Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Bracketing: other than EV

I was reading an article on photographing sunsets and was surprised to find a suggestion to use the Shutter Priority mode and set up bracketing for the aperture. I don't think the K-x has that feature - is this on Pro Level Cameras only?

I could not find this listed on the K-5 specs either.

09-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wouldn't you just have to set the camera into Tv mode and enable exposure bracketing? That'll force the camera to have to change the aperture to change exposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill L Quote
I was reading an article on photographing sunsets and was surprised to find a suggestion to use the Shutter Priority mode and set up bracketing for the aperture. I don't think the K-x has that feature - is this on Pro Level Cameras only?

I could not find this listed on the K-5 specs either.
Tv (Time Value) is another name for "shutter priority."

Does the article say why it recommends shutter priority mode? If you want to keep DoF consistent (e.g. for HDR), you may want to use aperture priority (or Av - Aperture Value) mode.
09-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wouldn't you just have to set the camera into Tv mode and enable exposure bracketing? That'll force the camera to have to change the aperture to change exposure.
+ take iso to manuel, in order to let the camera to change only Av. otherwise
iso would be taken into account too.

09-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the K-x, but this is a K-7 feature, yes. Bracketing works differently on Tv and Av modes. On Tv, the bracketing is done using different apertures (the time value (Tv) is kept constant). On Av, the bracketing is done using different shutter speeds (the aperture value (Av) is kept constant). On Sv, ISO is kept constant.
09-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I don't know about the K-x, but this is a K-7 feature, yes. Bracketing works differently on Tv and Av modes. On Tv, the bracketing is done using different apertures (the time value (Tv) is kept constant). On Av, the bracketing is done using different shutter speeds (the aperture value (Av) is kept constant). On Sv, ISO is kept constant.
It's the same with the K-x
09-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If I understand this correctly, the camera will vary the aperture in Tv mode to obtain the EV bracket that is "dialed" in.
09-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #8

If I understand this correctly, the camera will vary the aperture in Tv mode to obtain the EV bracket that is "dialed" in.
Yes, it will either vary the aperture value or the ISO level (or both). Shutter speed will remain the same for all bracketed shots.

09-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Correct. In case it isn't clear (your original question suggests it isn't), EV can never be controlled in any way *other* than by changing aperture, shutter speed, or ISO. Those are the three basic parameters of exposure. EV compensation is just an indirect way of telling the camera to change one or more of those three parameters. Which parameter the camera will change depends on the mode your are in. In Av mode, the camera must hold aperture constant; in Tv mode, it must hold shutter speed constant. ISO must also be held constant unless you have Auto ISO turned on. When you dial in EV compensation (either directly or by using bracketing), the camera is free to change any parameter not held constant.
09-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanations; I never considered how the bracketing was produced. Pretty obvious now that everyone has explained it. Thanks,