Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Two questions about K-x

Hello.

I'm new to photography and just about to buy my first DSLR. After reading lots of reviews I finally see the "one and only truth" in 600$ budget - Pentax K-x. So now I'm going to buy it. But before I do it, I need some advise regarding batteries and the camera itself.

I guess everybody knows that K-x is available in many colors. "Navy blue" seems to be very good, but white one is much better to me. I would buy it, but I'm concerned about its build quality - I have a bad experience with hardware having white plastic finishing. Does anyone here have WHITE K-x and if so, then please share your experience - does it have good build quality? Is it still shiny after months of usage or it becomes cracky and kind of grey?.. Or, otherwise speaking, is white K-x's build quality as good as black one or white plastic plays his negative role?

My second question is regarding the batteries. I would like to know which batteries are best to buy. Many of my friends recommend me "Sanyo Eneloops" and a decent charger (probably BC-700), but Eneloops have only 2000mAh capacity and as I know, DSLR drains batteries very fast. So will Eneloops' capacity enough to not to change batteries every 100-120 shots?

I'll be very grateful if someone helps me...

09-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K-x, but I do know the K-x is built quite soundly, regardless of colour.
However as for whether the white colour can be easily soiled or not, I'd have no idea.

Best batteries are definitely the Eneloops (2000mAh) or the Maha Powerex's (2700mAh). Don't be fooled by just the power ratings - the Eneloops are known to last just as long as the Powerexs, and I've bought rechargeable AAs in the past (thinking even no-name brands of 2800 or 2900mAh AAs must be good too) which have lasted no more than 6 months at expected performance levels.

Eneloops and Powerexs will leave you with enough power to go for at least 500 shots, even with considerably heavy use of on-board flash.
09-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I cannot answer your color question but Eneloops are much better than normal NiMH rechargeables for use in your camera.

The latter specify higher mAh capacities, but loose voltage under load much sooner, which in real life usage means that your camera cannot effectively use the extra capacity. In principle all NiMhs which come precharged will do the job, but Eneloops are a safe choice. Around 500 shots should be no problem, if you don't use the display on the back and flash a lot you'll get more.

Note that you can also use normal NiMhs, I use normal 2500 mAhs also without problems. A potential disadvantage of these normal cells is that they loose their energy even when not used. So you need to recharge them if you haven't used your camera for a few weeks. This is no problem with the precharged cells like Eneloops, you can keep them in the camera and they will still have most energy after a year.

Most important is getting a good charger, but you already planned that.

Last edited by tomtor; 09-23-2010 at 11:52 PM.
09-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Right, as I understand, Eneloops are the best choice in "price/performance" ratio and they have "Low self-discharge" which is good and 2000mAh are not a problem at all... Thans, both of you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

but the second question still remains unanswered.

Does anyone here have a white K-x?

09-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote

but the second question still remains unanswered.

Does anyone here have a white K-x?
Hi, Mikheil. I'm sure someone will post soon who has a white one, but everything that I've read from people is that it does NOT soil or stain like you would expect white to do.

And by the way:

We also call the white K-x the "Stormtrooper" K-x, because it looks like the stormtroopers in Star Wars!
09-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #6

Hi Mikheil,

Although it was already answered, just to illustrate it:
I have two new sets of eneloops and three sets of GP 2700mAh - one of them is two months old and was rarely in use. I charged all of them and went to an outdoor trip. The eneloops lasted much longer (I think about five days each set) than the new GP set (that lasted for only two days).
I think that the main reason is that the eneloops almost don't self discharge while the GPs do. As I used the GPs only after two weeks, they were probably only half charged or so.

BUT - don't buy eneloop charger - it takes forever to charge! I use my GP 8 hours NiMH charger.

As for the color issue I can't help. My black K-x seems to be built pretty well. Much better than my previous "DSLR-like" P&S - Canon S3. As a new K-x owner (first DSLR) I can tell you it's a great choice. Probably the best.

However, as I see you are not located in the US, I would advice you think about this issue: I don't live in the US as well, and I found it a bit of a problem to find Pentax accessories in my country. The local importer does not import the whole variety of Pentax accessories and most shops do not sell or service Pentax at all. The importing company has a great service so it is not that bad but you can't find accessories on the street (and not all ebay sellers ship to here).
09-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hi, Mikheil. I'm sure someone will post soon who has a white one, but everything that I've read from people is that it does NOT soil or stain like you would expect white to do.

And by the way:

We also call the white K-x the "Stormtrooper" K-x, because it looks like the stormtroopers in Star Wars!
Hello Ira. I've heard about that "storm trooper" joke and even ran into a photo of a guy in Darth vader's suit, holding a white K-x. So if white plastic isn't a problem, I'm up for it. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by yotam Quote
Hi Mikheil,

Although it was already answered, just to illustrate it:
I have two new sets of eneloops and three sets of GP 2700mAh - one of them is two months old and was rarely in use. I charged all of them and went to an outdoor trip. The eneloops lasted much longer (I think about five days each set) than the new GP set (that lasted for only two days).
I think that the main reason is that the eneloops almost don't self discharge while the GPs do. As I used the GPs only after two weeks, they were probably only half charged or so.

BUT - don't buy eneloop charger - it takes forever to charge! I use my GP 8 hours NiMH charger.

As for the color issue I can't help. My black K-x seems to be built pretty well. Much better than my previous "DSLR-like" P&S - Canon S3. As a new K-x owner (first DSLR) I can tell you it's a great choice. Probably the best.

However, as I see you are not located in the US, I would advice you think about this issue: I don't live in the US as well, and I found it a bit of a problem to find Pentax accessories in my country. The local importer does not import the whole variety of Pentax accessories and most shops do not sell or service Pentax at all. The importing company has a great service so it is not that bad but you can't find accessories on the street (and not all ebay sellers ship to here).
Hello Yotam. Toda raba for responding!.. There are no Pentax's dealers in Georgia, neither are Nikon's. There are only Canon's dealers, but their prices are TOO high. K-x seems to be the best choice to me despite its negative sides...

09-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
build quality is very sound, bar 2 parts, the lens release button, which moves abou when u press it, and feels a bit flimsy....and the battery compartment door, which wriggles a bit and often doesnt sit flush with the grip. very minor things!

eneloops will get a good 500 shots from a full charge. but if you can't carry round the heavy charger, on say a hiking trip or something, i strongly recommend energizer lithiums, as i got a good 1500 -2000 shots out of 4 of them, and they weigh hardly anything, so easy to take a second set of four.
09-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank youuu
09-24-2010, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Hi Mikheil! I was waiting for someone who has owned their k-x longer than I have to answer, but I have had a white k-x for about half a year and I love it. It has not shown any wear at all, not even smudgy spots where my fingers touch a lot, like the on/off dial and hand grip. My experience has not been what Beer Nuts describes: my lens release button feels pretty solid, and the battery door is nice and flush with the camera. This is my first Pentax camera, so I don't know how it compares to the black models, but I'm very happy with my color choice!
09-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #11

I use the Energizer Lithiums as well. I got 2000 shots and a LOT of transfers from camera to computer with the first set. Can't beat that!
09-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shellie Quote
Hi Mikheil! I was waiting for someone who has owned their k-x longer than I have to answer, but I have had a white k-x for about half a year and I love it. It has not shown any wear at all, not even smudgy spots where my fingers touch a lot, like the on/off dial and hand grip. My experience has not been what Beer Nuts describes: my lens release button feels pretty solid, and the battery door is nice and flush with the camera. This is my first Pentax camera, so I don't know how it compares to the black models, but I'm very happy with my color choice!
Hi Shellie! I'm totally satisfied with your answer! 6 months is a fairly long time to detect quality flaws. I'm glad white plastic is good and WILL buy white K-x. I'm going to order it from amazon, because they seem to have lowest prices.
09-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
I use the Energizer Lithiums as well. I got 2000 shots and a LOT of transfers from camera to computer with the first set. Can't beat that!
I agree, Lithiums are the best choice, but expensive as well because those batteries are expendable. I wanted to find out whether rechargeable Li-Ions are usable or not and pentax support center stated that they "strongly recommend only Ni-MH rechargeables, Li-Ions are good for tripping and low temprature shooting and Ni-MN ones are completely prohibited because of the excessive voltage".
09-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I had a white K-x for about a month, but returned it. Not because it was faulty or anything, but the K-x is my first DSLR and I wanted the 2 lens kit that came with the black one. Honestly though, I kinda regret not keeping the white one. It definitely caught more people's attention, though that might not always be a good thing.
09-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
Forum Member

The force is strong with the white K-X.

My friend shoots with one, and the build quality is superb. Its the same material, just a different coat of paint. White stuff will get dirty, but you can clean them pretty easily. I would dampen a lint free cloth with some degreaser and shine it back to new if I played in the dirt with it.

Last edited by hal_a; 09-24-2010 at 09:58 AM.