Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #1

Pentax K7 artifact problem

I've got a Pentax K7 which I've been using for months but I just noticed these image artifacts when I super zoom into photos. They seem to be crosses and circles. Usually blue but also green, yellow, and red.

What the heck happened? Do I need a cleaning? repair? or is it a problem with the camera?

I'm attaching samples from 3 separate images taken indoors and outdoors.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
09-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These look like dead pixels to me. Not sure why you have so many. The K-7 has a menu option to map them out of images (i.e. the camera will interpolate around them).

Or you could send your camera in for service, you seem to have a lot of them. I have yet to notice one in my shots after more than a year with my K-7...
09-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I've had mine for almost a year and there's maybe 15 or so of these things that I've counted (so far). I just tried the 'Pixel Mapping' feature you spoke of and it seems to have worked. Thanks much. If I go to get it serviced can they actually fix the dead pixels?
09-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

They can't fix the dead-pixels any better than you did. What they can do is replace the sensor (or the whole camera) if they determine that it is defective.

If pixel mapping solved the problem for now, good. But I'd keep a close eye on things to see how it evolves in the next few months.

09-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What firmware are you on?
The early firmware releases are know for stuck and hot pixels.
Install the latest firmware and then map out the pixels using the camera menu.

- Bert
09-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
always the latest firmware. I read dpreview every week and update firmware immediately whenever they get released. Well, since the mapping worked I will leave it at that. I'm just grateful you guys were able to help me so quickly!