Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
brand new user questions

I have had a Pentax Me for over 25 years and now, after a couple of point-and-shoots I am about to purchase a K-x ( $600 Canadian at Future Shop).
I have a couple of ( dumb) questions.
Why does the kit lens have such a small aperture range compared to my old ones for the ME? All dslr cameras seem to be the same for apertures.

I have read that my old 28 and 135mm Pentax lenses will work with the K-x in manual mode, but I also have a Panagor auto macro converter and a Vivitar automatic tele converter, will these work as well?

Should I get a UV filter for the K-x lens, I have them on all of my other lense.

Future Shop sells covers for the screen, is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance

09-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The older lenses were bigger and didn't cover as large zoom ranges. They'll work fine on your k-x- see our lens database and articles section for details. Your converters will ok as well.

I'd suggest you don't get a UV filter, as cheap ones worsen your image- there's also an article about that.

Screen protectors are nice, but I've never had a need for them.
09-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you're misinterpreting the aperture info on the lens. When a zoom lens says f/3.5-5.6, it doesn't mean that it is limited to apertures in that range. Those numbers refer only to the *maximum* aperture of the lens, but two numbers are given because the maximum aperture depends on what focal length you are zoomed to. So the kit lens has a maximum aperture of f/3.5 at 18mm, and a maximum aperture f/5.6 at 55mm, but either way, the *minimum* aperture is something like f/22 or smaller. This is no different, BTW, from zoom lenses made for film.
09-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arrondee Quote
I have had a Pentax Me for over 25 years and now, after a couple of point-and-shoots I am about to purchase a K-x ( $600 Canadian at Future Shop).
I have a couple of ( dumb) questions.
Why does the kit lens have such a small aperture range compared to my old ones for the ME? All dslr cameras seem to be the same for apertures.

I have read that my old 28 and 135mm Pentax lenses will work with the K-x in manual mode, but I also have a Panagor auto macro converter and a Vivitar automatic tele converter, will these work as well?

Should I get a UV filter for the K-x lens, I have them on all of my other lense.

Future Shop sells covers for the screen, is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance
You can do better than Future Shop, I bought one for my niece last month from here: BLACK PENTAX K-x 12MP DSLR CAMERA w/18-55 LENS KIT NEW! on eBay.ca (item 230528350514 end time 29-Sep-10 18:40:13 EDT)

Sorry here is the seller I bought from: http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-PENTAX-K-x-12MP-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA-w-18-55-LENS-KIT-/...item1e5e73fe65

AS for screen protectors, your nose will be rubbing against it constantly leaving oily smudges and something might scratch the screen. Minor scratches don't interfere when viewing images but anything major is distracting. I think it's worthwhile to protect the screen while you can.

Thanks,

Last edited by excanonfd; 09-19-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: worng seller's link
09-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here.
You can also protect your screen (if you're that way inclined) with a simple adhesive clear PVC cover, so as not to add any thickness to the back of the camera and not have to worry about squahsing your face onto the screen just to be able to see through the viewfinder.

The O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier adds slightly more length to the viewfinder and may separate your face a little from the camera if that becomes an issue.