Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
May I also suggest using a monopod? They help me get that little bit of extra stability and I don't feel bad about using the cheap ones as light walking sticks!

09-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dkl6583 Quote
May I also suggest using a monopod? They help me get that little bit of extra stability and I don't feel bad about using the cheap ones as light walking sticks!
I'll second this. My cheap monopod sees more action than my tripod by far due to it being so much more portable when shooting football (Soccer for you American folks)...

I also sometimes use the 'left hand on/behind right shoulder and rest camera on left elbow' move to steady a handheld shot.
09-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mhokie Quote
I recently bought a new K-X with the 300mm lens to take pictures of our boys playing sports. The football pictures I've taken are outstanding (outside with a ton of light). The Hockey shots are real grainy. Any idea for where the best settings would be - other than buying a telephoto super lens?

Attachment 71076

Mark
I am in about the same place as you it seems. I have a new K-X I am learning to use. I am trying to photograph my kids doing sports.

Here is one I got, that I am pleased with:

Volleyball900by600.JPG

This was done with the 55-300 lens at 55mm, 1/200, f4, and 3200 iso. It is a compression of the full frame taken in the best jpg mode.

As pleased as I am with this picture (very), I think your picture looks better than mine.

Aside from buying a $1,000+ lens, I wonder how can I (we) make better pictures?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #19

Original Poster
I was at my sons football game last night and used my monopod for the 1st time - great shots!!! However, it was outdoors and sunny - perfect weather. We have hockey again on friday and I think I'll try the 800 ISO settings, fast shutter speed, monopod, and live the the light for the 300mm lens. Aside from dumping $1000+ on a better lens, that's about all I can come up with. From some of the other posts, I hope software will be able to "clean up" the pictures!!!

Good luck to you!!!

09-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mhokie Quote

I'll try reducing the ISO to 800. I don't understand the shutter speed. Why would I want it slower? If it's quicker, doesn't it capture the shot without blur? Again I'm a novice and learning as I go. I love this camera - it beats the old fuji we had.
Pick up and read Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure"
09-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You want to think about using Exposure Value Compensation as well. The light reflecting off the ice in most of your shots will leave you with underexposed subjects. Find a solution that should give consistent results and help you a little by increasing your EV just a little. Or try metering with less ice in the frame and then recompose.
The only time I have shot recreational league hockey I was just experimenting myself. I was watching a few friends (and sometimes opposition) so I was allowing many shots from the bench even.
I was using my K10 and DA50-200 and eventually a much older Tamron 100-300. Even at 1600 iso, many of my shots were either wide open or one stop down and 1/90th maximum. A little too slow for some instances.
I want to do some more with my K-7 and Sigma 28-300 soon.

09-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #22
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
Originally posted by hcc
Adam showed a nice trick with the K-7 by forcing the Max ISO to a lower value (ISO 800?) and forcing the High ISO correction. The results with a K-7 were excellent even in deem light.

Hi hcc, do you have a link to this? Sounds very interesting and I can't find it!
The thread was:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html

Happy reading..
09-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Thanks!