Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maternity Pictures

So my friend & his girlfriend are having a baby in a few weeks. I've volunteered my time to do a few maternity pics for them. They both know I've never done this before, and there is not going to be any cost to them, just doing for practice, so there are no expectations. I've been looking around for ideas for shots, so that's not really a problem. Mostly wondering if it's advisable to bring my off camera flash with umbrella, or is a more natural light better for this kind of picture? Also, should I use my sharpest lens, or would it be better to use something a little softer, or use the sharp lens, and do some softening in PP? (I'm thinking of primarily using my 100mm Tak, as I'm most comfortable with it.) Planning on doing it at their place, but also want to do something outside. (they live near a park)

Thanks in advance for any comments / tips.

09-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in a similar situation, except my wife is the one that is pregnant. You seem a little more experienced than I am so I may not have much advice. I did notice that the natural light looked much better on her skin than the flash. Her belly hasn't seen the sun much and the contrast between it and her arms and face with the flash was very substantial. The pictures we did outdoors looked a lot better. This may be fixed easily in PP but the natural light seemed to work a lot better. Also, if she normally wears make-up have her go easy on it too. Again, I am no portrait photographer this is just what I noticed.
09-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've done 2 and had a mix of indoor/outdoor. I used a white/black sheet, 2 flashes and umbrella. For the white background, I had one flash behind the sheet blowing it out to white. Move the subject away from it and light them seperately. For black, I used a softbox-umbrella to control the spill a bit more. Or bare flash for rim light. Feel free to steal some ideas.

**Katie** - Shot at about 7 months, gave birth to Tyler on the Sept 17th!

**Sara** - Shot at about 6 months, now at 7.5 months and wants some more shots because she's bigger

09-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
i've done 2 and had a mix of indoor/outdoor. I used a white/black sheet, 2 flashes and umbrella. For the white background, i had one flash behind the sheet blowing it out to white. Move the subject away from it and light them seperately. For black, i used a softbox-umbrella to control the spill a bit more. Or bare flash for rim light. Feel free to steal some ideas.

**katie** - shot at about 7 months, gave birth to tyler on the sept 17th!

**sara** - shot at about 6 months, now at 7.5 months and wants some more shots because she's bigger

gorgeous! I really love your stuff!

09-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Ladies with bumps scare the hell out of me, I'm always dashing off for clean towels and loads of boiling water.

Well that's what all the men were sent to do, in the movies.

Good luck with this project, post a few of the results.