Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

No green button on *istD

...what do I do now? I have used searches to no avail, everything I read about stop down metering on Pentax DSLR's refers to "the green button," "the green button..."

Still haven't found clear explanations of stop down metering with manual lenses when using the DL, like I am. Do I have to meter through the menu somehow, or am I just out of luck completely??

Thanks!
Marty

(edit) Let me explain the method I have been using thus far:

1) Use M mode
2) Set the aperature manually on the lens
3) Keeping the shutter button depressed halfway, I focus, hit the AE-L button, and shoot

I am guessing that's correct. I was just wondering if this method can be used in Av mode as well, with fully manual lenses.

Last edited by McPrime; 09-26-2010 at 09:57 PM.
09-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've written an article on how it's done: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

I believe that on the DL, you have to engage the DOF preview to get the camera to stop down and meter properly. That's how it was on my *ist DS, but it sure has been a while!

You have to be in M mode; otherwise, the camera will not fire.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On Pentax cameras without a Green Button, you need to be in Manual exposure mode and to have enabled/permitted the use of the aperture ring.

While metering is activated you then beed to press the AE-L button. The lens will momentarily stop down to the aperture set on the lens and the correct shutter speed will be set.

Using the DOF preview lever will only stop down the lens, it does not set the correct exposure.

Regards, Chris Stone, seventhdr
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Clarification: on *all* cameras, you need to be in M mode in order to use stop down metering. The only difference between models is *which* button to press to do it. On cameras with Green button, it's that one. One other models, it's a different model. On the DL series, it's the AE-L button, as described in the manual.

09-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all... as you can see in my original post, that was the method I was using. But I didn't arrive there by reading the manual, as the verbage of the manual is not necessarily always beginner-friendly to people with little experience... nevertheless, I have managed to sort it out thanks to trial and error.