Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First paid photoshoot

Hi, I have been hired to take photos of every student of my school department. This is the first time I will shoot portraits of this kind. They want very simple photos with a blank white background. I need some advices about this.

I don't own an external flash so I will use my k-x popup flash. I'm thinking about using the DAL 18-55 because the shooting space is small (I have about 8 feet in front of the white background) . What do you think about this setup? What aperture value should I choose?

Thanks for helping me.

09-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

My two cents... Shoulder to head or waist head...? You going to use your 50mm or 90mm? Consider a low distortion lens or else never here the end of... "that doesn't look like me does it... did my nose grow?"
The pop up is a little harsh sometimes so a diffusion of some sort might be in order. Otherwise you might need to consider the old left and right with a behind the back light... 75 watt lamps and set the camera to tungsten 2800K?
09-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I'd have a little experience shooting portraits under my belt before I'd take a paid gig. However, that said you should try to practice some before having at it. I'd recommend some kind of a diffuser for your pop up flash like this:

LumiQuest Soft Screen Diffuser LQ051D1 - B&H Photo Video

I have one of these (and there are other types) and they do a fair job of softening the harsh light from the pop up flash. You should shoot practice shots with what ever set up you use. Keep your subject far enough away from the wall that no shadow appears - if possible. As the K-x has scene modes, you might try the Portrait setting first, then try Tv at say 1/125th and vary the ISO until you have a good depth of field. Can you add any light to the set up? It might help. With your lens selection, I'm not sure I'd want the kit lens and might try your best 50mm. A tripod might be a good idea too.

Really, if you have to do a lot of these, I'd practice there first to get the optimum set up.
09-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First of all, congratulations on your first paid gig!! That's huge!

Take my advice with a grain of salt, because I am an amateur, but I would ABSOLUTELY NOT use the pop-up flash (at least not without combining it with an off-camera strobe). Not knowing how much you are getting paid for this, I would advise you to spend the amount you would make in obtaining a cheap shoe mound strobe, shoot-through umbrella
(or reflector) and a trigger (cheap optical or radio - like the Cactus radio trigger). You can probably break even and end up expanding your toolkit. Solo direct on-camera flash almost always looks terrible. Read the strobist blog (Strobist) to get some basic ideas about how to work with off-camera, shoe-mount stobes in manual mode.

I say that solo pop-up flash almost always looks terrible - at least indoors. If you are able to do the shoot outdoors and use the pop-up flash to add some subtle front-fill light (in neg. flash compensation mode) to detract from any harsh shadows created by the sun (or even better - do it on a cloudy day), that might also work out for you.

I hope some other forum members can also provide some advice....

Cheers!

09-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Personally, I'd have a little experience shooting portraits under my belt before I'd take a paid gig.
Nah! You can do it!

You should shoot practice shots with what ever set up you use. Keep your subject far enough away from the wall that no shadow appears - if possible.
Yes, yes, yes - this is also VERY good advice. Even use yourself for a model if you have to (remote or timer mode), and practice a bunch until you get the feel for it.
09-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
My two cents... Shoulder to head or waist head...? You going to use your 50mm or 90mm? Consider a low distortion lens or else never here the end of... "that doesn't look like me does it... did my nose grow?"
I completely, but respectfully, disagree with this. The kit lens should be fine, especially if you use a middle focal length, like 35mm, where the distortion is lowest.

I know folks that shoot portraits and weddings with cheap lenses like this and make money at it too - not to worry.
09-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
The kit lens should be fine
Oh, I just checked out your profile and I see that you actually have some very nice glass. I would suggest the M 50mm f/1.7 or the Tammy 90mm for the shoot (depending on the working distance you will have between you and your subject), but I STILL think you can do it with the kit lens if you want to.

Oh, and I would also choose a wide aperture on any lens you decide to use.

Last edited by jon.partsch; 09-22-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: didn't fully answer poster's questions
09-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not knowing how much you are getting paid for this, I would advise you to spend the amount you would make in obtaining a cheap shoe mound strobe, shoot-through umbrella
(or reflector) and a trigger (cheap optical or radio - like the Cactus radio trigger).
Thanks for trying to help me. I'm paid on time I work on the project. I have 350 people to photograph. I can't afford buying a flash right now and the photoshoot is wednesday... So I think I will use my popup flash maybe with a diffuser... that I don't own right now.
09-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LumiQuest Soft Screen Diffuser LQ051D1 - B&H Photo Video

I have one of these (and there are other types) and they do a fair job of softening the harsh light from the pop up flash
That's a good idea but I live in Canada...B&H shipping rate to Canada is 40$... I have to find something avaible here since the photoshoot is in one week.
09-22-2010, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
That's a good idea but I live in Canada...B&H shipping rate to Canada is 40$... I have to find something avaible here since the photoshoot is in one week.
These should be easy to come by in a local shop.
09-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #11

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm paid on time I work on the project. I have 350 people to photograph. I can't afford buying a flash right now and the photoshoot is wednesday... So I think I will use my popup flash maybe with a diffuser... that I don't own right now.
That's going to be a lot of pictures taken with flash.. I know you won't be doing all 350 in a day but make sure you have lots of spare batteries!!
09-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote
That's going to be a lot of pictures taken with flash.. I know you won't be doing all 350 in a day but make sure you have lots of spare batteries!!
True. 5 different days.
09-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These should be easy to come by in a local shop.
This is what I found. I think this is a bit expensive... http://www.lozeau.com/product.aspx?NavID=17315&CultureCode=fr-CA
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I found. I think this is a bit expensive... Lozeau - Diffuseur Gary Fong The Puffer
Well, poop - that does seem a bit expensive. I would have figured $20-25 CAD. You can basically make the same thing for yourself out of a couple pieces of milky translucent plastic and some paperclips and stuff - does milk come in those type of translucent plastic jugs in Canada the same way it does here in the states?
09-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, poop - that does seem a bit expensive. I would have figured $20-25 CAD. You can basically make the same thing for yourself out of a couple pieces of milky translucent plastic and some paperclips and stuff - does milk come in those type of translucent plastic jugs in Canada the same way it does here in the states?
Thanks for the idea.