Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Sorry folks but the D90 clearly nailed the shots.
You're right. The D90 provided better results in a bright, sidelit situation compared to the overcast, backlit situation the Pentax was given. The blurring in the first pic looks like mostly camera movement to me. The second pic is better, but it's still backlit on an overcast day. I wonder if a lens hood was being used. That could have a huge effect on apparent sharpness. Also, as others have said, 1/20th of a second..handheld...is NO way to judge the sharpness of a camera/lens. It's possible that there may be some focusing issues going on, but until the conditions are a little more controlled, we can't really say for sure.

09-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

It's either a FF or BF issue or you have a dud lens.

I don't think it's choosing the wrong subject as it's happening too often. If it is BF or FF it's Way, way off.
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #33

SweetTomato, how about cleaning the contacts on your lens and camera? Try this, please.
09-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thirteen Quote
SweetTomato, how about cleaning the contacts on your lens and camera? Try this, please.
I just bought a brand-new camera and lens. All clear!

09-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SweetTomato Quote
All those images have full EXIF, only resized.
Here is original images:
Actualluy most of the exif of the original posted photo was stripped or was corrupted and did not contain much helpful information.

These do show that SR was stabilized. Focus was upper left and top.
Don't know what was in the upper left AND top, seems a bit out of place from the subject's head... but the AF areas are not points they are larger areas. They may be technically accurate, but regardless they apparently did not do their job.

Anyway, glad to hear your problem are over.
09-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Actualluy most of the exif of the original posted photo was stripped or was corrupted and did not contain much helpful information.

These do show that SR was stabilized. Focus was upper left and top.
Don't know what was in the upper left AND top, seems a bit out of place from the subject's head... but the AF areas are not points they are larger areas. They may be technically accurate, but regardless they apparently did not do their job.

Anyway, glad to hear your problem are over.
I think he's telling Thirteen that his camera and lens are brand new and the contacts should be clean. I may be way off though.

QuoteOriginally posted by SweetTomato Quote
I just bought a brand-new camera and lens. All clear!
SweetTomato, you really should try AF-S Center focus rather than Select with the lens stopped down and in the mid ranges as Ken T suggested in post #21.
09-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #37
Pentaxian

ARGH!! Yeah. Shutter count under 1500. Duh!
Thanks. And sorry for the duff misunderstanding!!

Sadly, even new stuff is no guarantee to its ability to work.
I myself am an apparent black hole of electronic suckage. Nearly everything I buy has had to been returned, replaced or repaired within a few days of purchase. All else is returned well before its normal expected failure date. Whether I am just unlucky or something physically conflicting with my being, or just poor QA, I do not know but its pretty damned annoying. :-)

Anyway just as a comment, in addition to the one above.... Choose a selected focus point. Do not trust Auto.
The original photos were taken with Auto focus selection.
With Auto, you have no idea where the camera will focus, and with a slight movement (breathing), the camera may change its mind before you click the shutter. Know what you're doing and Know what your equipment is doing.

Although earlier I thought I recall you mentioning using Manual Focus (I'll have to go back and check on that)? Is that true? If so, none of the auto focus functionality applies, i.e.. where it is selected, nor FF/BF issues. You are in control. Either your equipment is broken or you are not applying the proper focus. (Although I'm not sure why the camera would say AF-S was on if you were using manual focus.)

Again it all comes down to doing you're baseline or lab testing to KNOW what is happening at every step in your process.

Last edited by amoringello; 09-22-2010 at 03:28 AM.
09-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Camera EXIF shows "AFPointSelected: Auto".

Re-check the dials and make sure the thing is actually in the right spot. Mine have been known to stop just shy (although it clicks) in place and I had to go back and fourth once or twice. (not often but I've has it happen. maybe your's is worse??)

To verify, move the camera to bring other subjects into view and make sure the focus selection does not change. Usually the closest large item will be auto-seleceted.

It certainly sounds like you're doing most everything right -- or good enough.

09-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #39
Forum Member

i think the fault lies in a bad lens. look at the grass in the first two shots. it looks way too hazy. the oof areas in my shots with this lens (the non wr version, actually) look much better.

@SweetTomato: you bought the camera new, so i would suggest returning/trying out a new lens.