Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mishmatta Quote
Marc, the image hasn't been resized at all. Its just cropped to the proportions that the upload manager required (600x900).
Are you sure? Look at the second shot.

You said you shot at the largest JPEG size.

If that was the case and you said you just cropped it, the original would have had like 8 other people on either side of the bride and groom.

Did it!?

10-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #17

Original Poster
Nope, they were all alone, but it was a far away shot.

Here's the 2nd picture, the original full sized image (as opposed to cropped, this one is resized to fit the file size requirements here).
Attached Images

10-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'd concentrate more on the LIGHTING aspect. You completely blew out the side of the groom's face. Is this the best location you could find?
10-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #19

Original Poster
Wasn't the only place, and surely not the only picture taken - there were plenty others to use that the lighting was good - the purpose in this picture is the sharpness (see, I didn't use "crisp"!! ) and not the lighting. I was just trying to find pictures from the bunch taken that demonstrated the sharpness issue I've been noticing wide open on my 18-55mm.

The day was extremely bright and we got as many as we could in the shade places. We tried several spots to get out of the sun, and to mix up the scenery since the majority of shots were in the only 2 shady spots.

10-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

It's really small, but it appears that the focus might be on the bush/shrub to the left of the bride. That would surely cause the subjects to not be sharp. Can you see if ANY area of the photo is sharp?

Are you explicitly selecting the focus point?

Where in PA are you? I'm in the Valley Forge area. I used an *ist DS and upgraded to a K10D before switching to another brand.
10-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #21

Original Poster
No, nothing is really "sharp". The leaves are about as sharp as the bride/groom. This has been the problem I am noticing when I go wide on this lens. Now if I come in closer to 28mm up to 55mm, the image is sharp. When I'm wide like this, the entire image seems soft. I'm using the center focus on my settings. Should I maybe not use center? Should I use auto?

I just wonder if it is a lens limitation, or a user limitation.

I'm in Pittsburgh PA (or close to it).

What are you shooting with now?
10-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Don't use "AUTO", that is telling the camera "I don't care where you focus, it's up to you. If you don't read my mind and focus on the subject, I won't complain"

I now shoot with a Canon 40D and 450D, a 24-70L f/2.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 10-20mm, 30mm f/1.4, and the Canon 430EXII and 580EXII.

Oh, and I have a 100-400L, but that's just my "for fun" lens.
10-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mishmatta Quote
No, nothing is really "sharp". The leaves are about as sharp as the bride/groom. This has been the problem I am noticing when I go wide on this lens...

I just wonder if it is a lens limitation, or a user limitation.
Probably both. The kit lens is rather limited, but you should be able to get better results from it than this. Was the camera on a tripod? Did you shoot it wide open? It takes a bit of skill to tease out whatever sharpness exists in that kit lens. However, if you're really serious about shooting weddings, you're going to need better glass. The 16-45/4 would shine in the portrait shown above.

Incidentally, I also agree that the lighting is not optimal in that photo.