Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
Manual focusing does not intimidate me in the least (especially with a lens with a distance scale on it). I used to do it with my Nikon F and my Rolleiflex 2 1/4. I'm shopping for a Pentax-A f1.7 50mm lens, though, because I'm not aware of exactly how I'm going to like stop down metering with a Pentax-M lens. I'll have to get a lens and do some SDM to find out, I guess.
I was given a Pentax-M 50/2 lens yesterday. Haven't had too much time with it yet but I am enjoying it and using it on the K-x is far easier than many of the posts here would lead one to believe. About 3 steps (turn to MF, go in and allow app change, and tell it the focal length of the lens) and its good to go. Metering with the green button is interesting and so far has been pretty close if not on the button with my lens (although I have read that it can be hit or miss depending on the lens). Next up is trying my new Pentax-M 28/2.8 and 135/3.5

09-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Note that the step of allow aperture ring only has to be done once - then you can leave it that way forever.
09-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Note that the step of allow aperture ring only has to be done once - then you can leave it that way forever.
Marc,

Yes, I read that in the manual and its very nice. Basically forces Newbies like me to actually read and decide whether we really want to go that route. It's been a pleasure shooting the M lens, very nice color, DoF is super, and I like the control it gives back to me. Of course when I'm shooting my son at Soccer I'm using a fully AF lens and appreciating it too
10-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
I bought the white K-x. Haven't had it long enough to comment on the cleaning issue, but I think I won't have a problem as long as I don't use the camera immediately after changing the oil in my car.

I mainly bought it because I liked the looks, bbut there may be a practical benefit too. There used to be a camera bag made by Zone VI Studios out of white naugahyde. They chose white rather than the ubiquitous white because of tests they did where they put a white bag and a black bag in the sun. After 20 minutes the temperature in the black bag was 30 degrees higher than in the white bag. When I was researching digital cameras, I read that noise goes up as sensor temperature goes up. So maybe it will pay off in performance. Who knows; at least it looks good!

10-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Interesting. Hadn't thought about the heat index for black vs. white body. I wonder if that will translate to meaningful differences in performance on hot days in the sun shooting sports?
10-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm that might be true, 'cause one of my lads have Nikon D40 which is SILVER. When he asked representatives why is it silver, not black, they told that "it is for hot, sunny countries". We never tested temperature though, but in any case, if a photographer cares about his gear, he'll make sure his stuff remains in shadow
10-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #37
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Interesting. Hadn't thought about the heat index for black vs. white body. I wonder if that will translate to meaningful differences in performance on hot days in the sun shooting sports?
It's six of one, half dozen of the other:

If you live in a cold climate, you would want black.

10-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

have a white k-x

I have a white k-x since it was introduced. I haven't noticed any build quality issues so far. I had issues with batteries though. Regular batteries were dieing quickly. Switching to eneloops solved the issue for me.

I can't speak of how the build quality of white k-x compares with other colors. I have NEVER met any Pentax shooter in the wild. The closest it came was the time when I met someone with an old white Minolta...

cheers,

Abhi