Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Making me lean towards the Metz 48 AF-1

Or should I go for the Sigma super?
  • Did Sigma (and/or Pentax) address this assist beam compatibilty issue that is flashing on camera assist beam?
  • Will I miss the bounce card of the Metz?
The Sigma ST is not comparable to the others, too compromised.

I have a Sigma 530 Super. I agree, the menus are confusing, but I've read more posts criticizing the Metz menus than I have the Sigmas', so I believe this should be added to the Metz list of cons in the P-TTL guide.

As Matt mentioned, a focus assist beam will not trigger the Sigma flash, it's only triggered by the strobing of the built-in flash on the older Pentaxes. I've also heard this can happen with the Pentax 540. I have a K20D, but it's not something that's affected me, because I've only used the flash off-camera where I had enough light to focus without AF assist.

Mlatour criticized the Sigma because it broke when it fell while mounted on the camera. I consider that a feature. I'd rather the flash break than my camera's hot shoe. It will not break in normal use.

The biggest difference to me with Sigma Super vs Metz 48 is power. Even the full power flashes like the Sigma run out of range sometimes. A bounce card is a nice feature. I wish the Sigma had one, but it's not as important as power.

The Metz 48 can't act as a controller. That's an issue if you ever intend to add another flash. With a Metz 48 now and a 58 later, you'd have the more powerful flash on the camera, and the weaker one in the umbrella; not ideal. A pair of Sigma 530 Supers is less costly than a Metz 48 + 58. Perhaps the new Metz 50 will be able to act as a controller? I believe there's also a problem with the sensor location on the Metz flashes that has been addressed in the newest versions (Not mentioned in the Definitive Guide?).

09-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So Sigma it will be!!!
- Will it best match with the Sigma 50 mm F1.4 or the 50-150 mm F2.8?
09-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote

Making me lean towards the Metz 48 AF-1

Why?
Biggest potential frustration is that if I want to extend my setup in the future wirelessly then I will probably need to go for a Metz 58 AF-1 (which is even more expensive that the flagship flash of Pentax).

Or should I go for the Sigma super?
  • Did Sigma (and/or Pentax) address this assist beam compatibilty issue that is flashing on camera assist beam?
  • Will I miss the bounce card of the Metz?
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

The Metz 48 can't act as a controller. That's an issue if you ever intend to add another flash. With a Metz 48 now and a 58 later, you'd have the more powerful flash on the camera, and the weaker one in the umbrella; not ideal. A pair of Sigma 530 Supers is less costly than a Metz 48 + 58. Perhaps the new Metz 50 will be able to act as a controller? I believe there's also a problem with the sensor location on the Metz flashes that has been addressed in the newest versions (Not mentioned in the Definitive Guide?).

I'm considering these two as well (48 and super). Bounce card is presumably worse than an index card taped to the top, but is always there.

Someone had claimed that the 48 is more powerful than the super at max manual mode despite guide numbers, anyone do this test?

48 can't be master, but at least it can still be triggered as slave by a pop-up flash. If you buy 2 sigmas, you can buy 2 48's and set both up to be triggered, right?

I've heard the Sigma's zoom head can get be slow and effectively limit the recycle time?

I was leaning toward the 48, but now I'm leaning toward the super.
09-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Perhaps the new Metz 50 will be able to act as a controller? I believe there's also a problem with the sensor location on the Metz flashes that has been addressed in the newest versions (Not mentioned in the Definitive Guide?).
I think the press release would have mentioned if the 50 AF-1 could act as a controller. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, though.

I'm waiting for the PDF manual to be available on the web site before I do an update to the guide. Also hopefully I'll be able to find one locally to actually test.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of controller ability even for two flashes, because when I add a second flash, I expect I'll still use the built-in flash as the controller most of the time.

09-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I think the press release would have mentioned if the 50 AF-1 could act as a controller. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, though.
I thought I may have read that, but as you say, it's not in the press release, so it's unlikely.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm not too concerned about the lack of controller ability even for two flashes, because when I add a second flash, I expect I'll still use the built-in flash as the controller most of the time.
I always carry a flash in my main kit and would only bring a second flash to a formal event, so I would still sometimes use the pop-up as a controller. I was pretty ticked off to see a lot of redeye in one of my studio type shoots, from using the pop-up to contribute to lighting. A second Sigma Super would resolve the problem, especially mated with my nice new flash bracket. A second Sigma also gets around the potential AF-assist problem with the K20. The Sigma's red assist beam wouldn't trigger the off-camera flash. And two Sigma flashes still ony cost about the same as a single Pentax 540 or Metz 58.
09-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Someone had claimed that the 48 is more powerful than the super at max manual mode despite guide numbers, anyone do this test?
If this were true, the Metz 48 would also exceed the Pentax 540 and the Metz 58 would be a monster. Sounds like pure fanboyism to me.

48 can't be master, but at least it can still be triggered as slave by a pop-up flash.
True, but in slave mode it would also be triggered by someone shooting a p&s nearby.

If you buy 2 sigmas, you can buy 2 48's and set both up to be triggered, right?
Yes, as long as the Sigmas are Super, not ST. But are you talking about buying four flashes? I would investigate other solutions for that kind of money (studio strobes, speedilights etc).

I've heard the Sigma's zoom head can get be slow and effectively limit the recycle time?
I have never seen this. I get bad/horrible recycle times with Alcalines (6-10s), about 4s with Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables. The flash zoom takes maybe a second.

I was leaning toward the 48, but now I'm leaning toward the super.
I chose the Sigma and haven't seen any reason to regret it.
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Yes, as long as the Sigmas are Super, not ST. But are you talking about buying four flashes? I would investigate other solutions for that kind of money (studio strobes, speedilights etc).
Sorry, I was referring to the fact that 48's can't be masters: so buy 2 sigmas. But you can just buy 2 48's and have the on-board trigger both.

Do any of these have auto-thyristor mode?

09-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Sorry, I was referring to the fact that 48's can't be masters: so buy 2 sigmas. But you can just buy 2 48's and have the on-board trigger both.
Yes, but the pop-up has limited range, especially in daylight. Also, I was told the Metz 48 sensor can't swing to face the on-board flash. The Sigma can, which makes it more sensitive to the controller signal.

Do any of these have auto-thyristor mode?
Nope.
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz 50AF-1

Has any one tried this unit Yet?

Metz 50 AF-1 Digital Flash with Pentax Mount

Seems to be okay by the write up, looking to buy a good inexpensive flash and this one seems to fit the bill.
09-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wijou Quote
Has any one tried this unit Yet?

Metz 50 AF-1 Digital Flash with Pentax Mount

Seems to be okay by the write up, looking to buy a good inexpensive flash and this one seems to fit the bill.
No: it's announced, but not actually available yet. (Looks like Canon and Nikon versions are available in Germany, but even those won't be in the US until at least October.)