Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

struggling with consistancy......

Hi all......
Why am I struggling .......?? Everything works fine one day and the next I am back to the begining......
I feel like I have twiddled with the many dials and switches too much ( KM/K2000)........and now nothing is behaving the way I expect. I cant get my focus or my metering right at the moment.......in fact it all looks like the proverbial. I took some happy snaps at a party the other night......they are awful! Really really bad
I can look at them and see where I went wrong NOW but at the time I was sure I had the settings right. I had to push the iso to 800 and am now looking at the consequences Out of focus,movement blur, overexposed, noisy.....

I am just whinging.....pay no attention to me.

Jan

09-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It might be more helpful(overall), if you posted some info on the system your using btw.

However... if its any consolation, I don't think you're going through anything other than experiencing the many facets and conditions that make-up photography. For what it's worth, it takes time, and as you have most likely seen, with each setting comes its own set of rules and limitations. ie. indoor shooting, low light shooting, sports, etc etc.

One of my favorite activities is to recreate conditions so that I can learn to work through them with my equipment. For example... roughly six years ago, someone invited me to cover a private skating party. I grabbed my camera(Nikon at the time) and headed out with the intent of doing justice to the equipment I owned. However... to my shock and horror, the indoor rink had reduced me to the same level as a point and shoot noob.

So in retaliation, I decided to go out every Saturday afternoon(public skating), sit in the bleachers, and figure-out what the heck was needed to take photo's in an indoor rink. It nearly took an entire winter, but I finally worked it out and have been making good use of that experience ever since.

The short story is, don't let yourself get overwhelmed with all areas coming at you at once. Try to look at it on a case by case basis and you may quickly find that most of these challenges can serve as opportunities as your will undoubtedly move to improve yourself as a photographer.

And don't forget your biggest strength. That of the community to fall back on. There are many seasoned shooters here with plenty of advice to share.

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-11-2010 at 02:48 AM.
09-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good advice, JohnBee.
I would add one minor thing: while each setting has its own set of rules and limitations, the way they interact with each other varies depending on how they are set. Makes it real tricky sometimes.
Jan, sometimes it's best to reset everything to its default, and start from scratch, changing one thing at a time to see its effect. It'll take awhile, as John can attest, but the knowledge will last a lifetime.
Good luck!
09-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys
I guess I was expecting more from myself and no doubt the Midori and rum had some influence.........thats awful stuff.....
This is an example of my dissapointment. The gear didnt fail.........it was the driver

Exif data should be intact but in case it isnt.....Pentax k2000/km, iso 800, 55mm ( on a sigma 28-70 2.8 ). 1/5 at f3.2 manual with manual flash at 1/4. Spot metering........AWB......

09-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your problem here is way too slow a shutter speed - it's so slow that ambient light is sufficient to illuminate the well enough to show the motion blur. Simply speeding up the shutter and changing nothing else would probably fix it - I'm assuming the flash is putting out enough light to not need help from ambient light just to illuminate your subject. You could also turn ISO down and flash output up if you liked, but really, at the posted size, I don't see noise as a cause for concern (and were you really planning on making wall posters from these?)

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-12-2010 at 08:41 AM.
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hahaha happy snaps were all I wanted
I have been sitting here with the manual and the camera and think I have worked out a few more things.
One of them being ..I am numericaly challenged.........seriously!
So... A n the apature section of the display if it says 1.3" that means 1.3 seconds long.
B : If it says 1/10 it means one tenth of a second........1/4000 = one 4000th of a second

sooo....A is slower ( is open longer, lets in more light ) than B.

cheers
Jan
09-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Forum Member

The numbers you are referring to are actually the shutter speed, not the aperture. Those would be 2.8, 5.6, 16 etc. But yes, 1.3 seconds is a much longer exposure, only usable with the camera on a tripod and still subject, unless you are going for some sort of effect.