Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #16

K100D SD Card??

Hi
Just need to know what form of SD cards can be used once the firmware on my K100D has been installed? I'm looking to buy a Lexar 64GB SDXC card, or if anybody can tell me what the best 64GB card would be to purchase.

10-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sawfiler1 Quote
Hi
Just need to know what form of SD cards can be used once the firmware on my K100D has been installed? I'm looking to buy a Lexar 64GB SDXC card, or if anybody can tell me what the best 64GB card would be to purchase.
I don't believe that there is any firmware update that will enable a K100D to use SDXC cards. Nor would I expect such an update to be released.

In other words, don't waste your money on a 64GB card. With the firmware update that IS available for the K100D, the maximum size card is 32GB.

Why do you think you need a 64GB card? Your K100D, like my K10D, doesn't do video. On my camera, shooting RAW+JPEG at the highest resolution and quality, I could fit 4,096 images on a 64GB card. My camera accepts SDHC cards, so I could go as large as 32GB, but the biggest I have is 4GB. That is far bigger than I ever fill in a single shoot. Cards do go bad occasionally, and they can be lost or stolen. I'd rather not lose several thousand images due to one failed card.

Of course, your needs and shooting techniques could be very different than mine. Its your choice, but I don't believe that 64GB is a choice for you.
10-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #18

Hi
Thanks so much for all the info and will take your advice on the SD card
03-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #19

I'm late to this post, but am trying to update the program on my camera. I have a Pentax K100D and have been trying to follow the directions above for installing and updating Firmware. I currently have version 1.00, and have formatted and copied the required file onto a SanDisk 4GB memory card. The card is now inserted into my camera. However, whenever I turn on my camera while pressing the Menu button I don't get anything saying "Loading" or "Updating". Mine simply tells says: "Ver: 1.00". Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 4Gb card is SDHC and probably incompatible with the camera until the firmware is upgraded. You need to find a smaller card. I think if you have a 2Gb card you can format it in Windows to the file system used for SD cards, so it'll work for the firmware upgrade. I'm not sure and can't test it myself.
04-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #21

Hi,

I've just inherited a K100d. I used to have a Canon D10 (the waterproof compact), untill I lost it!.

Thanks for the guidance on updating the firmware. I have a 16gb SDHC card from the Canon, so it is good to be able to make use of it.

All the best, Andrew
04-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #22

clever fix for 3 digit counter on K100D

cpackman, I saw your question.
With 8GB in, to get a count of shots, press the replay arrow. Then toggle left and right to see the first and last image named number.

I was getting about 337 images per 1GB card, until I did a firmware upgrade today. I took Pentax's advice to purchase an 8GB card.
PENTAX K100D and SDHC Memory Cards | Pentax Support
I will be shooting 5GB of shots before they will start to count down on the top LCD. So I will use the replay to count

09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I just want to say thanks for having this thread. I was ripping my hair out trying to figure out why my new 8gb SD card was not working. A quick search on the net came up with this thread and it helped me right away. The process up updating my K100D to the 1.02 Firmware was quick and easy. Now my new SD card works and I can continue to take pictures. Thankfully I tried the card before going on this road trip tomorrow. I would have been more upset trying to figure out while on the road. Now I am in the clear and do not have to worry about it.

Thanks again to all involved in making the thread and posting the answers. You all are a great help in this community.
04-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #24

Not starting the update

Read the entire thread and still cannot update. Followed the instructions and all goes great until I get to "Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button." I just get the "vers 1.00". I have a 1Gb SD Extreme III card, so I though it was that. I have tried another SD card, a 8Gb Ultra card. Still the upgrade does not start.

The reason for doing this upgrade is due to the "Battery depleted" being displayed even with new Duracell's and fully charged rechargeable's. Irrespective of this error, I would like the firmware upgrade to complete.

ANY help will be appreciated. Thanks a million!
04-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd use the 1Gb card, formatted in the camera. Then I'd check this step:

QuoteQuote:
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc156b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
The camera is not that smart in firmware upgrade mode so it really needs the file in the top-level directory, not a subfolder like \DCIM\\100PENTX. And it needs to be unzipped into a BIN file.
04-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DuncanSD Quote
Read the entire thread and still cannot update. Followed the instructions and all goes great until I get to "Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button." I just get the "vers 1.00". I have a 1Gb SD Extreme III card, so I though it was that. I have tried another SD card, a 8Gb Ultra card. Still the upgrade does not start.

The reason for doing this upgrade is due to the "Battery depleted" being displayed even with new Duracell's and fully charged rechargeable's. Irrespective of this error, I would like the firmware upgrade to complete.

ANY help will be appreciated. Thanks a million!
Before you go any further, put some Energizer Ultimate lithium's in that camera and see how it behaves.
04-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I'd use the 1Gb card, formatted in the camera. Then I'd check this step:

The camera is not that smart in firmware upgrade mode so it really needs the file in the top-level directory, not a subfolder like \DCIM\\100PENTX. And it needs to be unzipped into a BIN file.
Hi Just1MoreDave. I followed the instructions exactly, placing the BIN file in the root directory and then switched on whilst pressing the "Menu" button. It just does not work.
04-22-2014, 04:44 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Before you go any further, put some Energizer Ultimate lithium's in that camera and see how it behaves.
Hi Ex Finn. Tried the Engergizer Ultimate, unfortunately the same is happening. Looks like I will have to take it in for repairs.
04-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DuncanSD Quote
Hi Ex Finn. Tried the Engergizer Ultimate, unfortunately the same is happening. Looks like I will have to take it in for repairs.
Seems to be the next step.
07-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #30

Ok, having a hard time with this seemingly simple operation. Maybe it's lack of sleep or caffeine but I don't know what the heck the root directory is or how to save to it. I've done everything else along with trying to find it. Every time I check the contents of the card the .bin file is there but I don't get the load menu on the camera, just a Memory Card Error message. Using 512mb along 2,4 and 8 gb cards. Help?!