Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #1

K-X + surfing/wrestling

Alright so I am looking to get the K-x.

Now, I understand that the K-X doesnt really take GREAT sport photos, but I really like the price and 720p video.

However, I was wondering if, by buying the KX, I am seriously limiting myself to taking action shots.

For example, if I buy the KX, are there any good lenses that will be able to boost the KX's performance to acceptable/good (for sports)?

09-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Whoa where did you get that information?

if the Kx, a Canon DSLR and a Nikon DSLR all took the same sports picture, chances are the Kx would look the best because of it's incredible low light/handheld/fast shutter performance with optimal detail retention and low noise

Where the Kx suffers is AF performance, it will be harder for the Kx to follow moving subjects as well as the competition, but it doesn't mean the Kx can't take good sports photos, it can take great sports photos. Also it has a faster burst speed than any camera in it's price range and that is pretty important for sports

Normally you'd have to buy really expensive lenses with any dslr to get good sports photos in low light, but the Kx is so effective at high ISO's (low light) that it can achieve almost the same lighting affect as a more expensive lens

If I were on a budget and had to pick a dslr for indoor or low light sports photos I would most likely choose the Kx over anything else under 1000 dollars because has better detail retention and less noise than the D5000, and a much faster burst speed than the T2i. Sony has some nice offerings but they are more expensive, and don't have the option to use Pentax glass like the DA 55-300 which is an amazing telephoto for the money. While it is a fact that Pentax autofocus performance is not as good as the competition, I have never had a problem with it while taking pictures of birds, my little cousins, snowboarders or any other moving object.

Surfing and wrestling wont be a problem anyway, with wrestling chances are the two people are going to be confined to a small area and wont be moving towards or away from the camera extremely fast, as well as surfing I guess you'll be taking pictures of people moving side to side relative to the camera, Pentax AF is just fine when the subject is moving side to side, but when the subject is moving towards or away from the camera then it causes problems

Last edited by future_retro; 09-13-2010 at 05:10 PM.
09-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
ah thanks a lot retro - I will pick up the KX within a few weeks!
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a pretty great camera, but there's no denying that the AF performance of Canon and Nikon is better, but for the crazy low price of the Kx it's well worth trying it first to see if the Pentax AF will present a problem, I highly doubt it will

and if it does....then you might have to sell a few organs because sports photography is very expensive, especially if you have to use Canon or Nikon dslrs'

09-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some good advice. Both the K-x and K-7 will give you excellent sport shots. The amount of light may have an influence on the lens selection, but that is independent of the camera body itself.

Recently I did a lot of photographs of tidal bore surfing (see below). With good sunlight, any lens will do a good job, incl. my DA18-250mm (great zoom range). At sunrise or sunset, the limited light implies the use of a large aperture lens, like a fast prime. I was very successful with the Voigtlander Notkon 58mm f1.4 to get some shots with sunrise ligh (ie just before sunrise) of some tidal bore surfing.

Hope that the comment will help...

K-7 + DA18-250mm - 14 Mp one star, & Resolution reduced to 75 dpi with PDCU