new firmware via the net with the usb cord. However, there was no usb cord in the box. Do I need to purchase this separately ? Shouldn't that cord have been included with the flash? Am I missing something here? By the way, ordered from B&H on a Sunday nite and received it Tues Am. Great shipping

09-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt that the flash would come with a USB cord- but you camera definitely did, so why not try that one?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, tried it; and it works! How important are the firmware upgrades?
09-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not sure on that one- but I bet someone else will know (or start a new thread specifically on that topic).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also have a question concerning the Metz 58. I may be just overanalyzing this issue, but if someone could provide a definitive answer I would be very grateful. My question has to do with inserting the batteries into the flash. There is a +,-,+, - guide to follow on the battery compartment door, when inserting the batteries. What I am unsure of is whether it means place the positive end down? of up? for the slot with the "+". I don't want to screw this up, since the instructions say that putting the batteries in wrong can ruin the flash.
09-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Typically, the diagram states what you should be looking at from the top if the batteries are inserted correctly. The worse that will happen is the flash will not work and you'll have to reverse them. Been there, done that.

09-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks JeffJS!

Another question... I purchased the flash from TriState Camera (didn't know their reputation beforehand:-( The first unit I received emitted a strong burning odor. After some hassle, they agreed to replace the unit. I received the replacement yesterday. It also emits a burning odor. Is this normal or is Metz havig quality control problems? I emailed the service dept at Bogen and received an email from a Metz tech saying that this is normal and should dissipate over time. Is this true? I had a Metz 58 once before and it never emitted a burning odor. At this point I don't know whether I should put pressure on TriState for a refund or keep using the flash and see what happens? What would you guys reommend?

09-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I've bought from Tri-State a couple times, including my AF540 flash 3+ years ago. No problems with the flash (until 1 ONE week after the warranty expired) so no issues them on customer service to report.

Re the flash. I'm sure it has a warranty so I'd hang on to it at this point. Yours isn't the first burning odor report I've seen. My most current Metz is a 50MZ5 handle type flash. I Suppose that, the heat from the tube could be burning off some residual something or other from the manufacturing and will dissipate, as the tech suggests. Your call as to whether or not continuing to return them. I guess if you're not seeing smoke, you may be fine.

09-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I've bought from Tri-State a couple times, including my AF540 flash 3+ years ago. No problems with the flash (until 1 ONE week after the warranty expired) so no issues them on customer service to report.

Re the flash. I'm sure it has a warranty so I'd hang on to it at this point. Yours isn't the first burning odor report I've seen. My most current Metz is a 50MZ5 handle type flash. I Suppose that, the heat from the tube could be burning off some residual something or other from the manufacturing and will dissipate, as the tech suggests. Your call as to whether or not continuing to return them. I guess if you're not seeing smoke, you may be fine.

Thanks, sounds reasonable. I guess if there turns out to be a bigger problem, I've got it in writing that they assured me it wasn't a problem lol I can live with the aroma as long as a malfunctioning flash doesn't fry my camera. While I could see them replacing the flash under warranty, they'd probably swear there is no proof that their product damaged my K7.
09-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would strongly suggest you stick with the known reputable camera shops, B & H, Adorama, they are reliable, and most importantly, not shysters...you can trust them to do what it takes to satisfy the customer.