Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Recommendations for photographer ready to move to a DSLR

A friend of mine is looking at getting his wife a DSLR with a good range of lenses.

She takes photos of everything from birds, pets, family photos, flora, fauna, buildings, drag racing.

She enjoys photography and up to know has been using a point and shoot with integral video.

But they have seen the pictures taken with my Pentax K10D/Km and assorted Pentax lenses and want to move up.

They would like to have equipment that will enable her to take pix of the same quality as mine.

She also likes to take video, with her current P+S. In addition they have a separate video (Samsung) camera.

So.....I'm suggesting the following equipment:

* Pentax KX with 18-55mm kit lens...on sale right now....and she likes colours other then black.
* Pentax 55-300 mm lens

Possibly, I may suggest :

* Pentax 16-45 mm lens as it's sharper, better lens in my opinion. I have both the 18-55 and the 16-45.
* B+W UV filter for each lens.
* Good camera bag..Lowepro, Tamrac, Kata...etc...that will carry all the above equipment. Any recommendations ?

At first I'm sure she will be a bit intimidated by the complexity of a DSLR compared to her P+S.

But I plan to suggest setting the KX on automatic...also auto ISO (adjusts between 100-400) so it's just a question of zooming the lenses and pressing the shutter button.

Eventually when she gets comfortable with the DSLR....I can show her the added features.

As far as I know the KX has a sterling reputation.

Any suggestions...does this seem like a good plan...any recommendations ?

Thanks, Les.

09-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find... I love all my lenses... my wife does not...

She sounds simular... I would say entry level body k-x/k-r without a kit lens and get a 18-250 pentax/sigma whichever....

I only suggest the k-r if some of the rumours about auto-focus are true...

that's my 2 cents and again... it is only what works for my miss...

But I WOULD NOT suggest getting both the kit and 16-45... either or... not both... yes it is better, but unless they have money to burn they will likely NOT see a difference...
09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your best bet would be to suggest the Kx with a DA 18-250mm like IcyWarm said. Unless she wants a great variety of lenses, and does not mind changing them often then the 18-250 should encompass everything she needs and is a great starting point.
09-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

86 the UV filters. Invest in hoods instead for the lenses that lack them.

Beyond that, I don't know enough about friend or his wife to make a real suggestion (as much as I like to spend other people's money)..

09-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I find... I love all my lenses... my wife does not...

She sounds simular... I would say entry level body k-x/k-r without a kit lens and get a 18-250 pentax/sigma whichever....

I only suggest the k-r if some of the rumours about auto-focus are true...

that's my 2 cents and again... it is only what works for my miss...

But I WOULD NOT suggest getting both the kit and 16-45... either or... not both... yes it is better, but unless they have money to burn they will likely NOT see a difference...
I agree....about not getting both the 18-55 and 16-45. Problem is up here..the KX always seems to come with the kit lens, only.
09-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Kx's auto ISO can be put from 200-3200 easily, that's what I put my range at and the ISO 3200 images are clean and beautiful
09-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

For a small and capable camera, the K-x is is the best choice out of all available entry-level models IMO. Combined with decent glass, it's an excellent choice. There is also the option of going with a new K-r, seeing as though it builds on the capabilities of the K-x, if it's within her budget.

Some of the things she wants to shoot include macro capability, which she should strongly consider a good macro lens - even AF if it's in her budget (DFA 100 or 50, or Sigma 70 or Tamron 90 are all my suggestions).

Then landscapes, I'd suggest DA 12-24 and either a kit lens or something like a Tamron 28-75 or Sigma 24-70. So many options - it's really up to her what she'd like to go for.
09-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How good is the kit 18-55 ? I have it and I know it isn't at the level of a 12-24mmm...but I'm thinking that maybe a Pentax 50 F2.8 Macro (she likes flowers), a 55-300 and maybe keep the 18-55..as it comes with the camera...rather then a 16-45 or a 12-24.

What do you think out there ?

09-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
The Kx's auto ISO can be put from 200-3200 easily, that's what I put my range at and the ISO 3200 images are clean and beautiful
I see you have the 18-55...how do you like it ?

As you say, I understand the KX's ISO range is much better then my K10D and also better then the Km.
09-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

if they want the kit lens I have one for sale... cheap... it is in great shape it is in the DA not the DA-L.... just thought of that... I'm in western canada... so the shipping is next to nothing and quick 1-2 days is only like $12... say $60 shipped...
09-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
How good is the kit 18-55 ?
Good enough that it would be silly not to get it if one is not absolutely positive from actual prior experience that they have specific needs that make them part of the minority for whom not getting it but instead covering that range with other lenses makes more sense.
09-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

the 18-55 is just fine, it's a good lens, it comes with the camera and there's no reason not to buy it, and even less reason not to try it out before you buy a more expensive lens that might not make a difference to the person using it

After my breif run in with LBA, I returned my two limited's (DA 15 and 40) and my sigma 10-20 and concluded that the kit lenses were all that I could possibly need and I haven't regretted that decision once
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
the 18-55 is just fine, it's a good lens, it comes with the camera and there's no reason not to buy it, and even less reason not to try it out before you buy a more expensive lens that might not make a difference to the person using it

After my breif run in with LBA, I returned my two limited's (DA 15 and 40) and my sigma 10-20 and concluded that the kit lenses were all that I could possibly need and I haven't regretted that decision once

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I think a wise course of action is to let my friend use my KM with the kit 18-55 and the 16-45...I have both. Then transfer the photos to a computer and she can judge whether the 16-45 is worth it for her.