Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

In-Body SR vs. In-Lens SR Pros and Cons?

When I was looking to jump into DLSRs, one of the really huge things that attracted me to buy my K-x (and well, jump into the Pentax family) is the in-body SR feature.

That being said, are there any cons to having it in the body, as opposed to the lens? I figure that Canon/Nikon have a vast amount of resources available and they've gone and put it in their lenses instead. Do you think this was purely a business strategy to sell lenses at higher margins? Or are there actual technical benefits of an in-lens SR system vs. an in-body SR system?

Like, is there any kind of trade-off like this: Pentax has in-body SR, so all their lenses can benefit, but its SR isn't as effective as an in-lens SR system?

Thanks!

09-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I also have a K-x as my first DSLR and think this is a great question for those who have used canikon systems...
Is in-body shake reduction as effective as as in-lens SR???
09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Is in-body shake reduction as effective as as in-lens SR???
All I can say is that is far more effective when it comes to the vast majority of Nikon lenses that lack vibration reduction.

I really like lightweight, compact prime lenses. There are not a lot of such lenses with built-in vibration reduction. I am also a big fan of the Voigtlander APO-Lanthars. These superb lenses are stabilized on my Pentax, but not my Nikon. I find that with a bit of practice the Pentax SR is very effective. Its universality is a HUGE advantage for Pentax.

Dan
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uchinakuri Quote
I figure that Canon/Nikon have a vast amount of resources available and they've gone and put it in their lenses instead.
Thanks!
No quite, Canon and Nikon have implemented image stablization in the Lens first in the film camera and then in digital camera. Pentax and Sony came late to the game in the digital camera, but that also allow them to have the option to put that feature in the sensor. Canon and Nikon can not change that strategy as they are already too much into that technology - in a sense a business decision not to implement in the sensor, not to sabotage their high end high margin VR/IS lens.

09-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon and Nikon did it with the lens because that was the only viable option with the film cameras they developed the system for. I'm sure they are wishing they hadn't gone down that road now, but it's too late to change. But for long focal lengths, lens stabilization *is* a bit more effective.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.
09-20-2010, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The two systems are essentially the same in effectiveness.

Lens Based

Pros:
The stabilization is fit exactly to the lens
You can see the stabilization in effect through the viewfinder

Cons
The lens is a lot heavier
The lens is a lot more expensive.
It's not necessarily any better.

Sensor based

Pros
Works with all lenses
Just as effective as lens based stabilization

Cons
Can't see the effect through the viewfinder.

I am a big fan of body-based stabilization.
09-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote

Lens Based

Pros:

Cons

Sensor based

Pros
Works with all lenses

Cons

Shooting both Nikon and Pentax, I'd agree with all of this.

One thing I wonder about is long-term durability. We usually buy lenses thinking they will last 20+ years and bodies maybe 5 years or less. So with the added mechanism and floating element, will these lenses last as long as a lens that has less moving parts (where all the lens elements are fixed in the barrel).

Also don't forget that there are very few if any stabilized lenses under 100mm. With Pentax, you have everything stabalized.

09-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

In-body SR means it's there. Always. For all lenses. Even the old. And the soviet knock-offs that you find by $5.

That's a big pro for me.

If you have doubts about it's effectiveness, turn it off from the menu and go out shooting at night. Count how many keepers you got. Marvel at a world of CaNikon with cheap lenses without IS, then turn SR again on your K-x and enjoy.
09-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How much can K-7 and K-5 correct more than K-x and K-r?
- FYI: K-x and K-r only shift in two directions, K-7 and K-5 will also rotate the sensor

Guess this is close to same as another thread I started (probably one can be closed)...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/115196-shake-reduc...n-k-7-k-r.html
09-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

And how about impact on Video?
- Is it OK to do in-body stabilization during recording video?
09-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
And how about impact on Video?
- Is it OK to do in-body stabilization during recording video?
It's a bit noisy unless you are using an external microphone.
09-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Lens Based

Cons
Try any new Sigma lens with OS and your opinion will change. For example 17-70 f/2.8-4 HSM OS lens is cheaper than DA 17-70 SDM, not really heavier and it's OS is clearly better than in-body SR. All owners of OS lenses I know personally turned off SR on their K-7 / K-x and use the superior OS of the lens.
09-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Lens Based

Pros:

Cons

Sensor based

Pros
Works with all lenses

Cons

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Shooting both Nikon and Pentax, I'd agree with all of this.

One thing I wonder about is long-term durability. We usually buy lenses thinking they will last 20+ years and bodies maybe 5 years or less. So with the added mechanism and floating element, will these lenses last as long as a lens that has less moving parts (where all the lens elements are fixed in the barrel).

Also don't forget that there are very few if any stabilized lenses under 100mm. With Pentax, you have everything stabalized.

While I agree with your assessment and validation, 99% of the time when you go to the camera shop and ask the sales person's suggestion on which camera to pick, the words usually go around like this: "in-lens based stabilization" is more effective and you are better off getting those than the other kind. That's why I never buy camera stuff from the local shop.
09-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Biggest Pro for in camera SR

I don't have to replace any of my 30+ lenses to use it

At the end of the day that is a big issue

As for perhaps gaining a stop in speed that is much more technique than technology. I had previously posted a 100% crop of a heron shot using an SMC300F4 with 1.7X AFTC (510 mm equivalent ) or considering the crop factor for ASP-C 750mm on full frame at 1/40. That is more than 4 stops with pentax's SR. I don't believe anyone with a 500mm lens is willing to post hand held at 1/20.
09-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Try any new Sigma lens with OS and your opinion will change. For example 17-70 f/2.8-4 HSM OS lens is cheaper than DA 17-70 SDM, not really heavier and it's OS is clearly better than in-body SR. All owners of OS lenses I know personally turned off SR on their K-7 / K-x and use the superior OS of the lens.
Yeah it does depend on the lens, the nikon lenses I used with vr I couldn't see much advantage over Pentax SR (but they were 100mm or shorter).. But the Canon 70-200/4 IS has fantastic stabilization, much better than SR for sure.. The 300/f4 IS also beats my old F*300 using SR, but it isn't as good as the 70-200 IMO.. Its all about consistancy...