Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yeah root directory is one of those obscure terms we are supposed to intuit
Just stick the .bin file in the first screen when opening the card on your pc. Not in a folder at all.
only the 512 and 2GB cards will work until firmware updated

07-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #32

Now I'm annoyed with myself. Took all of three minutes to get this done with your help, Transit. So thank you very much for "dumbing it down" for me.
07-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Glad it worked out, it is the arcane terms that need dumbing up
09-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #34

bprenzel

I need help on updating my K100d as well.
Have a new SDHC card that I am trying to format and it looks like the file is in it but when I put it into the camera and turn on while holding down the menu button ver 1.00 shows on my screen and then nothing happens.
What am i doing wrong? I have read and re read all of you posts.
thanks!

09-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bprenzel Quote
I need help on updating my K100d as well.
Have a new SDHC card that I am trying to format and it looks like the file is in it but when I put it into the camera and turn on while holding down the menu button ver 1.00 shows on my screen and then nothing happens.
What am i doing wrong? I have read and re read all of you posts.
thanks!
Nothing wrong.
The issue is the V1.0 firmware cannot read the card.
You need to download the updated firmware, stick it on a STANDARD SD card up to 2GB and update.
Then you can use your SDHC card
get it here Firmware Update Software for K100D | Software Downloads?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

make sure your batteries are charged as going flat during FW update can kill the camera

Last edited by Transit; 09-12-2014 at 10:15 PM.
09-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #36

Thank you for all your help.
I did use 1 GB card and it finally worked!
12-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #37

Just bought a gently used K100D. Had to update the firmware and found the above info very helpful in doing so.

12-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Nice
11-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #39

Hi Everyone,

I got as far as step 5, but step 6 didn't happen.

I am confused, the pentax guide says to use an sd card of at least 8gb, but this thread says you need to put the firmware update on a 2 gb card, however I need to update the firmware in order to use the 8gb card.

What is the object of the exercise - to update the firmware on the sd card or on the camera or both?

It says you have to put the bin file on the root directory of the sd card - how do I do that? Where is the route directory of the sd card?

I am going on holiday on Saturday, I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you
11-11-2015, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schtroumpf Quote
Hi Everyone,

I got as far as step 5, but step 6 didn't happen.

I am confused, the pentax guide says to use an sd card of at least 8gb, but this thread says you need to put the firmware update on a 2 gb card, however I need to update the firmware in order to use the 8gb card.

What is the object of the exercise - to update the firmware on the sd card or on the camera or both?

It says you have to put the bin file on the root directory of the sd card - how do I do that? Where is the route directory of the sd card?

I am going on holiday on Saturday, I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you
The instructions actually say 8 Mb, megabytes, not gigabytes. Anything smaller than 2 Gb should do, typically labeled just SD, not SDHC. Cards larger than 2 Gb will by default be formatted with a file system that the camera can't understand (yet). The firmware tells the camera how to use that file system so it can use the larger cards.

The root directory is just the topmost level of the directory structure. But depending on the card, your computer and computer setup, you may not see that level at all. A lot of operating systems will skip right to showing you picture files, not the directories. Tell us what operating system you're using to make the instructions shorter.
11-12-2015, 12:29 AM   #41

Thanks - I managed to put the file on my 2gb sd card.

In step 5, do I have to keep pressing the menu button? Or can I take my figure off the button after I have switched the camera on?

In step 6, the wording "now loading" does not appear on my screen. What am I doing wrong?

Now when I turn on my camera I can't take a picture at all.
11-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #42

Panic over! Although I put fully recharged batteries in my camera before I started, they ran down pretty quickly whilst I was trying to put the bin file onto my sd card. Strangely the indicator on the camera was not showing them as flat. Today when I put on a new set of batteries, step 6 worked and within a couple of minutes I could use my camera again. I'm a very happy lady, I would have been devastated if my camera hadn't worked on holiday.

Thanks
11-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #43
Banned

Being a new bee in photography, I find the information shared in this site to be very useful! Thanks
11-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schtroumpf Quote
Panic over! Although I put fully recharged batteries in my camera before I started, they ran down pretty quickly whilst I was trying to put the bin file onto my sd card. Strangely the indicator on the camera was not showing them as flat. Today when I put on a new set of batteries, step 6 worked and within a couple of minutes I could use my camera again. I'm a very happy lady, I would have been devastated if my camera hadn't worked on holiday.

Thanks
Phew lucky you.
the official term for what you have if they go flat during the process is 'a brick'

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 10:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by renault Quote
Being a new bee in photography, I find the information shared in this site to be very useful! Thanks
Great to get into it in these days of digital miracle and wonder
12-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Just another - Thank you! for this thread. I won a K100D recently that had v1.00 firmware. I finally dug up an old 2gb SD card that work work and the camera has been working fine. Then I found this thread and the v1.02 firmware upgrade and now I can use my old 8gb cards that are just sitting around! Thanks again!