Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In practice, I just can't see how the in-body stabilization would be inadequate for any beginner, even if there were an advantage to long stabilized-lenses for some rarefied applications. Since they updated the firmware for my K20d, (when was that, a year or two ago?) all I've had to worry about is *subject motion*... You should find in-body SR more than sufficient, especially as higher-ISO performance improves.

09-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
On another note, IS sytems have been known to fail. The IS on my Canon 17-55 lens is particularly known to have a high failure rate. I had to send my copy in because the autofocus mechanism died on me (luckily under warranty). A lot of people believe that having an IS mechanism installed in the smaller lenses causes problems and failures, definitely a case for SR in body.
09-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
In practice, I just can't see how the in-body stabilization would be inadequate for any beginner, even if there were an advantage to long stabilized-lenses for some rarefied applications. Since they updated the firmware for my K20d, (when was that, a year or two ago?) all I've had to worry about is *subject motion*... You should find in-body SR more than sufficient, especially as higher-ISO performance improves.
This is a great point. Beginners or even amateurs like myself can't always afford the IS premium. With pentax you can get the benefits of SR without the price premium. If Pentax can get their autofocus worked out (K-5 is looking good) I may switch completely. As it is I'm currently considering running dual systems so I can shoot with more affordable primes (SR is just a bonus)