Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #1

Which point and shoot camera for me?

I'm a serious photographer and long time Pentax devotee. I got my first Pentax SLR in 1968, had several bodies, then upgraded to a SuperProgram in 1982. Over the years have had several SuperPrograms and a couple of MEs. Last year I finally plunged into digital with a K-7 and several new lenses. I shoot almost exclusively in RAW and post process in Photoshop.

I want a camera to take on bicycle trips. It needs to be simple enough to use so my wife can snap away -- we ride a tandem and I envision putting the camera in the pocket on the back of my jersey so she can reach it at any time. It must be water resistant or, better (I think), water proof.

At the same time, it needs to take great photos.

Is there a Pentax point and shoot in my future?

09-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax P&S cameras haven't always gotten the highest marks (at least that's what I've typically read) but they as good as most of the other brands P&S cameras typically. I'd recommend you look at the new Pentax OptioW90 (waterproof, etc.). I wish I'd bought it as I own it's predecessor the W80 (described as the worst camera of 2009 in one review!) which I take sea kayaking. The W80 has noise some issues in very low light but it's said that the W90 is greatly improved in this area and has some fun features. (I also own a k10, k20, and k100ds BTW.)

I find the W80 very simple to use and actually quite fun. I'll usually slip it into a back pocket on hikes etc. A pro I know on another forum uses it to take magazine quality underwater images of fish. Anyway, check out the Option W90.

Here is an image I took this summer in Yosemite NP with the W80.
09-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have heard extremely good things about the Optio W90's image quality. It's also got the "easy to use" and "Waterproof" things down pretty well too. You may miss the fact that it doesn't have Tv or M shooting modes, but I don't think any of the new Pentax P&S cameras have that
09-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I have heard concerns like this before of course so really I am only here (in the post) as a demonstration of reinforced understanding, I guess. Often the best camera is the one you have with you. And let's face it, sometimes you just don't want to carry your dslr with you at times but the "photographer" in us may still feel the need to save a memory or scene.