Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #1

just got my bellows, how do i get it running?

i just got my bellows in today, and when i put it on the camera, the camera dosent respond and has a blank F, is there a setting i need to change on the camera?

if i look down the site everything is black

its a pentax k200d

09-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mantis, it has a blank f because the camera cannot read the aperture setting of the bellows. There are no contacts on the bellows to tell the camera what is going on. There are innumerable tutorials on the webs and especially in this forum which explains how to use old manual lenses. Treat the bellows as one of those.

When you say 'site' I assume you mean the viewfinder. Put a lens on the end of the bellows (something like an old 50mm manual lens will be fine) and adjust the focus manually.

good luck.
09-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the quick reply, i do have a lens on the end, its my 90mm tamron macro lens, and i cant adjust any focus for some reason, i understand that i need to manualy do everything with a bellows, but it just looks like the camera craps itself as soon as the bellows is on. i cant put the flash up, i cant change any of the dials (the auto pic, or macro setting, or manual exposure etc) the only thing that seems to work is getting ito the menus, other than that the F just flashes on the top screen and in the view finder :S
09-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

If I remember correctly, you have a k200d. You need to set custom menu function 23 to 'permitted'. You will then be able to use lenses (and bellows) which don't have an aperture ring.

Which part of Melbourne are you in? It may be easier to show you some of this stuff.

Wayne

09-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
u were right, there was a setting, just having a play, i dont know how your supposed to get bug shots with this, because the camera has to have the shutter open for ages before getting any decent light in, good luck shooting moving targets
09-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of reality! Bellows eat light. Tubes eat light. That's why we use flashes and reflectors and tripods, and shoot carefully-placed cold or dead bugs, and curse a lot.

The cold reality emerges in equations. M= (TE-FL) / FL where M is magnification, TE is total extension, and FL is focal length. Your 90mm Tamron has FL=90 and TE=180 when it's cranked out all the way, so M= (180-90)/90= 1, or 1:1. If your Tamron is on a bellows that's extended another 90mm, then M= (270-90)/90= 2, or 2:1.

[A note on extension: A camera lens focused to infinity has TE=FL, because of the length of its body. An enlarger lens has TE=0 -- its extension depends solely on bellows or tubes.]

We'll plug magnification into the next equation. EA= NA*(M+1) where EA is effective aperture, NA is nominal aperture (the lens setting), and M is magnification. Suppose your Tamron is cranked out to 2:1 magnification (see above). If the aperture is set to f/5.6, then EA= 5.6*(2+1)= 16.8, almost f/17. Yes, 2:1 magnification means you lose over 3 f-stops of light, so your shutter must be 8 times slower than if you were focused to infinity.

I like using long lenses on bellows+tubes. But only in broad daylight.
09-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Do not forget that when using a bellows or extension tube on a normal lens (i.e. lens that mounts to the camera) the extension of the bellows limits maximum focus distance severely.

You probably have a working distance, using a 90mm lens, in the order of 8-15 inches.

You will need to move the camera towards / away from the subject to get rough focus then use either the focusing collar or the bellows rack and pinion to achieve close focus.

A really good bellows will have a slide or rack and pinion on the tripod mount to permit this

if youo look at my bellows below:

the center lock on the lower rail is to permit the tripod mount to slide along the focusing rails between the lens mount and the camera mount.

My bellows is somewhat unique in that all 3 points, i.e. camera mount, lens mount and tripod mount can move. Focusing is a separate rail with a rack and pinion under the lens and the knob is on the other side of the bellows.

Note this is a Miranda Bellows that was intended for a 135mm lens, I modified it and added a K mount rear adaptor, and the front, which is a set of miranda extension tubes, has a T mount to miranda thread (M44) adaptor. I have presently a 135mm enlarging lens with a T mount base attached. I also have an M42 T-mount ring so I can attach any M42 screw mount to this as well.
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for the great replies guys.

my bellows has a slide and tripod mount which is handy thank god, and ive learnt that i do need some decent light unless im using flashes and diffusers.

even with all the above, its gonna be tuff getting some flying shots of bugs haha, it amazes me how some people can do it, especially since everything is manual.

09-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
im looking at ring lights, and i found this

Macro Ring Flash LED Light Canon Sony Niko?n Pentax SLR - eBay, Lenses, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 29-Sep-10 14:50:27 AEST)

though it dosent say it supports my 90mm tamron lens, i dont understand, do they mean the lens length of the glass size?
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
never mind, found it