09-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
The force is strong with the white K-X.
Indeed

Thanks for response!

09-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #17

I have a white K-x AND use Eneloop battery. The battery will last way past 120 shots. Depending on how many shots you take, Eneloops will last for days. I never test it scientifically, however, it's more than enough for me as an amateur photographer. Definitely, if you're not sure, get 8 of the Eneloops so you have a spare battery that will come handy.

The K-x has a better build quality compared to beginner's Canon and Nikon, for sure. That's one of my main reason in choosing the camera. That's the closest way I can compare it to a black camera, since I never have seen a black K-x. The paint does not absorb stain. I made it dirty from handling rubber one day, and I can just rub it off. The white color kinda makes K-x look like a toy camera, but I like it that way. It feels like you have a toy, but it's a real camera. I'm not worried about staining, unless someone write a marker on it.

What I do notice after I see mine in person, however, is how the parts are put together without anything between them. This is obvious when you look at it closely. It's kinda make you appreciate the weather sealing K-7 has. I knew this in advance.

Others may give different impression of the white K-x, but I fell in love with mine the first time I saw it.
09-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ipank123 Quote
I have a white K-x AND use Eneloop battery. The
Others may give different impression of the white K-x, but I fell in love with mine the first time I saw it.
No, others won't give different impression (at least they've not given yet)! everybody says the same about K-x, its good overall quality and performance. I'm very glad to read all this.

The issue is solved.

Thank you very much. All of you!

The moderator can close the topic now...
09-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Ive had a white one since july first and love it. Its very sturdy and it still looks like brand new. My friends have canon t1i/ t2i and they feel very flimsy to me. The only flimsy part on my pentax k-x is the lens release button.

09-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the black K-x, partly because color was a secondary consideration for me and partly because getting the best deal on the kit I wanted with a white K-x appeared problematical. I didn't want to take the time to figure that one out. However, one review in particular of the K-x (which happened to be by a guy who got a white one and very much loved that aspect of his purchase) heavily influenced me to make my final buying decision. His review (along with many many very interesting comments) is here:

Amazon.com: Edgar_in_Indy's review of Pentax K-x Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD ...

I also have Eneloop AA's for my K-x (2 sets) and have experienced none of the battery depletion problems I used to get constantly with my P&S. I've had a La Crosse BC-900 charger for years (and many other chargers). The La Crosse is the one I use every time. Occasionally, a battery is so depleted that the La Crosse reports that the battery is "Null" and I need to use another charger for a minute or two to get the La Crosse to accept it. Otherwise, it's the La Crosse. I will not use "fast" chargers.

NiMH batteries are such that there's no downside to topping them up at any time. This characteristic makes them preferable to Li-ion batteries, at least for me. That was one of the reasons I favor Pentax over other brand DSLR's. If I get a K-r one day, I will get the optional AA module.

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
Ive had a white one since july first and love it. Its very sturdy and it still looks like brand new. My friends have canon t1i/ t2i and they feel very flimsy to me. The only flimsy part on my pentax k-x is the lens release button.
Edgar_in_Indy's review linked above describes in detail how he bought a T2i and became so dissatisfied that he returned it, finally settling on the K-x, and he said that he couldn't have been more pleased with his K-x. He too said the T2i felt very plasticy and flimsy, also quite a lot more expensive. He took the money he saved and bought great additional lenses for his K-x.

Last edited by Muse; 09-25-2010 at 07:51 AM.
09-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Than you Muse, your information is more than satisfying.
09-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
I agree, Lithiums are the best choice, but expensive as well because those batteries are expendable.
Since I shoot all manual lenses, I don't use a lot of power for auto focus, so my Energizer Lithiums last FOREVER.
09-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Since I shoot all manual lenses, I don't use a lot of power for auto focus, so my Energizer Lithiums last FOREVER.
Interesting opinion... But I guess it'll take a century for me to learn how to shoot properly with manual lens

09-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. I've been really enjoying my K-x and got it from Amazon too. I might suggest that you get the 2 lens combination as it is the best bang for the money of any I could find. The 300mm lens gets the better reviews of the two telephoto options (the 200mm is a little bit less money but does not get anywhere near as good reviews as the 300mm).

Also, they do NOT come with lens hoods so if you want them you will need a 52mm and a 58mm hood. I have purchased mine from Hong Kong through this eBay seller (no relation just happy with their price and product) for $12-13 each:
09-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome aboard. I've been really enjoying my K-x and got it from Amazon too. I might suggest that you get the 2 lens combination as it is the best bang for the money of any I could find. The 300mm lens gets the better reviews of the two telephoto options (the 200mm is a little bit less money but does not get anywhere near as good reviews as the 300mm).

Also, they do NOT come with lens hoods so if you want them you will need a 52mm and a 58mm hood. I have purchased mine from Hong Kong through this eBay seller (no relation just happy with their price and product) for $12-13 each:
Thank youu
09-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
Interesting opinion... But I guess it'll take a century for me to learn how to shoot properly with manual lens
And yet, everyone in the entire world managed to do so before around 1980.
09-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I know, I myself have a couple of old Soviet (Russian) film cameras,

FED 2:

KIEV:

and SOKOL 2:

Pictures are not of exactly my ones, but they're of the same model. All three cameras are completely manual systems, which require "exponometer" (how we call it), a device which calculates correct aperture and exposure... It's not a problem for pros, but when one needs fast focus and fast shot, that's problematic.
09-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not with Pentax isn't. See the sticky thread on how to use manual lenses. The "Green button" (or equivalent) automatically chooses a shutter speed for you based on the selected aperture. It's only one button press more than using Av mode on a modern lens. And tat extra button button press is not needed on every shot - just when the light changes.
09-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not with Pentax isn't. See the sticky thread on how to use manual lenses. The "Green button" (or equivalent) automatically chooses a shutter speed for you based on the selected aperture. It's only one button press more than using Av mode on a modern lens. And tat extra button button press is not needed on every shot - just when the light changes.
I'll check the thread, thank you!
09-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #30

Manual focusing does not intimidate me in the least (especially with a lens with a distance scale on it). I used to do it with my Nikon F and my Rolleiflex 2 1/4. I'm shopping for a Pentax-A f1.7 50mm lens, though, because I'm not aware of exactly how I'm going to like stop down metering with a Pentax-M lens. I'll have to get a lens and do some SDM to find out, I guess.