Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excited about old stuff

As I've said here, I am just back in to non P&S photography and part of why I decided on Pentax is their commitment to backward compatibility with their lenses.

Well, we had my sister and brother-in-law over tonight for dinner and I mentioned my new K-x. My B-i-L asked what brand and when I said Pentax he looked at my sister and she looked at me and said that they had an old Pentax 35mm that his parents had given them from the mid-80s. They weren't sure of anything other than it has a body, "Big flash", and two lenses "ones sort of short and the other is sort of long" along with bags, filters, etc. Seems my B-i-L has been trying to throw it out for years but my sister, bless her, has stopped him from doing so.

I explained to them that Pentax is backward compatible (my B-i-L is in software development and understood immediately). They immediately offered to give the whole setup to me. They're going to bring it over in 2 weeks when they next visit.

My B-i-L was pretty excited that it might actually be useful to someone so he's promised to take the information off the lenses, body, and flash and email it to me tomorrow. I'm eager to find out what was in the kit. Most likely, from what I've read, a 50mm f2 but still - I don't have a prime right now and that would be fun to practice with - particularly as its free

09-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Congratulations! It is a joy to use an old Takumar on our modern DSLRs!My *istD is permanently fitted with a screw-mount adaptor and has become my "digital Spotmatic"!
09-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A 50mm f/2 seems to be as common now a days as I've heard it was when it was in it's prime, I picked one up for 20 bucks and simply loved it. I didn't care too much about razor sharpness and I thought the photos wide open looked great, nice and dreamy........at least compared to the kit lens
09-13-2010, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

From another thread a while ago, when some one scored a rather large haul of old lenses and flashes, he was advised NOT to use the flash, since the older ones would potentially fry the camera.

I have not used a flash for years, and don't really know, but hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will help out....

09-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
From another thread a while ago, when some one scored a rather large haul of old lenses and flashes, he was advised NOT to use the flash, since the older ones would potentially fry the camera.

I have not used a flash for years, and don't really know, but hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will help out....
Thanks for the tip. I will hold off until I have researched it and even then may pass on it.

I'm just stoked that I have had the camera <1 week and family are already offering up old lenses to me
09-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
1,000,000th Poster!

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

+1 000 000

I got a great deal on a lot of old stuff once, and was told to test the flash first with one of those thingies that calculates voltage. It was over 10 times the maximum amount for the K-x. It would have fried the electronics!!!

It didn't matter before, because there was no electronics in old cameras. But now you have to be careful.
09-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My B-i-L emailed me and its a K1000 with M50 f2 and M135 f3.5. He sent a photo of the gear with a couple of boxes and tantalizingly there is a Pentax Grey box with Red letters that says 28mm 2.8 on the top - but he didn't mention anything about a 28mm lens. I've emailed him for additional info but the reviews of both the Primes look good. Back to old SLR days with these and will have to learn how to meter with the green button.

Again, thanks for the warnings about the flash. I see a pic of it in the box but it may just go onto eBay with the K1000.
09-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was right - there are 3 lenses in that shoebox!

Pentax M 50mm f2
Pentax 135mm f3.5
and...Pentax 28mm f2.8

3 primes and all for free. Now to see what kind of shape they are in.........

09-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Nothing wrong with free 'old stuff'. As noted however, do be careful of a couple things. The flash may be fine but at the very least, check against this database.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

A little long in the tooth but still some good info.

Be weary of non-pentax lenses too, particularly those labeled as Sears lenses. Do the Ricoh pin research, know it, live it, and you'll be fine.

Other than that, have loads of fun!

09-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Nothing wrong with free 'old stuff'. As noted however, do be careful of a couple things. The flash may be fine but at the very least, check against this database.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

A little long in the tooth but still some good info.

Be weary of non-pentax lenses too, particularly those labeled as Sears lenses. Do the Ricoh pin research, know it, live it, and you'll be fine.

Other than that, have loads of fun!

Thanks. From the info he sent they are all original Pentax lenses. The 50 & 135 are Ms but he was not specific on the 28mm but I'm guessing its an M too.

I've spent a lot of time in the Lens database here over the past 3-4 days. Amazing amount of information and I really appreciate the reviews too!
09-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I was right - there are 3 lenses in that shoebox!

Pentax M 50mm f2
Pentax 135mm f3.5
and...Pentax 28mm f2.8

3 primes and all for free. Now to see what kind of shape they are in.........
Not surprising. That was pretty much the standard kit back in the day.
09-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. From the info he sent they are all original Pentax lenses. The 50 & 135 are Ms but he was not specific on the 28mm but I'm guessing its an M too.

I've spent a lot of time in the Lens database here over the past 3-4 days. Amazing amount of information and I really appreciate the reviews too!
I must not have read the entire thread before making my reply. Nothing to worry about except what to shoot with Those lenses. Especially the 135 and 28. Just learn to read your camera's meter and you'll be fine. Here are some photos I did on my K7 with the 135 (I sold last week).

Index of /Photos/ForSale/M135

Some of those night shots are wide open at f3.5.. Look at the Exif. Anything shot (night time) faster than 1/30 or so, is wide open.

Here is a compare I did with an A28 f2.8 against the Kit lens several weeks ago (again, to sell the lens)..

1A_Compare 28 to kit lens - a set on Flickr

The photo names denote the lens used and in most cases, the aperture.

I was particularly impressed with this one, taken at f2.8. Look at the steps on the wire line pole. Also, there are no CA/PF corrections in this photo.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4879622089_5a9bf536ee_o.jpg

Compare it to this one, taken with the K7 kit lens at 28mm f8.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4880221426_a900f1b137_o.jpg

My warning about the flash still stands however.

09-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see what you mean about the detail on the pole ladder. Impressive detail. Were any of those shots with a filter on the lens?

I'm looking forward to receiving them in 10-14 days from my sister.
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I'm one of those who despises (protection) filters. That is unless they have a special purpose like a CPL. Where necessary, I'll use them with my film cameras but other than that, the lens front stays naked. Other than the obvious lens difference, the only other variable, as I would call it, is the kit lens had a hood, the 28mm did not.

09-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm one of those who despises (protection) filters. That is unless they have a special purpose like a CPL. Where necessary, I'll use them with my film cameras but other than that, the lens front stays naked. Other than the obvious lens difference, the only other variable, as I would call it, is the kit lens had a hood, the 28mm did not.

That appears to be one of the major differences between my film days of years ago and today's digital. There wasn't much discussion back then of UVs being bad - just which was the best. None of my kit lenses came with a hood - a cost saving measure my Pentax that is not a good one IMHO. I have two on order through ebay that folks had good things to say about but they will not have the coveted "PENTAX" on them