Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #1

K-x with screwmount lenses or...?

I'm within days of pulling the trigger and finally getting my first DSLR...it's down to two choices.

For the same price, I can get a lightly used K20D with 18-55 ALII lens, or I can get a new K-x with the 18-55 kit lens, along with three M42 lenses from a Spotmatic...a Takumar 1:4 50mm macro, a Takumar 1:1.4 50mm, and a Tamron 80-210 zoom.

My head is telling me to go for the K-x and the extra lenses...but I can't seem to get away from the K20D. I can only go for one or the other...I don't have the funds to get the K20D and the screwmount lenses.

Of course, a third option is to wait until October, and see where the street prices lie for the K-x, K-r and K7.

Your thoughts?

09-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The high ISO in the K-x is the reason to put you over the top in that direction. But I wouldn't hold my breath for the price to drop in October.
09-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k20d is quite a bit different than the K-x, so it's a difficult choice. I think your main question should be whether not you'll be using the added external controls on the k20.

With K-7 prices bound to fall once the K-5 becomes readily available (I'm probably going to be selling mine for $650-700 in immaculate condition), it might be your best bet to just wait it out and get a K-7, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With m42s, Pros for the K20 would be:
- the dual wheels:
- In Av mode, you can set Iso to one wheel, or use OK+Front wheel.
- OK+Green button activate auto-iso in Av mode
- In M mode, you just have to press OK and move the front wheel to change it.
- the bigger viewfinder (but you HAVE to change the focusing screen for a LL-60 model - yep, that's a *istD focus screen!).

The Kx is a little more akward regarding ISO settings, you have to go into a menu, no hard control.

Pro for the Kx:
- better flash control (but cannot be used without some tricks with m42)
- better isos
- movie mode
- slightly better AF in my opinion, be it in low-light (less hunting) or in full day (faster).

09-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I'd go with the k-x & lenses.

I love my k-x, and while I sometimes wish I had some of the extra controls of the k20, I have no problem using the controls/shortcuts on my k-x. The camera itself performs amazingly in my opinion; especially in low light and high ISO conditions where the k20 fails to compete as adequately. Plus, you get some extra lenses to play with :] just make sure you have the adapter for those M42's
09-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I love my K20D but that KX+lenses package is almost irresistible.

Go for the Kx, then save up and get a K20D next time. Soon.