Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

K-X HDR function question.

just a quick question about HDR, i only used it once or twice when i first got my K-x, i dont remember this happening.

When i take a photo with HDR, the third photo has a shutter delay, like its a slightly longer shutter speed. So its two quick snaps, then a slower third snap. I dont remember it doing this the first time i tried it, but the photos come out clean, and i was just wondering if this is normal.

09-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Since HDR is a composite of different exposures, the overexposed image has a slower shutter speed to let more light in. Maybe when you used it earlier, the scene was so bright that you didn't notice, but in your recent shots, it needed to stay open longer to get the light.
09-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

Try bracketing your shots...does the same thing. Pic 3 will always take a bit longer
09-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the amount of available light will affect how long the shutter stays open. If shooting outside on a sunny day the last shot will be un-noticeably longer and as the light decreases the last shot will get longer and longer (this is due to the fact that the last shot is over exposed and therefore requires a longer shutter lag).

09-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

yep totally normal, the exposures should go:
  1. short
  2. long
  3. longer

the actual time the shutters are open depends on the light just like if you were taking one picture
09-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If u find a problem with the 3rd longer exposure snap, try mount it on a heavy duty tripod and use IR remote to trigger the shot.......i have learned thats the only way to make the internal HDR function works on the k-x
nice result tho
09-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taiweitai Quote
If u find a problem with the 3rd longer exposure snap, try mount it on a heavy duty tripod and use IR remote to trigger the shot.......i have learned thats the only way to make the internal HDR function works on the k-x
nice result tho
it is, it doesn't even let you use SR or self timer
09-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
i just dont get it at all..... i would imagine turning off the SR makes sense to that kind of function but how the self timer would affect that particularly ?

09-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The not allowing self timer makes no sense to me, the one time I actually wanted to use the HDR I couldn't because I forgot my remote
09-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
Well, thats the answer, the first time i used it was a very sunny and bright day, lately the days in Wisconsin have been cloudy, dark, and wet.
09-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

You're really supposed to do HDR on a tripod, and when using a tripod, you're supposed to turn off SR anyway.

I never noticed about the self timer not working, though. That WOULD be strange.
09-17-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

The one time I actually wanted to use the HDR I couldn't because I forgot my remote
Your finger wasn't working?
09-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Your finger wasn't working?
I was doing a portrait oriented shot with my heavy K7+grip hanging precariously off of 40 dollar tripod, if I let it "set" for a few seconds it would stay still and would have been able to get a good shot, but when I used the shutter button it just shook like crazy so all the pictures came out significantly blurry

I understand the SR, I said that to back up that HDR should only be done on a tripod

I just checked and my new Kx doesn't let you use a self timer either, just single frame HDR and [instant shutter] remote HDR, no delay timers at all in HDR, which I find stupid
09-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

HDR won't work in M mode at all, right?
09-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

looks like it works in Manual on the Kx