Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
canon t1i vs pentax k-x

A guy i work with just got a T2i, and asked me to sell his old T1i. Ive been playing with it this weekend and did some back to back comparisons with my K-X. I was appauled to find out how much better its image quality is then my K-X and started to think something was wrong with my camera. Turns out ive just been misinformed about what settings my pentax kit lens excels at. Ive been using the dpreview sharpness chart -- which shows the kit lens sharpest at 24mm F4 - 5. After doing some pixel peeping i found that my kit lens starts to get sharp at f5.6-f8. Now im wondering how many photos i took could of been a whole lot better...

Anyrate I like the image quality of the canon but fit, finish, layout i prefer my K-X a lot better. the canon feels cheap and flimsy to me, though some might appreciate its lightness. I also found a lot of pictures i take with the canon are not turning out as well. -- i have more keepers with my K-X.

The T2i is another story, its IQ is much better then the T1i and i liked using it better then the T1i despite looking and feeling identical to the T1i...

09-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #2

k-x was my choice

Hi,

Not sure if you had a particular question, but I will give you my input.

I had this same dilemma this year. I got the T1i, played around with it but ultimately chose the pentax k-x.

Here are my reasons for doing so:
1) the t1i had terrible white balance. K-x had much better performance in this regard.
2) t1i did not fit my hands and my shooting style. I found it very awkward to hold. I wound up getting the grip for the t1i and then the camera became extremely huge to lug around and no fun for me. K-x was the bigggggg winner in this regard. It is very comfortable to hold and the button placement makes sense.
3) The k-x was over $200 dollars cheaper at the time!! The ISO perfomance was well above the t1i and that was important for me.

Now, that I have had the k-x, I haven't regretted my decision once. Now that I have the da40 limited, I am sooo glad I have the k-x. That is one nice camera to carry around. It is so small and compact and the image quality is outstanding.
09-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

for me I got the KX over the T1i

1: in camera Image stabilisation
2: way better high ISO photpgraphy capability
3: better sensor inthe KX ( in fact one site had it rated in the top 20 of its DSLR tests out of 110)
4: retro lens compatability
5: it was the cool white one
09-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
It wasnt much of a question but more of a "don't repeat my mistakes" avoid shooting pictures at F3.5/4/5 the k-x kit lens gets sharp at 5.6 and up. I was doing this because Dpreview.com lens sharpness chart shows 18-55mm pentax kit lens sharp at f4 and starts to drop by F5.6

i shot about 1000 pictures at F4 and now i realize what ive been missing. I would chose the K-X over the t1i again too. It's just in using the t1i i realize i had been doing something wrong with my pentax.