Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

adaptor help adaptall 2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi
I have a tamron Aaptall 2 28mm 2.5 lens that i want to use on my K-x. At the moment it has a P/U (M42) adaptor fitted, which I can mount on my K-x via my M42 to K mount adaptor, but then I am stuck with open aperture.
I can only find information about PK or the PK/A mount adaptors. But I have seen some used K/M adptors for pentax for sale, but can't find any info on them, can anybody tell me if i can use that. If no, are there any issues with using a cheap ebay PK adaptor (like there are with the M42 to K)?
I know that the PK/A will give me auto modes but they are hard to find and $$, I am a noob and just want to be able to experiment with this lens for now. The lens cost me nothing but I'm not ready to spend $100+ to try it out.
Thanks
Mel

09-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not an expert but the K/M may be the original Adaptall mount and perhaps, not compatible with your lens. If you don't want to shell out the cash for the PK/A version of the adapter, the PK will probably work fine for you. I've seen Aftermarket adapters for these as well for around $20 on ebay.

Tamron Adaptall 2 Lens to Pentax PK Mount Adapter - eBay (item 200510722178 end time Oct-20-10 00:13:00 PDT)

09-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kangamel Quote
Hi
I have a tamron Aaptall 2 28mm 2.5 lens that i want to use on my K-x. At the moment it has a P/U (M42) adaptor fitted, which I can mount on my K-x via my M42 to K mount adaptor, but then I am stuck with open aperture.
I can only find information about PK or the PK/A mount adaptors. But I have seen some used K/M adptors for pentax for sale, but can't find any info on them, can anybody tell me if i can use that. If no, are there any issues with using a cheap ebay PK adaptor (like there are with the M42 to K)?
I know that the PK/A will give me auto modes but they are hard to find and $$, I am a noob and just want to be able to experiment with this lens for now. The lens cost me nothing but I'm not ready to spend $100+ to try it out.
Thanks
Mel
Hmm, you should be able to find a genuine Tamron K-mount adapter pretty cheaply on ebay or in the used equipment listings at Adorama or B&H. That's what I would suggest you use. There are only three versions of Tamron Adaptall-2 adapter for Pentax: M42 ("Screw-Mount"), K-mount, and K/A-mount (with electrical contacts).

Cheers!
09-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the quick replies. Will check adorama and BH.

09-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I recall correctly the pin needs to be pushed to stop the lens down. To modify the adaptor takes a small length of plastic tube spaced between the base of the adaptor and the pin. The end of an ink refil from a pen works great
09-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
Hmm, you should be able to find a genuine Tamron K-mount adapter pretty cheaply on ebay or in the used equipment listings at Adorama or B&H. That's what I would suggest you use. There are only three versions of Tamron Adaptall-2 adapter for Pentax: M42 ("Screw-Mount"), K-mount, and K/A-mount (with electrical contacts).
Actually, there are 4. There was also an ES adapter which I believe was a screw mount with the weird gear thingy on the side.

Scott
09-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
But I have seen some used K/M adptors for pentax for sale, but can't find any info on them, can anybody tell me if i can use that.
Do they look like this one?

If the answer is yes, this is what I've been using for some time. I want to keep an adapter on each lens and I can't afford the PK/A ones - not even a single one - I think their price is crazy. And I imagine the PK ones would force me to use M mode. With the above one, I can use the lenses as preset lenses in A mode - basically, the same way as I would use Takumars. It can get hard to focus at low apertures, but up to f/8 I manage pretty well, and I rarely stop down further than that.

09-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You mean like this one? Tamron Adaptall Mount adapter Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

We also have a list of all adaptall lenses in the above database, in case you need info on those as well!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
...With the above one, I can use the lenses as preset lenses in A mode...
With the eBay adapter the aperture becomes fully manual (stopped down all the time) as opposed to the "pre-set" functionality provided by the A/M switch on your Takumars. Given the choice of a fully manual or pre-set aperture vs. auto aperture (stops down at exposure), I would go for the readily available and relatively inexpensive genuine Tamron P/K model hands down over something like the eBay item. Focus changes frequently, exposure much less so.

Steve

BTW...The Adaptall-2 mounts in my bag are labeled "for Pentax" (M42, no lens couplers), "P/K" (K-mount, no "A" contacts), and "P/KA" (K-mount with "A" contacts). I don't have the ESII adapter.
09-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With the eBay adapter the aperture becomes fully manual (stopped down all the time) as opposed to the "pre-set" functionality provided by the A/M switch on your Takumars.
That's not what preset means. A Takumar is not a good example of preset lens - it is preset only in M mode. It also has an automatic aperture mechanism and an A/M switch for switching to it, but those features don't define a "preset" lens. Takumars are examples of an intermediary stage of lens evolution from preset to automatic aperture. For earlier preset mechanisms, look at some of the Russian lenses which don't have an A/M switch. In particular, the Industar 50-2 only has a stopless aperture ring and there is no quick setting mechanism - it's a remnant of preset lens design for rangefinders, where an auto aperture mechanism wasn't necessary because you were not focusing through the lens anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Given the choice of a fully manual or pre-set aperture vs. auto aperture (stops down at exposure), I would go for the readily available and relatively inexpensive genuine Tamron P/K model hands down over something like the eBay item. Focus changes frequently, exposure much less so.
Depends on what you are shooting. I made the opposite choice, because these days I spend a lot of time shooting birds and insects and they move from light to shadow and the exposure changes all the time depending on where they sit - it's more important for me to not have to waste time with the green button. As I mentioned before, up to f/8 I can still handle the darkening of the viewfinder. YMMV, of course.

Anyway, regarding adapters, to summarize the choices, there are three types I've seen:

- the Tamron PK/A - the most expensive and desirable - makes the lens into an A lens
- the Tamron PK - Steve prefers it, I don't - makes the lens into a K/M type of lens where you need to use M mode and green button for stop down metering
- the generic no frills adapter that lacks an aperture flange - it's also referred as PK, but should not be confused with the Tamron PK - this makes the lens into a preset lens (Industar 50-2 style, to be clear) with the benefit that it can be used in A mode and the drawback that you have to focus with the lens stopped down, which can be challenging at apertures smaller than f/8 (limit will vary depending on eyesight and lighting conditions)

The order in which I listed these corresponds to their decreasing prices.
09-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

This is what I have seen on ebay.

The bid for a p/k on ebay at the moment is $35AU or buy it now for $55 a PK/A can be had for about $100 so the PK is not really a bargain option a the the moment.

the cheap ebay ones are around $20 AU free delivery.

Since I don't really know what I'm doing yet, I would consider a chepo to play with as long as it's 'safe'. There seems to be a strong opinion that with M42 adaptors genuine is the only way to go, so I lashed out on one, but that was so I can use a Takumar 50 1.4 and it has been worth it.

I am noob at photography but have been using a Takumar in M mode with the green button, so far I'm enjoying it and the results are pleasing to ME . It's focusing that's an issue

I have a lot to learn yet, although the term is familiar, thanks to this forum, I really don't understand stop down metering or preset lens etc yet.
i will read through your replies when I have more time to try and understand the options you guys are explaining.
Thanks again.
09-27-2010, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kangamel

there is no real issue in modifying the M42 adaptor to work.

As I posted earlier, all it needs is a 1/8 inch spacer strategically placed.

As seen in the photo below, I cut 1./8 inch (3mm) from the end of a BIC pen refil, slit it lengthwise and put it around the activation pin between the base of the mount and the plate that pushes the aperture lever in the lens.

it takes about 1 minute to do the modification, 2 if you are clumsey
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
09-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
kangamel

there is no real issue in modifying the M42 adaptor to work.

As I posted earlier, all it needs is a 1/8 inch spacer strategically placed.

As seen in the photo below, I cut 1./8 inch (3mm) from the end of a BIC pen refil, slit it lengthwise and put it around the activation pin between the base of the mount and the plate that pushes the aperture lever in the lens.

it takes about 1 minute to do the modification, 2 if you are clumsey
Thank You Lowell Goudge, I had a look at the adaptor last night after reading your sugestion, and I could only kinda see it.
I really love DIY solutions, but umm NOT with my NEW CAMERA
but I've got it now, "a picture tells a thoudsand words"
I'm of to find a BIC,
+1 for your rep

Now, if I may, one more Question, is this modified M42 going to work like a P/K, I use the green button in M mode?

And thanks for all the other replies, I am learning so much from this forum.
09-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ta da all done, M42 adaptor now has a bit of plastic added and I can adjust the aperture. Seems to work in M with green button just like my Tak, I am happy with that, and it cost me nothing. But 1- 2 min? find pen, find blade and cut plasic to size - 50 seconds. Getting the Tiny bit of plastic tube onto the pin... lets just say I must be very very clumsy
09-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ta da all done, M42 adaptor now has a bit of plastic added and I can adjust the aperture. Seems to work in M with green button just like my Tak, I am happy with that, and it cost me nothing. But 1- 2 min? find pen, find blade and cut plasic to size - 50 seconds. Getting the Tiny bit of plastic tube onto the pin... lets just say I must be very very clumsy
Lets add another name in the DIY forum

really glad I could help, and the mod is simple, it is just that I was away from my camera and using an Ipod to post previously, so I could not take the photo.

Note this type of mod also gets used on some "AUTO" M42 lenses that don't have an auto manual switch, it is useful to know.

As for the time to install, it does take longer the first time, but there are some tricks to get the slit in the tube around the pin.

But seriously, how long is really clumsy?