Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by SweetTomato Quote
I use Sel-focus and always focus at faces.
Maybe that's where you *wanted* the camera focus, but it's clear not what actually happened. You'd need to do more controlled tests to find not why not (eg, do you realize the focus "point" is actually much larger than the red dot in the viewfinder, and the camera might focus anywhere "near" that dot?). I take it, BTW, you weren't closer than minimum focus distance, that you weren't use AF-C mode, that you didn't inadvertantly touch the focus ring, etc.

09-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Sorry folks but the D90 clearly nailed the shots. I Would like to know if the Lenses are comparable however. It is actually quite possible to get a clear shot at 1/20sec. Saying that you can't do it is the same myth as someone who said you can't hand hold a 500mm mirror lens (in another thread). Now if you're talking about 2 seconds or even half a second, I can agree.

The kit lens, especially the 18-55 is weak wide open but you do appear to be front focusing a bit on the k7.

The D90 shot with 18-105mm kit len.
If can ensure that I properly point the focus-point in the faces, use manual-focus, carefully check that, and not only one time. I take many photo, used tripod also. But, almost all time the same problem happens.
09-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,696
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Sorry folks but the D90 clearly nailed the shots. :
Sorry Jeff, but I think the photog shooting with the D90 nailed the shot
OP, I will assert to you that it is vital to know how focusing works, and eliminate user error before deciding it is the camera's fault. If you can be sure the lens is front focusing or the camera is somehow dysfunctional, then there are simple steps to take: one is to use AF adjustment (if not severe), or return the lens (if it is), and the other is to return the camera, respectively.

Everything else will be as a result of the user.
As you can see on the forum there are many sharp and brilliant shots captured with the humble kit lenses, so you can expect to get sharp results yourself if you're kit is good and you're using correct technique.
09-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by SweetTomato Quote
The D90 shot with 18-105mm kit len.
If can ensure that I properly point the focus-point in the faces, use manual-focus, carefully check that, and not only one time. I take many photo, used tripod also. But, almost all time the same problem happens.
When you Manual focus, are you seeing a sharp image in the Viewfinder before you snap the photo? I'll concede that you know how to operate a camera (never really questioned it to begin with). See ASH's response for what I would check/do next. Even if not the sharpest lens available, you should be able to get at least a Decent shot from the K7 Kit lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sorry Jeff, but I think the photog shooting with the D90 nailed the shot
Ok, Ash, you got me on a technicality. Won't be the first or last time it happens I suppose .



09-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
Junior Member
Dan1005's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 46
Just as a quick idea, and something I know has caught a few people out over the years, check that the adjuster on the top of the viewfinder is correctly set for your eye. Ive known people to shoot for a while questioning the camera, forgetting to even check that slider and make sure its right to their eye...

Just a thought..
09-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Ken T's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 537
Ok. you may want to do this then see what happen .

- Select Central Focus Point.
- AF-S.
- Len is not at its extreme wide or tele (ie. not at 18mm or 55mm, 50mm or 200mm).
- SR on if handhold, SR off if using tripod .
- Take similar picture with similar lighting at speed of 1/160" or faster .
- Focus on the eye and do not reframe, and take the picture .

Then check and see if you still have blurry image .

Last edited by Ken T; 09-22-2010 at 03:55 AM.
09-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,439
Hate to say it, but if this is happening with manual focus the camera almost cannot be at fault.
The image shows no/little signs of motion blur so the user is almost certainly not focusing properly.
If things look fine to you, then I would have to agree with checking the diopter adjustment in this case.

The Laws of Physics do not change due to the Pentax label on the box. i.e. focusing principles do not change.
Sadly at this point, if you're certain YOU are doing EVERYTHING right, then your equipment is broken. (i.e. the sensor could be way out of alignment)

Do your lab tests. Also try auto focus.
Get us an image with full EXIF data (or dump it for us yourself) so we can examine what the camera has to say.
Until you can determine how the camera behaves under unchanged conditions, you really cannot begin to debug the problem.

I trust you know what you're doing, and I trust you're telling us the truth but we really cannot help much more from the info given.

Last edited by amoringello; 09-21-2010 at 02:57 AM.
09-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #23
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Get us an image with full EXIF data (or dump it for us yourself) so we can examine what the camera has to say.
Until you can determine how the camera behaves under unchanged conditions, you really cannot begin to debug the problem.

I trust you know what you're doing, and I trust you're telling us the truth but we really cannot help much more from the info given.
All those images have full EXIF, only resized.
Here is original images:

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3810/imgp1205q.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5334/imgp1035o.jpg

09-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,696
OP, you continue to assume your equipment is at fault without having shown here that you've addressed any of the issues that are more likely the culprits of your demise. I suggest you go ahead and correctly use your equipment, take the exemplary photos, then post your results with EXIF intact to make things more clear as to what really is at fault.
09-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 285
Try using the flash, point and shoot style see if it's any better.
09-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Deiberson's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
sometimes i experience the same results with my photographs. however, i realize that its pilot error. can someone tell me what the ideal way to take the first photograph should be?
just looking for ideas....on both the shutter speed (if hand held) and the type and location of the focus that seems to be the issue.
thanks
09-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #27
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Hate to say it, but if this is happening with manual focus the camera almost cannot be at fault.
The image shows no/little signs of motion blur so the user is almost certainly not focusing properly.
If things look fine to you, then I would have to agree with checking the diopter adjustment in this case.

The Laws of Physics do not change due to the Pentax label on the box. i.e. focusing principles do not change.
Sadly at this point, if you're certain YOU are doing EVERYTHING right, then your equipment is broken. (i.e. the sensor could be way out of alignment)

Do your lab tests. Also try auto focus.
Get us an image with full EXIF data (or dump it for us yourself) so we can examine what the camera has to say.
Until you can determine how the camera behaves under unchanged conditions, you really cannot begin to debug the problem.

I trust you know what you're doing, and I trust you're telling us the truth but we really cannot help much more from the info given.
Actually it Can be the Cameras fault (even if just in part) if MF is off. The focusing screen could need to be calibrated (shimmed) differently. That still wouldn't affect AF however, which could need an overall calibration itself.

09-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #28
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Original Poster
Today I take some photo, adjust AF before shooting each of them. All photo: M mode, 1/30s handhold with SR ON, f5.6, 55mm, ISO640, manual focus - point at right eye. For some values of AF Correction(custom menu option #37 and set "AF Correction" to ON and then set "Apply All"):

-10: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6121/46419105.jpg
-6: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/205/11913653.jpg
-2: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9291/28862396.jpg
0: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/29/35817142.jpg
2: http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4483/97601868.jpg
6: http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9289/51602938.jpg
10: http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7122/14204261.jpg

Because I shot handhold, I'm not sure about the accuracy of this test. I will shoot again using tripod...
09-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,935
QuoteOriginally posted by SweetTomato Quote
Today I take some photo, adjust AF before shot each of them. All photo: M mode, 1/30s handhold with SR ON, f5.6, 55mm, ISO640, manual focus - point at right eye. For some values of AF Correction(custom menu option #37 and set "AF Correction" to ON and then set "Apply All"):

-10: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6121/46419105.jpg
-6: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/205/11913653.jpg
-2: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9291/28862396.jpg
0: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/29/35817142.jpg
2: http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4483/97601868.jpg
6: http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9289/51602938.jpg
10: http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7122/14204261.jpg

Because I shot handhold, I'm not sure about the accuracy of this test. I will shoot again using tripod...
Focus adjustment only effects the focus in autofocus mode. In manual focus, it focuses where you tell it to. To test focus micro-adjust, you would need to be on a tripod.
09-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #30
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Focus adjustment only effects the focus in autofocus mode. In manual focus, it focuses where you tell it to. To test focus micro-adjust, you would need to be on a tripod.
Oh, I'm mistaken. Not "manual focus", but "Auto focus at selected point"(SEL-mode).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, image, k-7, lens, pentax help, photo, photography, quality
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLURRED PICTURES - SR realization from Pentax? ogl Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 08-26-2010 10:10 AM
Nature Blurred Color ajuett Post Your Photos! 2 05-08-2010 11:37 AM
how were all the other candles blurred in this shot? WMBP Photographic Technique 36 01-29-2010 02:46 PM
Black & White Blurred Forest Nitrok Post Your Photos! 15 01-18-2010 06:05 AM
blurred scenes on autofocus pop Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 07-25-2009 02:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top