Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you change manually white balance?
Yes - on every shot 79.59%
Yes - only when i have plenty of time for the shot 1824.66%
No 4865.75%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White balance

Hello,

i was wondering how many of you change the white balance when taking photos.

I went to a wedding and was talking for a long time to the photographer - who was the same guy i used for my wedding. And he told me that he manually controls everything on the camera. He showed me even an orange stripe that he uses on his camera sometimes in church in order to have a better colour.

I used to change it sometimes on my P&S, however i never bothered to change it on my K-X...

09-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't change it at all typically and leave it set on auto in the K7. It's actually pretty good but if it fails, I usually adjust it in post processing.

09-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't change it at all typically and leave it set on auto in the K7. It's actually pretty good but if it fails, I usually adjust it in post processing.

Same with me. For the most part the auto setting on my K10D does pretty good. If adjustments need to be made, they are done in PP.
09-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you need more options.

I change WB when I know I don't want to deal with harsh color casts and the lighting is predictible, but othewise I shoot daylight balanced and correct in PP. Thi sis even though I shoot JPEGs.

WOrks just fine for me.

Big issues, stage lighting because it is all over the map.

also shade mode does not properly account for green cast in the forest

09-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I leave it on Auto and shoot RAW. If needed, I fix it during processing. The K7 does a great job with Auto WB. Some lighting throws it off (street lights, parking lot lights), but it's nothing PP the RAW won't fix.
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I leave it on cloudy, as it gives a warmer tone to shots and then if I need to, I change it in lightroom. I shoot everything in RAW as well.
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The K-7 has amazingly good auto white balance. Much improved from my earlier K10D, which was already pretty good. Usually, I find the preset options to be too strong / not a great match, so if I'm in a difficult situation I generally correct after the fact.

09-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Indoors with bad lighting my K10D tends to turn photos a bit yellow. I change it to the light bulb setting then. When I do some studio work (it sounds cooler than it is, mainly a large piece of paper and some flashes) I whip out my gray card and take calibrate the WB from that.
09-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
So from the responses some people use the WB...

But from the poll, almost no one uses it!
09-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

+1
I use P and auto WB. If necessary I adjust the WB in PP.
09-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've long shot with digicams -- three copies of the 5mpx Sony DSC-V1, and its little sibling the 5mpx -P10, and before them the ancient 1mpx -P20. (All of which I still use.) All generate JPGs; and when I started with the K20D, I also shot JPGs only. With all, I leave WB on AUTO. With all, I customarily PP with PaintShopPro3 and use the REMOVE COLOR CAST option, because ALL of them fail to auto-set WB correctly.

Now I shoot RAW ONLY on the K20D, and I still leave WB on AUTO, and I still have to fix the WB / color temp in PP. If I'm going to shoot artifacts in my cabinets lit by tungsten-filtered CF's, then I'll set WB to TUNGSTEN, and I'll usually have less to fix in PP. When shooting IR with any camera, I'll try to set WB. Otherwise I just accept the inevitable -- light temp is too variable to adjust WB for every shot, so I'll fix it later. That's just part of the process.
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

White Balance for filter use

I shoot almost exclusively by manually choosing the WB and in Raw. It allows me to use graduated warming filters and "cooling" filters effectively. Overall WB can still be adjusted in D Dkrm if necessary but I do not need to mask or fix other areas which would take much more time in Post Process.
09-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I voted No because I can change the WB with photoshop (I shoot only RAW files).
10-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #14

I'm using a K-x and I don't shoot JPEG much but when I do I use Auto WB. The K-x does a really good job with it.
10-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use auto all the time but I'm not always happy with the results and I'm not very good with color in pp so it can be a bummer. This is something I'm starting to work on and it's pretty intimidating.