Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

DA 40mm manual focus ?

Hi All

I am new to digital dslr . I have just bought a DA40 but how do you manual focus it?
Thank you in advance for replies
Dave

09-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The thin ring that rotates is the focus ring. Switch your camera to manual focus mode (switch on the left front side of the camera body near the lens mount). Should be manual focusing before you know it. The lens also has quickshift focus which uses the focusing ring, but thats for manually adjusting focus when in an auto focus mode.
09-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
dbs

Original Poster
Hi lowspark86

Thankyou for quick reply. I ment f/stop eg 2.8,4,etc

Dave
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
It must be controlled through the camera. There isn't an aperture ring on DA lenses, but with a digital body you don't need it. Try Av mode on the mode dial. Depending on what camera you have/how it is set up you use either the front or back "e-dials" to scroll through the aperture settings. It is all in the manual if you take a look.

09-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi lowspark86

Thankyou for quick reply. I ment f/stop eg 2.8,4,etc

Dave
That's the aperture, not the focus, just to clarify.

Your answer is above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
dbs

Original Poster
Hi lowspark86 and Adam.

Thankyou for all the answers
I will in future be more clear with questions

Dave
09-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Furthermore, even with lens that *have* aperture rings, you are better off not using them on modern cameras. Most reasonably modern lenses (say, last 25 years or so) that have aperture rings have an "A" position on them. Leave the aperture locked there and control aperture via the camera dials in Av mode, M mode, TAv mode in cameras that support it (or let the camera choose the aperture in one fo the other auto modes). The advantage of doing this rather than using the aperture ring is that using the aperture forces you to use M mode, disables the built in meter, and forces the flash to always fire full power as well. It's basically a "crippled" camera when using the aperture ring. For older lenses that lack the "A" position, you have no choice but accept this, but it's something you're better off not having to deal with.
09-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
dbs

Original Poster
Hi Marc,Adam and lowspark86

Thankyou all for the answers and will take onboard. I need to slow down when shooting so not to get frazzled, auto is the easy way out in a rush.