Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Purchased K-x but might return it

I purchased a K-x with two kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-300 from B&H and I am thinking about returning it. I have a Canon film SLR with a few decent lenses (50 mm 1.8 and a 35-70MM) and flash. The price was phenomenol on the K-x at $630 compared to a Canon T2i. The new K-r looks to be more expensive and not the bargain that the K-x is. I have messed with film SLRs for years but the Canon has sat collecting dust since I got some decent P&S digitals. So should I sell the Canon stuff and make the move to Pentax or return it and wait until the next more advanced bargain comes along?

09-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r is still a bargain as far as most are concerned - AFAIK, the K-x cost $799 too, when launched.

I'd keep the Pentax stuff, since you got such a great deal (and those lenses aren't going to be obsolete). Sell off most of your Canon system, except maybe the body and a standard zoom lens, just in case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Kx is a great camera, I'm on my second one and even sold my K7 and went back to the same Kx kit you have

The Kx is in a class of it's own for the price, but all and all, it's a very basic camera. If you want a more advanced camera, especially when it comes to video, you'll have to pony up to the T2i, Sony SLT series or the Nikon D3100, which are far far far more expensive. The K-r is trying to compete with those cameras and will have a very hard time doing it as it is lacking severely in features comparatively.

However, in the basic camera bracket that consists of the XSi, D5000, D3000, and various Sony Alpha's, the Kx is hands down the absolute best when it comes to features, image quality, and price. Just remember that none of those cameras are very full featured, like the Kx

So far the best bargain you could find if you want a more advanced camera would probably be the Sony SLT A33, it's spec sheet is off the charts and is reasonably priced to match, but it's still far more expensive than the Kx
09-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-r is still a bargain as far as most are concerned - AFAIK, the K-x cost $799 too, when launched.

I'd keep the Pentax stuff, since you got such a great deal (and those lenses aren't going to be obsolete). Sell off most of your Canon system, except maybe the body and a standard zoom lens, just in case.
The K-x was $650 with the kit lens at launch.

09-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-x was $650 with the kit lens at launch.
maybe 800 with the two lens kit?
09-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From the original press release

QuoteQuote:
The PENTAX K-x (in black and white) will ship in October 2009 in three configurations: options:

· K-x single lens kit with body and an smc PENTAX DA L 18-55mm lens for USD $649.95.

· K-x twin lens kit for $749.95 including a K-x body, the smc PENTAX DA L 18-55mm lens and the smc PENTAX DA L 50-200mm zoom lens.

· K-x twin lens kit for $849.95 including a K-x body, the smc PENTAX DA L 18-55mm lens and the smc PENTAX DA L 55-300mm zoom lens.
09-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
So the prices have gone up $150 to $200. This gets awfully close to the T2i even so the Canon does not discounted much and the K-r probably will.

How much of a difference is there in the video between the T2i and the K-x?

09-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stokasz Quote
So the prices have gone up $150 to $200. This gets awfully close to the T2i even so the Canon does not discounted much and the K-r probably will.

How much of a difference is there in the video between the T2i and the K-x?
if you want video you should get the T2i, it's full HD, has indecipherable video quality from the 7D and has full manual control over frame rate, Tv, Av and ISO in video mode which is HUGE! not even my $1200 sony camcorder let's you control all 4 at once

The Kx video is good, check out the video forum and you'll see the great things that have been done with it, but it's only 720p and was just tacked on as an afterthought much like most HD cameras that came out when the Kx did, the T2i is a video machine just as much as a camera, but the T2i is close to twice the price of the Kx
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased a K-x with two kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-300 from B&H and I am thinking about returning it.
I don't get it. You have not said what is wrong with the K-x you just bought. Other than the fact it won't take your Canon lenses. Why would you return it?
09-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So should I sell the Canon stuff and make the move to Pentax or return it and wait until the next more advanced bargain comes along?
it's a very basic camera, and the OP later mentioned the T2i, which is a very advanced camera, I'd probably just guess that he wants some more advanced video performance. The canon name isn't that bad either (when I first told my parent's that I got a Pentax DSLR they said "ew" )
09-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
The reasons I thinking about returning (from smallest to biggest) are the lack of AF points, LCD screen resolution and lack of 1080P video. The camera has proven to take pictures at par with the T2i. I am less concerned about switching brands but I am concerned that when Pentax comes out with a 1080P video body (the K-r fixes AF points and screen resolution) that it will not cost significantly less than the T2i does. I am thinking that if I wait another year I can get a 1080P video DSLR for about $500 for the body from Canon or Pentax. It is a hard case to make to buy Pentax at the same or similar cost to Canon because of lens selection ( granted in body IS is a huge plus) and resale value.
09-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then I'm sure you'll find the K-r picking up on the deficiencies you're concerned about with the K-x. If you really want good quality video, I'd suggest not dilly-dallying with dSLRs that have movie mode - just go for a decent video camera to do the job for you. Yes, it means two separate items, but if it's real quality you want, then there's no substitute.
09-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Then I'm sure you'll find the K-r picking up on the deficiencies you're concerned about with the K-x. If you really want good quality video, I'd suggest not dilly-dallying with dSLRs that have movie mode - just go for a decent video camera to do the job for you. Yes, it means two separate items, but if it's real quality you want, then there's no substitute.
I think this will prove to be a huge source of debate over the next few years, or at least until all dslr's get AF-C in video. Right now the T2i is a really power filmmaking device, it has capabilities that my $1200 handycam doesn't like selectable frame rates and manual control, but then my handycam has a slew of features that it doesn't
09-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #14

1080p or not, I have a really hard time seeing video as a compelling reason to buy any DSLR.

Personally, after watching my husband go through various video camera upgrades to get the quality he wanted in the end result, I have to say, trying to use a DSLR to take good video footage is like comparing the pictures a pocket point-and-shoot camera is capable of, to the pictures a good DSLR and lens is capable of. If you want good video, you need a device designed specifically for that purpose, one that has the resolution and options for customization that will give you the quality you need. Just like picture cameras, you get what you pay for. I can't begin to tell you the difference in quality and manual control between the $300 home video cam we started with, to the pro-sumer $2000 Canon GL2 he borrowed from a friend and used for awhile, to the $4000 Canon XH-A1 professional camera he uses now. Yes, it's HD, but it's more than that. Even in standard def, the XH-A1 footage was head and shoulders above even the GL2, a very similar camera in most respects for standard def filming.

IMO, there is simply no comparison between a real video cam and video capability on a camera meant for photos.

Sure, if you're just interested in taking quick videos on vacation - you want to capture your six year old's first ride on Dumbo at Disney - then having video on a DLSR becomes a neat feature you can use for that impulse. But if you're planning on doing any regular filming - weddings, sports, video blogging - I would second the notion that you might want to look at both a DSLR and a good video cam.
09-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #15

Original Poster
I am going to keep the K-x. The video issues do not bother me enough to overcome the huge price advantage this camera has with no tradeoff for picture quality or usability. I can trade up in a year or two for a newer body if I want to and I don't have to pay Canon premium prices for everything.

I think the K-r will be a success for Pentax as the street prices will probable settle $50-100 higher than the K-x and when they go to 1080P video there will be even more success. I think what is crucial is that Pentax keeps about a $200 price advantage over Canon/Nikon until they establish/re-establish themselves.

I think point and shoots have an advantage for video over DSLRs because of their autofocus ability without camera noise, IMHO.