Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

got my first fly shot...

good for a first, but how can i improve it? its quite grainy and has some glairy parts showing abnormal colour? what do you guys think? and how can i fix these issues to get a better shot!

Attached Images

09-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to guess this was an older lens you were you using? I have an old 55mm f/1.8 that exhibits this sort of discoloration. Different tint varies between bluish or magenta depending on if the portion is in front of or behind the plane of focus.

Not sure what you want to improve on, you could experiment with different angles - trying to get a total frontal view, for example, so the eyes are basically symmetrical in the frame.

You could also try some fill light on the shadow side, be it from a flash or a paper plate even. (I always have one in my bag folded up in a little pizza-pie shape. It does wonders for certain macros. Just don't scare the fly away with it haha)
09-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think if you really want help, it would be advisable to explain exactly how you took the photo and what with. Different setups will be slightly different in their application.

09-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The toughest part of macro is a shallow DOF, and to boost that by increasing the F-stop number, you've got to get more light. I use fill-flash a lot, but always with the difuser and bounce plate down to prevent glare. To see what I mean, look at my Tiny Wildflower Macros gallery in my Photoshelter website. Almost all of them were shot with fill-flash and f-22 for maximum DOF and focus sharpness.
I've also used a hand-held mirror to reflect the sun's light directly unto the subject.

09-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
i should clarify

i want to get the grainyness out of the photo and the odd light spots of strange colours to

i used a bellows fully extended and a 90mm tamron macro lens on a pentax k200d, i used no flash except the natural light
09-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

grain as in ISO noise?
09-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
it was the lowest iso so, is it iso noise?
09-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's such a big fly. Disgusting.

The "weird color spots" he's talking about I guess are those reflections on the insect's "hair". I believe those rainbow patterns are normal once you get to such a small scale, kinda like oil reflection on water. Maybe a polarizer would help?

09-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mantis Quote
it was the lowest iso so, is it iso noise?
Did you push the exposure in post processing?

I suggest shooting with a flash at such high magnifications btw.
09-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Did you push the exposure in post processing?

I suggest shooting with a flash at such high magnifications btw.
push the exposure?

no i got the right light to begin with, should i shoot darker and then just up the exposure in processing?
09-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mantis Quote
push the exposure?

no i got the right light to begin with, should i shoot darker and then just up the exposure in processing?

thats pushing the exposure ^
09-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pushing the exposure shows more noise.
Pulling the exposure (shooting it too bright, and pulling it back down to normal in PP), will help control noise.
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

again, I suggest a flash.
09-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Pushing the exposure shows more noise.
Pulling the exposure (shooting it too bright, and pulling it back down to normal in PP), will help control noise.
Sometimes at the expense of detail due to blown highlights. It's really a balancing act and only practice will make one a macro master. I'm not there yet and I have some pretty nice tools for the job.

As for the OPs first fly shot, not the worse I've ever seen but nothing really looks in focus to me. Shooting something like that should be stopped down, even on a bellows and maybe Especially on a bellows. It would then require a lot of light to get a good exposure, as has been noted. Remember that the further away from your sensor the rear of the lens is, the less light reaching the sensor. If you are 2x in mm away you will have 1/4 of the light in the exposure. 3x>1/8, 4x>1/16, etc (as a general rule).

09-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #15

Original Poster
thanks guys, yes im still waiting for my ring light to come in the mail, then all should be well lol